FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

who can speak German

CaleyJulz

In need someone who can speak German My mums dad was German and my mum trying to track down his family over there. She has managed to track down a cousin but he cant speak english my mum would like to write to him but cant speak any german at all her father never taught her. So if some know one of someone who could help her write a letter in German to send as she is going to Germany in May to visit where her father was from this would be such a help please pm me or reply here and i will be in contact .

Cheers Julie

If your struggling to find someone,what about an online translator?

I translated the original post into German and then put it back into English...you use these online translators at your own risk. It came back as:

"In the necessity someone, those was German German to speak can my mummy dad, and my mummy, who tries, to make its family there. It reached to make a cousin but it tilts speaks English, my mummy to write would like it, but somehow German at their whole father never informed they speak inclination. So, if some know to send that one of someone, which could help her to write a letter on German in order, while it will visit to Germany in May, where their father was from this is you such an assistance please P.M.I or answers here and I am in the contact."

I used Babelfish.

When my granny passed away we were going through her belongings and found a post card that had been sent to him from Germany and we used an online translator thing and i came ack all messed up and back to front !!!

So think we going to dissmiss that idea !!

Poor mum is very emotional with finding a family member !!!

In need someone who can speak German My mums dad was German and my mum trying to track down his family over there. She has managed to track down a cousin but he cant speak english my mum would like to write to him but cant speak any german at all her father never taught her. So if some know one of someone who could help her write a letter in German to send as she is going to Germany in May to visit where her father was from this would be such a help please pm me or reply here and i will be in contact .

Cheers Julie

Kingussie high school teach German, get in touch with them they mite be able to help

• 2 weeks later...

Google Translator seems a little better. I think the trick is short clear sentences, strict grammar, and where possible use words that do not have many different definitions depending on context.

I edited the post that Wanderer used and sent this to Google

"I need help from someone who can speak German. My Grandfather was German and my mother is attempting to find his family in Germany. She has found one cousin, but he can not speak English. My mother would like to write to him but she does not speak German. Her father did not teach her. If anyone can help her write to him in German please contact me. She will visit her father's hometown in Germany in May and this would be a great help."

it came back as this

"Ich brauche Hilfe von jemandem, kann Deutsch sprechen. Mein Gro?vater war Deutscher und meine Mutter versucht, finden seine Familie in Deutschland. Sie hat festgestellt, ein Cousin, aber er kann nicht sprechen Englisch. Meine Mutter w?rde gerne schreiben, die ihm aber sie spricht nicht Deutsch. Ihr Vater hatte ihr nicht lehren. Wenn jemand helfen kann ihr schreiben, um ihn in deutscher Sprache wenden Sie sich bitte an mich. Sie wird Besuch ihres Vaters Heimatstadt in Deutschland im Mai und dies w?re eine gro?e Hilfe."

and reverse translating it, it came back to English as this

"I need help from someone who can speak German. My grandfather was German and my mother tried to find his family in Germany. She has found a cousin, but he can not speak English. My mother would like to write to him but she does not speak German. Her father did not teach her. If anyone can help her write to him in German language, please contact me. They will visit her father's hometown in Germany in May and this would be a great help."

not exact but certainly better than Babel !!!!

Thanks to all who reply it turned out a lad at me bro in laws work well his wife is German and she met with my mum and called this person in Germany who is indeed her cousin !!!! He never knew he had cousins in Scotland and became very emontional on the phone my mum and uncle are now going over to met him in May and he is going to tell them about her about the family over there !!!!

Edited by MrsJnr

Well when we Gringojnr the kids and i were in spain we were walking along the back to our hotel .... and instead THERE ARE LOTS OF SPANISH PEOPLE IN SPAIN !!! DUHHH ...What i meant to say was there are lots of British people living in Spain ..... daft or what !!!!