FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

ONE LAST MARIUS DIG

I dont actually call that "slating" - it is fair criticism - I always am blunt in my positive and negative comments about everyone / everything - that was my observationfrom Saturday and one that was, after the game, widely supported. It has alot to do with how to play him but Marius often drifts - and shouldnt be allowed to. He has little movement and pace but has elements of pure class. I have said as much about a few others but tht has gone unnoticed - Unfortunately the members of this forum have become obsessed with Marius - from very different angles and very diverse opinions. Whether Marius likes it - he is hot news. I chuckle that I post and criticise others far more bluntly than Marius but everybody hones in any negative opinion / statement about Marius - fortunately a lot of people on here do not have dark glasses and can debate on the playing front rather than getting personal or "attacking" me.

Slating/Fair criticism...it's all semantics at the end of the day and I would still disagree that it is wholly justified.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Niculae is 100% effective every game, but what I am saying is that the only time he gets criticised is when he's having to play the role of dropping back to collect balls in midfield.  I wouldn't call that drifting, I'd call it getting involved in the game and I'd far rather see a player do that than stand up front with his finger up his butt doing nothing for 90 minutes because he's getting no/poor service.

Again, I fail to see how Niculae can be criticised for that.  If it was Bayne having to do the chasing back then he'd be getting hailed for his 110% work rate and commitment, but hey, that doesn't suit the lack of loyalty/commitment argument you've been playing out all season so you like to put another slant on it.

As you say, Niculae is "hot news", but regardless of which side of the fence you sit on he's hot news for all the wrong reasons.  His performances have been judged all season through glasses which have been tinted by over hyped expectation and the belief that he should be doing more to earn a level of wage he isn't even receiving.  That's poor management/naivety on the part of the club and some shocking reporting by the press who latched on the the figure of ?4000/?5000 per week which originated on this forums Rumour Mill.  So to suggest that Niculae has EVER been subject to fair criticism is, IMO, bollocks.

I have my opinions about loyalty - If Wyness was playing well and looking to go - I would be saying the same thing about him. I certainly aint going to curb my views cos I upset a few people who hve another perspective.

And as per usual a thread ends up "slating" me personally - Perhaps Marius will relate to me. Victimisation is an absolute way over the top accusation - It would appear that even the Admin are now failing to understand the point of an independent fans forum.

I never asked you to "curb your views", I was merely pointing out that your views appear to have a lot more to them than judging a man for his performance on the pitch.  There appears to be a very strong hidden agenda underlying your "fair criticism" of the player, not just recently, but from day one....and it looks like your obsessed with criticising/commenting on the guy.  Nearly every single topic you start or post you make involves the guy.  That's not me being blind to the other things you've said, that's fact...and it's there for everyone to see.

Your not upsetting people who have another perspective on things, your driving them away from the forum because, this season, you yourself have been unable to grasp the concept of reasoned footballing debate.  When someone disagrees with you then you think it's perfectly acceptable to tell them to feck aff or call them names, but the moment someone does the same thing in your direction you play the victim card - "Nobody understands IHE and they are just out to slate him personally"....boo feckin hoo.  Your not doing it because you can't take the craic, you've never done it on here before, and it only arises when people bring up your obsession with the whole Niculae thing....your the psychology expert, what kind of condition does that behaviour represent?

Neither this post or the last one have anything to do with my being a site admin or site admin telling you what you can and can't say, it's not about curbing your views or slating you personally.  Your a very clever man Johndo, you know how to play the game and stack the deck in your favour when it comes to discussion and disagreement.  I spot it because I have been known to do the very same thing myself and I can quickly see through the BS.  And you know what, under all this Niculae BS you have some very valid points to make and things to say about what's been happening and is still happening at the club, but it's being lost on the vast majority, and I think that's what's p!ssing you off more than anything else.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest stevico64

Don't worry Stevico....

Long after Marius has moved on from ICT, this debate will still be raging on here....  :rolleyes02:

Yep Johnboy I am sure you are right.

I dont actually call that "slating" - it is fair criticism - I always am blunt in my positive and negative comments about everyone / everything - that was my observationfrom Saturday and one that was, after the game, widely supported. It has alot to do with how to play him but Marius often drifts - and shouldnt be allowed to. He has little movement and pace but has elements of pure class. I have said as much about a few others but tht has gone unnoticed - Unfortunately the members of this forum have become obsessed with Marius - from very different angles and very diverse opinions. Whether Marius likes it - he is hot news. I chuckle that I post and criticise others far more bluntly than Marius but everybody hones in any negative opinion / statement about Marius - fortunately a lot of people on here do not have dark glasses and can debate on the playing front rather than getting personal or "attacking" me.

Slating/Fair criticism...it's all semantics at the end of the day and I would still disagree that it is wholly justified.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that Niculae is 100% effective every game, but what I am saying is that the only time he gets criticised is when he's having to play the role of dropping back to collect balls in midfield.  I wouldn't call that drifting, I'd call it getting involved in the game and I'd far rather see a player do that than stand up front with his finger up his butt doing nothing for 90 minutes because he's getting no/poor service.

Again, I fail to see how Niculae can be criticised for that.  If it was Bayne having to do the chasing back then he'd be getting hailed for his 110% work rate and commitment, but hey, that doesn't suit the lack of loyalty/commitment argument you've been playing out all season so you like to put another slant on it.

As you say, Niculae is "hot news", but regardless of which side of the fence you sit on he's hot news for all the wrong reasons.  His performances have been judged all season through glasses which have been tinted by over hyped expectation and the belief that he should be doing more to earn a level of wage he isn't even receiving.  That's poor management/naivety on the part of the club and some shocking reporting by the press who latched on the the figure of ?4000/?5000 per week which originated on this forums Rumour Mill.  So to suggest that Niculae has EVER been subject to fair criticism is, IMO, bollocks.

I have my opinions about loyalty - If Wyness was playing well and looking to go - I would be saying the same thing about him. I certainly aint going to curb my views cos I upset a few people who hve another perspective.

And as per usual a thread ends up "slating" me personally - Perhaps Marius will relate to me. Victimisation is an absolute way over the top accusation - It would appear that even the Admin are now failing to understand the point of an independent fans forum.

I never asked you to "curb your views", I was merely pointing out that your views appear to have a lot more to them than judging a man for his performance on the pitch.  There appears to be a very strong hidden agenda underlying your "fair criticism" of the player, not just recently, but from day one....and it looks like your obsessed with criticising/commenting on the guy.  Nearly every single topic you start or post you make involves the guy.  That's not me being blind to the other things you've said, that's fact...and it's there for everyone to see.

Your not upsetting people who have another perspective on things, your driving them away from the forum because, this season, you yourself have been unable to grasp the concept of reasoned footballing debate.  When someone disagrees with you then you think it's perfectly acceptable to tell them to feck aff or call them names, but the moment someone does the same thing in your direction you play the victim card - "Nobody understands IHE and they are just out to slate him personally"....boo feckin hoo.  Your not doing it because you can't take the craic, you've never done it on here before, and it only arises when people bring up your obsession with the whole Niculae thing....your the psychology expert, what kind of condition does that behaviour represent?

Neither this post or the last one have anything to do with my being a site admin or site admin telling you what you can and can't say, it's not about curbing your views or slating you personally.  Your a very clever man Johndo, you know how to play the game and stack the deck in your favour when it comes to discussion and disagreement.  I spot it because I have been known to do the very same thing myself and I can quickly see through the BS.  And you know what, under all this Niculae BS you have some very valid points to make and things to say about what's been happening and is still happening at the club, but it's being lost on the vast majority, and I think that's what's p!ssing you off more than anything else.

:offtopic01: Please use PM's for personal abuse / character assassination posts.

But there again - YOU (CaleyD) are always right.  :029:

So the heading of this post "one last Marius dig" wasn't,t strictly true :004:

It actually started off that way Stevico !! -  as you agreed on another thread the more I am positive about Marius the more flak I get. Am I not one of the main people trying to persuade him to stay ?

My terminology of mercenary was clearly misinterpreted.

I am a victim and nobody understands me.  :019: :019:  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: But at least I am not paranoid and over senstitive.  :023:

:offtopic01: Please use PM's for personal abuse / character assassination posts.

There's a "report" link in the bottom right corner if you believe that's the case, I'm not immune  :016:

But there again - YOU (CaleyD) are always right.  :029:

We can't both always be right  :024:  Can we?  :blah01:

This thread is now waning fast and punters are dropping off like flies.

IHE are you sure that what caley D says in the main is not correct? Are your posts so constantly on this one theme that they must now be classed as simply O.T.T. ?

And Caley D  must love you very much indeed to be stilll posting such long upbraidings and lectures.As in the Black and White movies when the hero has been on a long rant and rave about the heroine's behaviour and she responds by cooing  " Oooh, Dahling,  you really love me very much don't you or you would not be paying  me so much attention.......? :002:

I mean why does Caley D spend so much time on this if he thinks you are ..soooooo... out of line--eh? All he has to do is simply ignore you. The reason  why he continues on here is , like Scarlet, he knows in his heart that if you disappear half the threads would go with you..Hoch! Hoch! And the most controversial threads of all to boot.

So what's left...Shall Charlie Christie come back to support Craig Brewster ? Give me a break. Does Mr Jekyll still sleep with Mr Hyde? :crazy07:

Sorry --the Niculae thing is all tuckered out..at least until next season.

He, Niculae, is not to blame for anything but ,even if he left, the problems at Caley Thistle  will take a while to resolve themselves and the one big question I have is ...who will replace him...especially if Dennis is truly past it and may not be offered a contract that he can accept and amidst all this can we last another season in the SPL?

OMG! : :bomb:

Guest stevico64

So the heading of this post "one last Marius dig" wasn't,t strictly true :004:

It actually started off that way Stevico !! -  as you agreed on another thread the more I am positive about Marius the more flak I get. Am I not one of the main people trying to persuade him to stay ?

My terminology of mercenary was clearly misinterpreted.

I am a victim and nobody understands me.  :019: :019:   :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: But at least I am not paranoid and over senstitive.  :023:

Yes as I said earlier the more positive the flax the more stick you get.

As for the mercenary I know Marius more than most and to be honest it is not a word I would use for him, I think it is more a matter of personal pride, if you had been an established international and had 5 years at Sporting Lisbon, played in a UEFA cup final and were still only 26 would you not think you could get back to that level. Can Marius I am not so sure but he believes he can and whats wrong with that. You dont as you predict on his next move he will fail, again thats your choice but if Marius didnt believe it he would be as well hanging up his boots.  Marius loves it at ICT and would like to be here next season.

My personal opinion is our system doesnt suit Marius, I watched him in Romania game and he didnt drop back set up a goal, hit the post and scored, if he doesnt drop back here he will have no involment in the game, is it Marius prefrence to stay up or drop back, stay up 100%.

I think it is to his credit that he does drop back to try to help out the team, he doesnt play the prima donna saying its not my job to do that.

I for one think its sad that we have had the opportunity to enjoy Marius this year and we havent due to the system and all the controversy surrounding his move.

Well I suppose everybody has their own meaning of the word "mercenary" which I didnt actually mean in a derrogatory offence - what I was trying to put across is that my "values" are that if you have been supported and developed and got a good deal out of a contract then there should be a "pay back" in a loyalty sense - intead of making the most out of it and feckin off somewhere else. As I have alluded in most of my recent posts I really want Marius to stay. Give him a pre season training and we will see a different Marius from the "off".

Of course Marius believes he can move up the ladder - I would be worried if he didnt - many punters on here might agree - I personally think that it would be a mistake for the reasons I have oft listed.

Well I agree and have all season proclaimed that we are playing Marius in the wrong "system" - TBH I thought that would have been Marius wanting to play in a position that shows up his previous strengths - I will not repeat my observations on that and I have oft conceded that he does not get the right supply but often the wrong support. He was at his "best" IMHO when he had Cowie, Blackie and Rankin alll scurrying to support him and three players able to be on the same wavelength. Marius is at his most dangerous in the last third - on the last man - and he can win free kicks and pens in that area.

TBH again the fact that Marius was clearly unfit for months spoiled my "enjoyment", the background issue are worse of late and of course - "the system".

We have a HUGE opportunity to get it right this weekend with a very attacking formation against Gretna -  Play Marius up front in this - with pacy support - and he could fair fill his feckin boots.  :001:

And tell the big man that one certain IHE will laud him if he does so - but will lambast him if he fecks it up - just like I would do to any of the others.

As this is coming from your good self I can actually believe it - and it makes footballing sense.  :001:

Thank god I can have a sensible "debate" instead of personalised garbage.

This thread is now waning fast and punters are dropping off like flies.

IHE are you sure that what caley D says in the main is not correct? Are your posts so constantly on this one theme that they must now be classed as simply O.T.T. ?

And Caley D  must love you very much indeed to be stilll posting such long upbraidings and lectures.As in the Black and White movies when the hero has been on a long rant and rave about the heroine's behaviour and she responds by cooing  " Oooh, Dahling,  you really love me very much don't you or you would not be paying  me so much attention.......? :002:

I mean why does Caley D spend so much time on this if he thinks you are ..soooooo... out of line--eh? All he has to do is simply ignore you. The reason  why he continues on here is , like Scarlet, he knows in his heart that if you disappear half the threads would go with you..Hoch! Hoch! And the most controversial threads of all to boot.

So what's left...Shall Charlie Christie come back to support Craig Brewster ? Give me a break. Does Mr Jekyll still sleep with Mr Hyde? :crazy07:

Sorry --the Niculae thing is all tuckered out..at least until next season.

He, Niculae, is not to blame for anything but ,even if he left, the problems at Caley Thistle  will take a while to resolve themselves and the one big question I have is ...who will replace him...especially if Dennis is truly past it and may not be offered a contract that he can accept and amidst all this can we last another season in the SPL?

OMG! : :bomb:

Et tu brute.  :019: This thread is waning as it has gone off topic and descended into irrelevant personalisation and name calling.

Discovered today that Niculae is 2nd only to Scott MacDonald in terms of "Shots on Target" for the SPL this year.  Imagine if he wasn't having to drop so deep and he was having a punt from closer range more often!!!

Exactly my point - and at last you are beginning to get my drift. Most of Marius's efforts have been from long range and many of the ones "on target" have not required any significant quota of great saves from the keeper. Just imagine what his on target count and goal count and penalty count would be if he was playing in the last third of the field. He wouldnt need to punt them he could place them. But when he drops deep he either has to shoot from distance or pass and hire a feckin taxi to get there in time for the return pass.  :001:

Exactly my point - and at last you are beginning to get my drift. Most of Marius's efforts have been from long range and many of the ones "on target" have not required any significant quota of great saves from the keeper. Just imagine what his on target count and goal count and penalty count would be if he was playing in the last third of the field. He wouldnt need to punt them he could place them. But when he drops deep he either has to shoot from distance or pass and hire a feckin taxi to get there in time for the return pass.  :001:

Yeah... But can't he run towards the goal with the ball - maybe even ghost past a defender or two - then dispatch a shot...?

Or are we not paying him enough for that....  :024:

Johndo, I've never once argued with you that Marius having to drop deep to get the ball wasn't hindering his performance.  What I have disagreed with is you lambasting Niculae for it as if it's his fault that he's not getting the support further up the pitch or being fed more balls in the vicinity of the goal.  That's a problem that lies squarely at the feet of the man deciding the tactics.

Just imagine how poor his shot count would be if he wasn't going back to collect balls!!!

Yeah... But can't he run towards the goal with the ball - maybe even ghost past a defender or two - then dispatch a shot...?

Or are we not paying him enough for that....  :024:

Problem is, he sometimes has to drop so deep that he first has to get past the midfield before he has an opportunity to "ghost past" the defenders.

He's only the Messiah....not Superman (that's Rossco's job)

He quite simply should do as he is told - if the tactics are stay up front on the last man - If he drops back he destroys the system. But he dropped back in games when he had support as well - games such as Tannadice and Falkirk when he had Rankin, Cowie and Black and he still perservered in doing it - and even against Gretna.

And when he does drop back he CANNOT get back up in support again - where he should be - which has been a feature of his "away" performances. In some games he has played with Cowie and Wyness who clearly should have been the players dropping back but Marius often ends up playing deep and behind them as well.

Personally I think that this had a major effect on Cowie's season as he was being asked to play a role but Marius tried to take it over.

And if he could collect the ball and "ghost past" defenders we wouldnt be having this conversation.

That may well be the frustration of a seasoned, frustrated player but again it destroys the system.

I have slammed Brew from day one (apart from the run in November when he adapted to a 4-5-1 away from home) but I have simply highlighted Marius's deficiencies and encountered the warth of posters who clearly have views which are biased and tunnel visioned.

ive seen people post here about Marius' lack of pace and mobility (which personally i dont think detract too much from his playing ability) but every player is not perfect and you have to  look at the bigger picture i.e. what benefits he brings to the game.

did anyone see the rangers game last night? Christian Vieri was slow, lazy, ball greedy, immobile and couldnt finish a fish supper yet he's playing in a UEFA cup semi-final for a big european club. some people on here need a reality check.

i say give the guy a break and our support and lay off all this criticism.

Guest stevico64

He quite simply should do as he is told - if the tactics are stay up front on the last man - If he drops back he destroys the system. But he dropped back in games when he had support as well - games such as Tannadice and Falkirk when he had Rankin, Cowie and Black and he still perservered in doing it - and even against Gretna.

And when he does drop back he CANNOT get back up in support again - where he should be - which has been a feature of his "away" performances. In some games he has played with Cowie and Wyness who clearly should have been the players dropping back but Marius often ends up playing deep and behind them as well.

Personally I think that this had a major effect on Cowie's season as he was being asked to play a role but Marius tried to take it over.

And if he could collect the ball and "ghost past" defenders we wouldnt be having this conversation.

That may well be the frustration of a seasoned, frustrated player but again it destroys the system.

I have slammed Brew from day one (apart from the run in November when he adapted to a 4-5-1 away from home) but I have simply highlighted Marius's deficiencies and encountered the warth of posters who clearly have views which are biased and tunnel visioned.

IHE, When the Romanian assistant manager Stefan Iovan was across to watch Marius I accompanied his to the games, in light of some of the posts on here I made the point of asking him if Marius injuries had affected his career, the answer to that was only in the way of Marius career progressed, as at the time of Marius first injury AC Milan were in the final throws of making a bit for him, but has it affected his mobility( or lack of it as some would prefer to say) the answer was no, Marius has always had the style he has now. With regards to Marius dropping deep what is the point of staying up if nothing is coming to you.

I suspect Stefan is a bit of a person pleaser cos he told me summat different.  :001: I think that you are kidding yourself if you think his mobility has not been affected.

IF Stefan told Marius to play in a system - I bet he would bollick him if he didnt.

maybe he is told to drop back and help the defence :017:

Well - not that far back  :017: I suppose you meant the midfield which is fair enuff but then he should be motoring back up front again. This is the SPL not Serie A etc. And remember I am talking about "away" from home and in a 4-5-1 the lone striker is not expected to track back so much.

And as fer Libero - it doesnt detract from his playing ability but it does detract from his playing capability and overall performance - as fer comparing Marius to Vieri as "slow, lazy, ball greedy, immobile and couldnt finish a fish supper" - that is just disgraceful.  :018:

Nice to see the usual suspects back on the thread even though they are not really joining in the debate - still its an improvement on personal insults.

Still here is hoping to Marius playing in a system, behaving himself and abiding by the system, receiving support, a pacy partner, more goals, more accolades and more caps - all at ICT 2008/2009.  :011:

Guest stevico64

I suspect Stefan is a bit of a person pleaser cos he told me summat different.  :001: I think that you are kidding yourself if you think his mobility has not been affected.

IF Stefan told Marius to play in a system - I bet he would bollick him if he didnt.

maybe he is told to drop back and help the defence :017:

Well - not that far back  :017: I suppose you meant the midfield which is fair enuff but then he should be motoring back up front again. This is the SPL not Serie A etc. And remember I am talking about "away" from home and in a 4-5-1 the lone striker is not expected to track back so much.

And as fer Libero - it doesnt detract from his playing ability but it does detract from his playing capability and overall performance - as fer comparing Marius to Vieri as "slow, lazy, ball greedy, immobile and couldnt finish a fish supper" - that is just disgraceful.  :018:

Nice to see the usual suspects back on the thread even though they are not really joining in the debate - still its an improvement on personal insults.

Still here is hoping to Marius playing in a system, behaving himself and abiding by the system, receiving support, a pacy partner, more goals, more accolades and more caps - all at ICT 2008/2009.  :011:

IHE, I don't think I am kidding myself I am going on the word of people that have watch people his whole career, I would ask the question have you seen Marius play before he came to ICT so you can make a valid judgement as to whether his mobility has deteriorated.

As for Stefan bollocking him if he wasn't doing what he was told I am sure he would but I am sure he has followed team instructions at ICT, how many times has anyone on here seen Brew through a game shouting or gesturing at Marius not to come back and stay up front, I for one haven't.

That is exactly my point.

I have only seen "clips" of Marius but of what I have seen he did have more pace and movement - it is simply my observation. But TBH I often find myself comparing Marius to Bingham and Brew. I put them both in front of him - Bingham by a length and Brewster by a country mile.

Bingham was lazy and generally immobile but he had a fantastic first touch and control and he could win a game with a piece of trickery or a sublime through ball. He wasnt in the Marius class but he often had me standing up and applauding a higher level of skill attainment. Brew was the best overall player that has donned an ICT shirt - classier than the Marius of today - he had control, vision, a first touch, movement and was also good in the air. Again pace was never his strength but he made up fer it with movement and positional sense. IMHO Marius has most of those qualities but Brew could drift back and get back up to the attack - Brew also was a constant mover and dragged defences apart and wide. Marius does neither. Brew also scored his fair quota of goals - playing with many of the current players to boot.

I would even put Juanjo just in front of Marius - purely fer his entertainment factor.

But I look forward to a pre season trained Marius - fit and ready - fersh from the Euros - with a pacy partner and a few experienced squad additions - and then he can cast off his mercenary clothing and be a true Sneck Legend.

Ihave to agree brew was a superb player, would still like to see Marius with a full pre season to judge who is the better of the 2, a lot of judgement has been made on marius first half of the season when marius was clearly not match fit. Personally I would have given him a few reserve matches to get his fitness up a few nothches, I know what is coming now and no it was not in his contract he had to start for first team

Ihave to agree brew was a superb player, would still like to see Marius with a full pre season to judge who is the better of the 2, a lot of judgement has been made on marius first half of the season when marius was clearly not match fit. Personally I would have given him a few reserve matches to get his fitness up a few nothches, I know what is coming now and no it was not in his contract he had to start for first team

No - My grudge was that he was played from day one - and I feel he lost us SIX points at Muvversmell and Midden - as you say he should have been brought up to fitness in the reserves - if only fer 2-3 games. No matter what anyone says Marius was the "fall guy" fer CC - again nowt to do with him directly - and I thought Orion had to get pay back from the off but I was evidently mistaken - according to Mr savage  :023:

In fact IHE I am agreeing with you to much these days when are you up in sneckie for that overdue pint so we can have a real disagreement

I look forward to that - bring the lazy Romanian git with ya as well.  :001: When I was told that Marius was only getting 2K a week I knew that was rubbish - If he was only getting 2K a week how could he pay your feckin wages.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

I may be in town fer the Midden game - dependent on whether I last the three last days of the Highland March - but if I do make it I bet you I will still be running out of the feckin tunnel faster than Marius.  :001:

Anyway - that is the "final" dig - anything further this season will be mere smiley observations v Falkirk and Midden - purely football orientated.  :023: