FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

DON'T DO IT!

Gringo

Aye, bad one and close to home. There has been a terrible amount of deaths recently, probably mostly avoidable.

Remember, you are only as good as your last corner............trust me...........from a mann who has tested all the corners in the north.............SLOW DOWN YOU YOUNG FEKKERS IF YOU WANT TO SEE ICT LIFT THE CUP.

Check out Top Gear this weekend...:-

Following is from my works web doodah.....

All eyes will be on BBC2's Top Gear this Sunday (4 February) to see what happens when a high speed train hits a stationary car on a level crossing.

The high-impact stunt, filmed last August and made possible by us {Network Rail}, supports our ‘Level crossings: don't run the risk' public information campaign.

Network Rail teams helped the Top Gear production crew to stage the crash at Hibaldstow level crossing in Lincolnshire. Over three months our people assessed the risk, prepared the site and locomotive, protected the level crossing, organised possessions and mounted the cameras.

And their hard worked paid off when the 107-tonne train crashed into the stationary car on the crossing at almost 70mph.

To find out exactly what happened make sure you watch BBC2 on Sunday at 8pm: you'll be shocked – Jeremy Clarkson was...

I'm not at all suprised.....if you'd seen the pic's I've seen it'd put you off driving for life....the one on the BBC site is very mild compared to them and far too 'frieghtening' to put on here.

Gringo_Jnr.......

A colleague of mine lives round the corner from this. He heads that way home and would have missed the incident by literally minutes after his night shift

recons some local lads were racing the train to beat it over the crossing. how much is truth and how much is speculation, knowone really knows i guess. The lad killed was in his lads class in school, so they're a bit cut up about it, obviously.

End of the day the Warning lights are there for all to see... i agree with TMFJ.

Boy racers should take a look especially, as should those who think that a car/motorbike/pedestrian will beat a train

I can't believe that some people are blaming the crossing as it didn't have a barrier.

I understand the driver of the car passed his test only a few weeks ago.... Sounds like a classic case of trying to run, before you've learned to walk.....

This government is constantly devising new rules and legislation about anything and everything. Why is this carnage being allowed to continue?  Speed limiters, maximum CC for teenagers, defensive driver training, better public transport so kids don't have to buy cars so young. Ideas that could be implemented now. How many more young kids have to die before something is done? It's a disgrace. :007:

Problem is AM if the government (and it doesn't matter which party is in power) decide to introduce 'restrictive' legislation to motorists they will, undoubtedly, loose out in votes as many motorists (new and old) will look upon it as blight on them. Basically, so far as the political parties are concerned, votes are more important than peoples lives.

There have allegedly been accusations made by someone on the scene very soon after the incident that the warning lights were not operating on the crossing - something I believe the rail operator or whoever is responsible is refuting.

Did it not say on the BBC website that police seem to think the lights were working perfectly

Why, whenever there is an incident on todays railways, do the railways get blame when most of the time its a.n.other.

Mind an incident a couple years ago when a landrover came off a motorway and landed on the tracks, later to be hit by a GNER train - why was it network rail's fault for not putting up better roadside barriers - surely a Highway maintenence issue?

Anyway - Only evidence with prove who's fault it is, but end of the day it has happened, and our sympathy should go the the families.

Problem is AM if the government (and it doesn't matter which party is in power) decide to introduce 'restrictive' legislation to motorists they will, undoubtedly, loose out in votes as many motorists (new and old) will look upon it as blight on them. Basically, so far as the political parties are concerned, votes are more important than peoples lives.

Sorry Gringo, but I disagree. The untimely death of so many youngsters is a true blight and has to be addressed now. Such " restrictve " legislation would only affect the young and inexperienced drivers and would actually benefit them in giving them the opportunity to learn the skills necessary to drive and survive. A government ( any party ) introducing such legislation would gain popular support for such a move. What is the alternative, allowing this carnage to continue?

On first hearing about this incident I suppose I jumped to the conclusion that teenage bravado was at the root of it.  That may well be the case but a low sun obscuring the flashing lights could also have been a factor as I see often with traffic lights around Inverness.

Two years as a Driving Instructor has both firmed up some opinions but also changed my mind on some others.  One thing that concerns me greatly is that new drivers tend to want a licence more than they want to drive well.  Occasionally I have learners desperate to do their test before they are ready and putting pressure on me to let them go for it.  In the early days I let them do it once or twice but not any more.

Those who do pass their tests are very vulnerable.  From time to time I do Pass Plus courses for those who have recently passed their tests.  They can handle the cars well but lack the experience and savvy that will come with years of driving.

New drivers, particularly teenage ones, deserve extra protection though many would not thank you for it.  I would make these changes.

1. Limit the size of car new drivers can drive for the first two years to around 1200cc

2. Make P plates compulsory for the first two years

3. Limit new teenage drivers to one teenage passenger for the first two years

Other possibilities could involve going down the Northern Ireland route of limiting new drivers to 45mph in their first year.  Increasing the age to 18 might also help though it would not do my business any good for 12 months!

Great post and I would agree with all of your thoughts and observations

Also agree that there are many factors which contribute to accidents over and above human error/neglect.

It wasn't till I started driving the buses that I really begun to realise just how many "problem spots" exist in Inverness alone.  There are some streets in particular where if the sun is bright you can guarantee you won't be able to see traffic lights and if the sun is in your face you can even struggle to clearly see junctions etc, especially when the road is wet and you get the glare from that aswell.  Where I really notice it though is when the sun is hitting your mirrors, there are bus stops in town where you can't see feck all behind you if the sun is bright (the stop at Inshes heading out towards Culloden just after the roundabout is one of the worst) and without the option of an over the shoulder check your practically screwed and just have to inch out until you get a clear mirror.

Saw you introducing one of your pupils to the new system in town last week (a fairly good looking mousey blonde if memory serves?) - you were coming up Church Street from the Friars Lane end and I patiently waited at the junction to Queensgate on the opposite side for you to clear and I never even got so much as a wave, so next time it's no prisoners  :016:

Well said DJS, but I would take that a bit further.

1. Provisional at 18.

2. P plates until passed either Pass Plus or similiar. ( MIDAS car etc. )

3. Limit engine size to 1000cc until passed above.

4. Limit P plate drivers to one passenger.

5. Improve public transport so young kids in rural areas don't have to get a car asap.

6. More mobile speed cameras to catch the idiots who speed and threaten all of our lives as well as their own.

All of these ideas could be implemented at short notice, and would have an immediate impact on the amount of young drivers being killed on our roads.

oh my!!!

there for the grace of God go i.... every time i hear of such a tragic death, those are the words i say.  

i agree whole heartedly with some of the above posts in restricting the size of engine for people who have just past their tests.....

spending many, many miles as a 'girl' racer, going as fast as my wee honda civic would go, i hared round the spey valley and beyond, loaded with pals, for a couple of years, until ciril (the civic) went on to a better place, far away from my heavy clutch use, spin take~offs and hand~brake turns.

i honestly believe that wee car saved my live.  speed is a huge factor in these accidents and if i was able to buy a faster one, lord only knows if i would be here today.  after ciril came bugs, the capri, much faster, but by that time, i had a bit of experience so was far more equiped to handle it.