FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Trialists

We don't do brevity. We're Inverness Caledonian Thistle Football Club for flip sake. Must be down to the slower pace of life up in the highlands that central belt pundits always talk about. We have plenty of spare time up here, so don't need to abridge anything.

Apart from abridge and acastle......

• Agree 1

really ? 

this is what Wiki has to say about him 

Following his release, he underwent trials at Dutch Eredivisie side NEC Nijmegen.[5] He was linked with moves to GenoaSporting Lisbon and Sporting Braga. On 19 June 2009, the 18-year-old attacking midfielder joined Standard Liège on a two year deal. On 29 July 2011, Manchester United declared their interest in the player, with the manager Alex Ferguson dubbing him as a player for the future

I see he's an internationalist for DR Congo - which excited me, as I thought he'd add to the nationalities played at the TCS!
But, on checking, Calvin Zola (Aberdeen) has already done that!
No point signing him then. :lol:

Any truth that we've signed Andrea Mbyui-Mutombo?

I've heard that.  Seemingly he's agreed a deal and spent the weekend sorting things out at home and will be unveiled this week.  No idea how true that is but that's the story I heard.

Called it!

giphy.gif

his goal scoring record is hardly inspiring as solving our problems

....agree, but that is because it doesn't look like he's a striker (more an attacking midfielder). So, we still seem to have failed to effectively fill the obvious holes in the team: effective striker and left back.

We don't really know if we've failed to fill the effective striker role yet, unless you're judging Lopez on 150 minutes of football with unfamiliar team-mates. How long did it take Rooney and Mckay to come good? Agree about the left back issue though.

I too, agree that we're nearly there with our squad. A left-sided defender, as most agree, would be good and another attacking player, preferably an out-and-out centre-forward. Andrea Mbuyi-Mutombo doesn't appear to be a striker per-se, but more of an attacking-midfielder or even a winger. Often, that's labelled as a 'forward' - but it's difficult to give a player a specific role in modern football. Some players are versatile and can compete in a number of positions.

But his career stats on Wikipedia are correct, as I've checked on other databases, so he's certainly not going to be getting us too many goals. He's 25 and has a career total of just 7. The transfer window runs until 1st September, so no panic - and as Renegade pointed-out, it doesn't really affect us anyway, as we don't go looking to buy players.
Good luck to Andrea!

Changed days from the 'team GB' Butcher era. Hopefully Yogi knows what he's doing!

Nah, he hasn't got a clue. He didn't lead us to our best league position and Scottish Cup glory.

He also inherited the strongest squad in our history. I'm not questioning his coaching ability. Just expressing apprehension that our transfer policy, which has served us so well, seems to have radically changed.  

• Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

He also inherited the strongest squad in our history. I'm not questioning his coaching ability. Just expressing apprehension that our transfer policy, which has served us so well, seems to have radically changed.  

It hasn't radically changed. It Mutombo signs, we will have 2 players in the squad who aren't from the British Isles, which is probably about on a par with what we have had for the last decade. 

Edited by Guest

Any truth that we've signed Andrea Mbyui-Mutombo?

I've heard that.  Seemingly he's agreed a deal and spent the weekend sorting things out at home and will be unveiled this week.  No idea how true that is but that's the story I heard.

Called it!

giphy.gif

called what? You answered a question with pure speculation you fandan! :blink:

Seems to be a promising signing although we still need a proven out and out striker. However I'm now looking forward to Saturday for 2 reasons:

1. First game on our charge to the title although we'll settle for third place!! 

2. To hear what kind of chant our ultras behind the goal can come up with for our new signing 

2. To hear what kind of chant our ultras behind the goal can come up with for our new signing 

Well, there's an obvious rhyme, with"Mutombo" and "Congo". In fact I can't help but be reminded of an old TV advert....!

While I'm happy to give players a chance at our club, given the lack of striker options his goal scoring record is hardly inspiring as solving our problems. I shall await to be proven otherwise though.

If I remember correctly Billy Mckay was hardly prolific at Northampton Town. Something like 13 goals in 74 games according to wiki. He was more a hard running work his socks off type as opposed to the goal machine he turned into.

Even then it took him a while to become a regular scorer.

I was speaking to a player's mate yesterday who said that we have 2 trialists at the club this week. No idea who, but I see on Pie & Bovril Vigurs name is mentioned. 

I was speaking to a player's mate yesterday who said that we have 2 trialists at the club this week. No idea who, but I see on Pie & Bovril Vigurs name is mentioned. 

He has been training with Brora Rangers this week