FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

MERGED: McDonald signs for ICT

CaleyD

From Sky Sports Today....

Inverness Caledonian Thistle are closing on a deal for Gillingham striker Dean McDonald.

The SPL club are hoping to sign McDonald on a two-year contract, just 12 months after the player joined Gillingham from Ipswich Town.

He weighed in with six goals in 30 appearances for the Gills, but Inverness boss Charlie Christie feels the 21-year-old is capable of having a better impact in Scotland.

"We met Dean for talks and were greatly impressed by how he spoke," Christie told the Daily Record.

"We asked him if he regarded this as a step up and he said he viewed it as two steps up from Gillingham.

"I've had very good reports from people who know him, but he felt he didn't figure in Gillingham's system and style.

"Director of football Graeme Bennett is working to finalise an agreement with Dean's club and I'm just waiting for the call now to say it's done."

Inverness are also due to hand pre-season trials to Dominique Taboga, of Austrian club SV Kaptenberg, and Admira Wacker's Benedict Bauer.

Christie added: "We'll take one or both with us to Italy depending on how they show up next season.

"They are keen to play in Scotland and know the size and structure of our club. Their CVs are impressive, but I need to see them play."

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Sportinglife

INVERNESS CLOSE IN ON McDONALD

Inverness hope to complete the signing of Gillingham striker Dean McDonald next week.

The Lambeth-born 21-year-old has a year to run on his two-year contract, but Inverness are confident they can push through a deal for the former Arsenal and Ipswich player.

Inverness director of football Graeme Bennett said: "We're making good progress, but discussions will continue into next week. Dean himself is keen to join us."

"We asked him if he regarded this as a step up and he said he viewed it as two steps up from Gillingham.

I love the guy already  :021:

Yes, thats a nice quote ... and having watched the youtube links, we may soon forget about Dargo ... that boy knows where the back of the net is and seems to be able to not only position himself well but also take a touch and belt it home.......

Next week!!

Looks like this one has the potential to drag on for a bit (as usual)  :029:

My thoughts exactly. Could be another saga on the cards here....

I hope not though. He looks a decent player, and if it all comes off it'll be a good bit of business I reckon.

Just some defensive cover needed now!

My thoughts exactly. Could be another saga on the cards here....

It sounds like terms have been agreed with the player and agent (which is usually the major stumbling block) and we just have to dot all the i's and cross the t's with the club and it just so happens the people we need to speak to are out of the country on holiday. Doesnt sound like it will be a saga and from what I have seen so far, Charlie may well have pulled off a great signing.

reading between the lines, it also sounds like the sponsorship of flybe might have helped here .... wasnt it mentioned that one of the things being discussed with the player was flights up/down the country .... hopefully flybe gave him or the club a sweet deal to sort that one out  :021:

Hope ye'r right Scotty, but I can't help getting nervous that it'll all fall through!!

If he does sign, CC and the board deserve a lot of credit. Looking at the Gillingham forums he McDonald seems highly rated by them, and the goal clips seem to suggest he'll be an excellent, much younger, replacement for Dargs.

Fingers crossed :022:

Hope ye'r right Scotty, but I can't help getting nervous that it'll all fall through!!

If he does sign, CC and the board deserve a lot of credit. Looking at the Gillingham forums he McDonald seems highly rated by them, and the goal clips seem to suggest he'll be an excellent, much younger, replacement for Dargs.

Fingers crossed :022:

yeah - nervous but optimistic ....

Can't find it online anywhere but it was on Radio Scotland and confirmed by Grassa that the lad is up here so we can check him over.  No offer has been made yet.

Top notch on the youtube shots. I am going to renew my season ticket on the strength of that alone!

Also at the risk of seeming PC - I am glad that we are getting a person of colour in the team, hopefully.  21st century here we come!

"Talking of McDonalds, does anyone know what happened to James MacDonald the Inverness boy who played for Scotland schoolboys and signed for Arsenal maybe ten years back?"

think he's living down dalneigh nextdoor to my mate.not 100% sure its him bt my mate said he played for a big team just can't remember who.always has loud music playing.might have broken his leg.can't remeber but will find out if its him or not.

No. I know exactly what happened to Kevin. Still in the game at Villa I think.

No this boy played two years in the Victory Shield for Scotland. Could be nearer 15 years ago. Time flies!

He was forced to quit football a good few years back due to knee injuries. He is now back in Inverness.

Charlie Bannerman says on Radio Scotland that the Dean Macdonald deal is done and he is expected to be at training today!

And... that the two Austrian players will NOT be arriving today as planned,  Bauer has an injury and their will be a delay possibly till the 15 th July.

Medical tonight and he will be an ICT player by tomorrow. agreement has been reached with Gillingham and the player has agreed terms.

Welcome aboard young man.

Charlie Bannerman says on Radio Scotland that the Dean Macdonald deal is done and he is expected to be at training today!

And... that the two Austrian players will NOT be arriving today as planned,  Bauer has an injury and their will be a delay possibly till the 15 th July.

To be precise: "Caley Thistle say they're now VERY CLOSE to a done deal for Gillingham striker Dean MacDonald. Agreements have been reached with both club and player and he's now expected to arrive in Inverness today to start training. But not arriving today will be Austrian duo Dominic Toboga and Benni Bauer. Toboga is now injured so their observation trip has been postponed until the 16th."

I wouldn't like Grassa or Charlie reading this thread and thinking I was making any assumptions on their behalf, but Caley 100 has more or less correctly quoted the situation as I understood it late yesterday afternoon.

CALEY TO SIGN GILLS STRIKER

Inverness have agreed terms with Gillingham striker Dean McDonald.

The 21-year-old is expected to become an Inverness player on Tuesday after undergoing a medical.

Director of football Graeme Bennett said: "Dean has accepted terms and will have a medical this evening.

"We've sorted things out with Gillingham and we anticipate the paperwork being completed in time for Dean to be our player on Tuesday.

"If so, he'll start training immediately with the squad."

McDonald scored six goals in 30 appearances for the Gills last season and had a year left on his contract.

He joined the Coca-Cola League One side a year ago from Ipswich, where he made 14 appearances.

The former Arsenal trainee also had a loan spell at Hartlepool while at Portman Road.

wOOHOO!  :021: :021: