FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Self policing

RossP

This has been on my mind over the last few days following the Aberdeen game...

Where I was sat (near the back), there were a few guys, who from what I can guess were fans who lived in Aberdeen (based on their knowledge of Aberdeen & their novelty at being at a game).

They spent the whole game slagging off our players when it wasn't needed at all i.e. a cross the pitch pass to Rossco in space, was met with "Noooo... you're $%?&!! Pass it forward you $??$%!!", despite the pass leading to a chance. Then when it got to 2-0, they started on "We're $%?& and we know we are" etc. Note: this was quite close to the "singing section", so many in the crowd probably couldn't hear it. Further note: No-one else but these 2-3 took on that song.

Had a word with the guy (roughly same age as me), saying his chat is rubbish and if he didn't have anything positive to sing, then shut it. Met with blank stare.

****************Here's the important bit*******************

During the second half, this guy made 3 racist shouts towards the boy Aluko for merely tearing one of our players a new arse. At this point I called him a pr*ck; this time met with a shrug of the shoulders. I then muttered something about he should maybe start supporting the old firm as they'll cater to his hobbies a bit more...

I recognise the guy, and i'm not sure how. He's either someone who's lived in Aberdeen for the last few years and i've just seen him out, or I know him from growing up in Elgin. Either way he is a total embarrassment as a "fan", and a human being. I just hope I don't bump into him on a night out  :008:

Should I have reported him to the nearest steward? I feel I had a responsibility as a "respected"  :015: member of the public, to shop him; but felt a bit weird about approaching a steward to say "Excuse me, but he said something racist". Can stewards do anything about it, if they didn't see or hear anything?

Wish i'd just moved seat now. Or stayed at home  :023:

This has been on my mind over the last few days following the Aberdeen game...

Where I was sat (near the back), there were a few guys, who from what I can guess were fans who lived in Aberdeen (based on their knowledge of Aberdeen & their novelty at being at a game).

They spent the whole game slagging off our players when it wasn't needed at all i.e. a cross the pitch pass to Rossco in space, was met with "Noooo... you're $%?&!! Pass it forward you $??$%!!", despite the pass leading to a chance. Then when it got to 2-0, they started on "We're $%?& and we know we are" etc. Note: this was quite close to the "singing section", so many in the crowd probably couldn't hear it. Further note: No-one else but these 2-3 took on that song.

Had a word with the guy (roughly same age as me), saying his chat is rubbish and if he didn't have anything positive to sing, then shut it. Met with blank stare.

****************Here's the important bit*******************

During the second half, this guy made 3 racist shouts towards the boy Aluko for merely tearing one of our players a new arse. At this point I called him a pr*ck; this time met with a shrug of the shoulders. I then muttered something about he should maybe start supporting the old firm as they'll cater to his hobbies a bit more...

I recognise the guy, and i'm not sure how. He's either someone who's lived in Aberdeen for the last few years and i've just seen him out, or I know him from growing up in Elgin. Either way he is a total embarrassment as a "fan", and a human being. I just hope I don't bump into him on a night out  :008:

Should I have reported him to the nearest steward? I feel I had a responsibility as a "respected"  :015: member of the public, to shop him; but felt a bit weird about approaching a steward to say "Excuse me, but he said something racist". Can stewards do anything about it, if they didn't see or hear anything?

Wish i'd just moved seat now. Or stayed at home  :023:

don't think you can criticise someone just cos they're slagging the team and i've heard folk singing we're $%?& and we know we are on occasions - and we probably are...

however....

and i have posted this before...

at a game against raith many moons ago i was sitting near someone who started making rasist comments about either Agathe or Andrews or maybe even both (that shows you how long ago it was...).  i remember turning round and looking at them but never said anything.  to this day i truly regret that.

i would hope that i would have the courage to say to someone now and hope that they would take heed on the first telling. if not - i would certainly say something to a steward or police.  it would probably mean that i would have to move my seat as i'm not particularly interested in making myself a target for someone like that...

pretty sad that it should take place in the weeks when all clubs are supporting give racism the red card....

however, i do think it was a bit unfair mentioning the 'old firm' in this context as every team has it's morons in the support and them no more or less than others and we have a fair few too...

With regards the racist comment, they'd get one warning from me and I'd leave them in no doubt whatsoever that if they repeated it then I'd report them.

I'm not easily intimidated so the thought of becoming a target for their abuse (or worse) wouldn't really enter my head, but can understand it being a concern for some people.  It would probably be more sensible to take a trip to the toilets and have a word with a steward out of sight of the offender to prevent any backlash.

Getting in to an argument with them serves no purpose and you only risk landing yourself in bother, especially if you make threats or use colourful language to put your point over.  Although admittedly this is probably what I'd find myself doing  :029:

If the stewards heard or saw nothing then I'm not sure what they would do, but I would expect them to follow up on the complaint and have a word.

Guest donmac298

I remember a couple of seasons ago one of our supporters was shouting very personal things which were not very nice (to put it mildly) to Tangoman and I shouted to him that there was no need for that.

It seemed to do the trick and he shut up, especially when two or three others agreed with me.

I think usually the knowledge that yer pissing off yer own fans is enuff to make someone shut up. As far as the slagging for the way the team is playing, am every bit as bad for using expletives. But in fairness, its not at normally that audible and NEVER if there was kids about

Does this not come under the banner of "show racism the red flag"?.  Maybe not racist but certainly offensive.  Support is support - are we not supporters -  criticism is OK but sometimes!??? OTT, not constructive by any means.   

I have been known, in the present season, to go to a Steward |(not about criticism of players but about drink within stadium) and complain - however the Steward wanted me to point out the offender(s), which I was not about to do (female, not paid to do Stewards job, etc) but, as I had done this quietly, the complaint was eventually dealt with, satisfactorily, happily for all around, and without any unpleasantness.

Am a great believer in, if a comment to the offender is not accepted by the person(s) involved, then deal with it officially, but unobtrusively, and then you will feel so much better and, hopefully, everyone else around will enjoy the game so much more.

I'll be there, to back you up, any time.  Roscoe is Superman!!!!!

I say well done Ross P

I also had some geeks behind me at Easter road a couple of years ago spouting drivel everytime Rossco got the ball.  I won't add the swears but it went along the lines of why give him the ball he is sh*** why does he get a game...........you get the drift, think it was the season after Ross swept the boards in the player awards.  These are probably not true supporters, more like guys from Inverness living in Edinburgh and out on the lash.  I eventually turned round and told them to shut the ?()*$ up and got a similar response, shrug and verbals. Thankfully they moved along a bit at half time but the constant sniping spoils the day out.

No need for the racist abuse, is it not an offence?