FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

MERGED: McDonald signs for ICT

CaleyD

so is this signing a fluke, or do some members of the anti-Christie brigade still believe that our manager doesn't have any contacts from who we can sign players?

Aye because signing a player from an English team shuts all the doubters up  :015:

I think the lad will do fine for us.

Anyone got a song about him lined up?

How about Deeeano, Deeeano, Deeeeano :004:

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am curious what the transfer fee is because I have heard it is in the region of 30-60K."

It's probably the £35K we got for selling them Hissy a couple of seasons ago  :004:

ICT optimistic as they sign fresh talent

Published:  03 July, 2007

CALEY Thistle were expecting to complete the signing of Gillingham striker Dean McDonald yesterday evening after both clubs agreed a nominal fee for the player.

The 21-year-old former Arsenal trainee was due to arrive in the Highland Capital for a medical before signing a two-year contract with Inverness.

Caley Thistle's director of football, Graeme Bennett, told the Courier that he expected all the paperwork to be completed yesterday afternoon and subject to his medical, McDonald would officially become a Caley Jags player by this morning.

"We have managed to get the paperwork sorted out with Gillingham and Dean is currently in the process of flying up today so he can undergo a medical," added Bennett.

"There is a nominal fee involved, but we're delighted that the deal is now nearly completed."

McDonald will be manager Charlie Christie's second signing of the summer having already secured the services of former Ross County captain Don Cowie on a free transfer, and he was pleased that his patience was finally rewarded by capturing a player who scored six goals in 19 appearances for the Gills in English League One last season.

"I feel we've taken our time and it's paid off because I believe we're bringing the right type of player in," stated Christie. "What impressed both myself and Graeme Bennett was that straight away Dean expressed a real desire to come to Caley Thistle.

"In the past, this club has brought in young players with potential and it has worked well, so hopefully it will continue to do so."

McDonald and Cowie, however, seem certain to be the only new faces that fly out with the rest of the Caley Thistle squad on Sunday for their week-long pre-season training camp in Italy.

Austrian duo Dominique Taboga and Benny Bauer were due to start training with Inverness yesterday, but their trial has been delayed after the former injured himself while preparing for his stint in the Highland Capital.

Christie confirmed last week that 24-year-old centre half Taboga, who spent last season at Austrian Second Division side SC Kapfenberg, and Admira Wacker striker Bauer (20) were being given the chance to impress with the possibility of one or both players making the trip to Tuscany, but their trial has now been put on hold until Caley Thistle return home.

"There was no point in them coming over when one of them was injured," added Christie. "We have now told them to come back over on 16th July, but it's not a huge blow.

"We were only going to be having a look at them and also it might not work out, so I'm not too disappointed with the delay.

"The two Austrian players are just one of four or five options we are taking a look at just now and we do have other avenues we can explore should it not work out."

One option for Christie could well be a French central defender who is expected to join Caley Thistle for pre-season training when they arrive back from Italy.

Meanwhile, former Inverness striker Craig Dargo has described his decision to call time on his Caley Jags career last month as "heart-wrenching".

The 29-year-old, who scored 31 goals in 62 appearances for Caley Thistle, joined St Mirren on a free transfer last week, but praised the Highland Capital club's efforts as they strove to maintain his services.

"It was heart-wrenching," he said. "I had two great years up there and I haven't got a bad word to say about anybody.

"I was delighted with the efforts the club made to keep me and obviously I thank them for everything they have done.

"It was a decision I just felt I had to make. It was right for myself and my family.

"I considered all the offers on the table, but once I spoke to Gus (MacPherson, St Mirren manager) I knew this is where I wanted to be."

Courier Link

First of all Deano welcome to the familia...

Bruce%20Pingree_marlonbrando_godfather.png

(Never gets old :023: )

Why would Dominique Taboga and Benny Bauer have to come over at the same time? are they the Brown and Thompson of Austria? Seems very strange!

Who is the French defender?

And lastly, although I am still annoyed at the way Dargo has left I was happy to see him acknowledge the club.  There have plenty that have gone before him and not done so.  Fair play.

"I am always on his case because he is not the finished article. Dean is improving but I still need more from him especially when he doesn't have the ball."

At 21 I wouldnt expect him to be the finished article, but from what we have all seen on YouTube, he knows his way around the penalty box. A few goals, good effort and teamwork and the boy will be just fine. He wont be the messiah but if he can start banging a few in he will be a firm fan favourite.

Guest sophia

Dean,

Welcome to the Highlands of Scotland, the most beautiful part of the British Isles.

I hope your stay here is long and fruitful for both you and the club that you will play for.

As none of us know your father you will have to understand that you will start from a very low base, lets say -72. If we did have some knowledge of your paternal heritage you would probably start from, oh about -27.

Don't be too concerned by the lack of initial respect. You will find that if work hard you will soon run into the positive until ........ well perhaps you would want to ask Stuart Golabeck what the reaction was to his display on the 1st game of last season.

kencar, that is the most cynical post I have read today!

Dean,

Welcome to the Highlands of Scotland, the most beautiful part of the British Isles.

I hope your stay here is long and fruitful for both you and the club that you will play for.

As none of us know your father you will have to understand that you will start from a very low base, lets say -72. If we did have some knowledge of your paternal heritage you would probably start from, oh about -27.

Don't be too concerned by the lack of initial respect. You will find that if work hard you will soon run into the positive until ........ well perhaps you would want to ask Stuart Golabeck what the reaction was to his display on the 1st game of last season.

kencar, that is the most cynical post I have read today!

No idea what you are talking about?  :024:

Yep....strange one.

Golly probably deserved the critisism he got for his performance that day, i would say he cost us the game.

How can you assume Deano will start negative? or are you fishing?

One Gills fan described him as an umpa lumpa!

So, there's your Dean McDonald song.

umpa-lumpa-40881.jpg

oompa - loompa -doopedeedoo .... OMG MCDonalds scored two .....

oompa - loompa -doopedeedee .... and another, now its three ......

Guest sophia

Caley100 wrote "Golly probably deserved the criticism he got for his performance that day" and summed up beautifully my point.

I'll put it plainly:

For some.

Dean will be distrusted from the off.

He may well be given the benefit of the doubt at some point.

When it's time to go he will be the target of invective that is stomach turning.

Caley100 wrote "Golly probably deserved the criticism he got for his performance that day" and summed up beautifully my point.

I'll put it plainly:

For some.

When it's time to go he will be the target of invective that is stomach turning.

What's your point caller?

I'll put it plainly:

For some.

What did you expect if you post that kind of thing about golly?

you're on the way to Clachnaharry when the rest of the train is going to Nairn... shoulder / chip?

For some.

I havent seen any 'distrust' of him on here ? Most fans seem to relish his signing. If anything what we might be guilty of is expecting too much from him too soon and I would agree that this could have negative connotations with some supporters if things dont go well for him from the very start (ie. he doesnt score goals !) if that is what you meant.

The player himself seems pretty switched on and realised this before he even signed. He said that the first thing he did when he heard of the club's interest in him was to have a look on the internet and I reckon he has probably visited here and read a few of the comments which prompted him to make the comments in the press that he is a different type of player than Dargo and not necessarily an out and out goalscorer/poacher. However, he seems confident enough in his ability to tell us what he is good at and if he can score some decent goals and show the kind of in-the-box skills we have all now seen on YouTube then he will have some very vociferous supporters to speak up for him when any doubters do start their nonsense.

As for leaving the club - lets worry about that later ... he hasnt even kicked a ball for us yet !!! He has signed for two years with an option for a third (not something I have ever heard of in an ICT contract before incidentally). If he does well for us then it might be inevitable that he either goes back to a bigger team in England or to one of our higher paying rivals in the SPL. I dont think ICT fans in general have a problem with that scenario so long as the player himself is honest with the fans.

Dods got some stick last season when the DUFC interest was noted but a lot more people gave him credit for finishing the season and giving 100% even though he was moving to another club. Many of these same people were angry at Dargo because they felt he was stringing the club along .... Its not the fact of the player leaving, its how they do it that generates the reaction. Dennis Wyness going to Hearts is another prime example of how to do it right. Again, I credit Dean with being pretty savvy when it comes to this and if the time comes, perhaps he will check the internet again, gauge the fan mood and make the appropriate (honest) comments.

Sophia .... it appears to me that in this case, it is the fans who are being distrusted from the off and I seriously doubt whether we will be given the benefit of the doubt at any point.