FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Football and fireworks.

Charles Bannerman

Whilst following in the media the saga of the Inverness Common Good Fund cash for the closing ceremony of Highland 2007 and its associated fireworks display, I couldn't help but think back to a couple of instances over the last decade or so where there was debate over CGF money being allocated to football.

One of the longest and most bitter arguments over any decision by Inverness District Council took place across 1995-96 (dates amended by a decade thanks to Scotty's eagle eye!) when the Council stumbled from one crisis to another over David Stewart's motion to give Caley Thistle ?900,000 towards the cost of the Caledonian Stadium, or more specifically the road on which Highland Council had insisted as one of a plethora of planning conditions.

The motion was carried, then cancelled on QC's advice on the strength of the presence of the word "payable" and then there was the marginal failure of an attempt to suspend Standing Orders to have the issue discussed again. Under threat of legal action and with the future of Caley Thistle in the balance, the embryonic Highland Council (which, in its urgency to solve the problem, contacted Dougie McGilvray in his hotel room in California) agreed to pay the money from the CGF... but it had to be in two instalments due to shortage of ready funds. The whole saga was an unholy rammy which lasted for months and tore Inverness District Council apart.

Then a couple of years later, Clach were (again) in very straitened circumstances and ?280,000 of CGF money was spent purchasing Grant Street Park from ICT Properties. This was not a gift - Clach had to pay 5% of the value of the transaction annually (?14K) as rent - and the CGF continues to own Grant Street as an asset. All the same, there was still some unhappiness in certain quarters about the deal which ensured football for the Merkinch whilst acquiring an investment for the CGF as well as income.

More recently still, a very similar amount of CGF cash - ?250,000 - has been allocated to the end of 2007 celebration - at least ?150,000 of that towards a ?10,000 a minute fireworks display. Although there has been definite unhappiness about it within the Council, the allocation of these funds, much of which will be burned in a single night, certainly seems to have been rather more straightforward than the allocation of cash which saved Clach and which ultimately brought SPL football to Inverness and also opened up the entire harbour foreshore to development.

I also note with interest that the two ex Provosts - Bill Fraser and Allan Sellar - who were most involved with and supportive of the ICT cash, have stated that they believe that the allocation of the fireworks money is improper use of CGF assets since the Kessock Bridge is outwith Inverness.

Now, as an employee of Highland Council I'd better just state facts (which I have done above) rather than express opinions on HC policy (which they don't like their employees doing).

Any comparisons/ observations from those not employed by Highland Council?

I think they should pour money into our wonderful club.

And there was a nice firework display over Pittodrie the other day.

I also have a feeling that Fraser and Sellar have more against the idea than just that the Kessock Bridge is outwith Inverness (which I don't think it is).

To me it seems an awful waste to spend that amount of money on an event lasting several minutes when it could be spent on schools or even one of the Inverness clubs. We have to remember that football games bring in away supporters who spend money in local merchants and create long term wealth.

Even Chemistry teachers sometimes get their ingredients mixed up and their formulas wrong.

http://www.cipfa.org.uk/scotland/  Accounting for the Common Good................1.6 LASAAC recognises that there are many expert commentators on the Common Good. Much of their commentary extends beyond the remit of accounting and addresses both political matters as well as stewardship issues.

The expenditure of the Common Good is a matter for the discretion of the local authority provided that it is an honest exercise of discretion and that the projected use is not contrary to policy.

CGF money to ICT = good decision.

As CB mentions, the money given to ICT part funded the construction of a road to the stadium. This small investment has opened up vast tracts of previously inaccessible land and if they have done it right, should have netted the local authority many times more than the amount they gave. The profile of ICT at the time was high to us, but pretty low everywhere else in the country but with magical results in the ensuing time and elevation to the Premier League, the club has also helped market the city far and wide - both nationally and internationally.

CGF money to Clach = good decision.

The Clach money is a harder one to quantify in terms of what the council got back, but you could quite easily argue that it was indeed a legitimate expenditure for the "common good" of the Merkinch community. In council terms, they also now own a sizeable piece of land very close to the city centre which wont be dropping in value over the years !!! If there is ever a time where Caley Thistle & Clach (+ other local sports?) were to move to a new "community" stadium perhaps part funded by business and part by the city, or Clach become tenants at the TCS then this land will be worth a packet for developers. Not saying I want either thing to happen, but if it does, the council will once again make back far more than they spent.

CGF money to a fireworks display = bad decision.

This is a ludicrous decision on so many levels. I regularly view the online versions of the Courier and HN and have read the stories about this display with interest. It sounds like the council had the wool pulled over their eyes a little in thinking they were providing "up to" a certain amount and that this would be reduced if the organisers arranged sponsorship. Recent stories seem to suggest thats not the case and when more sponsorship was received, the organisers bought a few more fireworks !!! A fireworks display may be wonderful when it happens, and memorable for a day or two but it fizzles out all too quickly. I fail to see what lasting impact or continuing benefit it would give to the council or the residents of Inverness. Its not going to drive tourism, its not going to have people saying "we must travel to Inverness" in the same way as people travel to Times Square in NY for the New Year fireworks, its a waste of money that could be better spent elsewhere.

I agree with you, Charles....  :022:

Just in case any of my lords and masters at HC may read this, I haven't actually said anything which could be agreed with. All I've done is set out three groups of facts in relation to three decisions about the use of CGF cash. On the other hand Johnboy may simply be articulating a fairly common conclusion from these facts, but that conclusion has to be his and not mine.

Scotty... thanks for spotting my slip of a decade. I've amended the original.

It doesn't matter what money is spent on, you will always find those who will be able to provide a list of "more worthy causes".

We enjoy a pretty good standard of living in Inverness on the whole and if I'm totally honest I don't think spending ?250,000 on fireworks in a one off event is much to grumble over.  All work and no play etc etc.

Enjoy the display for what it is, and if you go, take a moment to look around at the smiles that it brings to many faces, young and old, as they escape from whatever other troubles and stresses they may (or may not) have in their lives......that is where you will see the value in such events.

Just in case any of my lords and masters at HC may read this, I haven't actually said anything which could be agreed with. All I've done is set out three groups of facts in relation to three decisions about the use of CGF cash. On the other hand Johnboy may simply be articulating a fairly common conclusion from these facts, but that conclusion has to be his and not mine.

Sorry Charles....

Hope I haven't got you into serious trouble here.... Of course all you were doing was setting out three groups of facts relating to the spending of CGF cash...

What I should say is that I am in complete agreement with the comments made by Chris123, Proctor, Kingsmills and Scottie in response to your tirade, er, em, straightforward and extremely lucid presentation of the facts in this matter....

All feckin councils spend some of their money on crap every so often - as CD says the world would be a poorer place without a degree of wanton frivolity - given some of the Health problems in the Highlands I would put it into Health Promotion, Walk in clinics and research - or experienced, renowned practitioners.  :001:

I cant believe that we have paid that much money from an Inverness fund for a Highland year of culture event, and also why could we not have had a shorter display and provided something for Invernessians for a homanay event, we must have been outshadowed by so many smaller places who gave their people some really good entertainment.

Its quite a pathetic way for the city to end the year in what was supposedly a year of culture.

Good points

Something nice to see when when all the New Year festivities are over.

They have probably picked the best event organisers, lets face it not many piro experts will be working on 12/1/08.

I think January is the most common month for suicides, It's possible this may save a life, but who will ever know.

More revenue for hotels,B&Bs, pubs and shops

Bad points

Choose between fireworks and Hibs v ICT

Could the money be more wisely spent elsewhere