FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

R.I.P. Brookes Mileson

Heilandee

Its a shame and I wish his family well in their time of grief.

In football terms, he was a bit of an enigma. He seemed like a decent enough bloke when he was "in to it", getting Gretna up the leagues, getting to the cup final and even helping out some of the ICT fans with T-Shirts I seem to remember. Yet when he lost interest, presumably due to his failing health, a team also died and that will always be a postscript on his obituary.

The ultimate demise of Gretna would have left a bad taste in the mouth of many, but there's no denying he was a character and without a doubt he was a big supporter of the game at all levels.

I certainly enjoyed meeting and speaking to the guy and appreciated his "two finger" approach when it came to dealing with the suits.

Just a pity he couldn't have left a better legacy and will probably be remembered more for dropping Gretna in the chit than for getting them where he did in the first place....regardless of whether you agreed with the manner in which he achieved it.

I know it went all haywire in the end with Gretna, but he gave the fans the best 5 seasons they're likely to see.....ever. 3 titles and a scottish cup final, not bad at all! Hopefully he'll be remembered for the good things he doen with Gretna. R.I.P, a true football supporter.

Sad news at any time, but cant help but wonder the feelings of Die Hard Gretna fans (if there is such a thing)

Read the other day they took 150 up to Edinburgh for a game in a league that I think is two places below the East of Scotland league. Thats about as much as we average for the likes of Motherwell.

I spoke to him on the phone a number of times and he was a really nice down to earth guy. First of all the contact was regarding the T-shirts and he just gave me his mobile number and asked me to contact him directly about the order. We in turn raised money for a charity he supported, which was a childrens hospice in Carlisle. I dropped the money off at their ground when I was on holiday, they had a great staff and his son accepted the money on his behalf.

I spoke to him before the cup final where he authorised a block booking for us to take a bus down, even after the game was officially sold out. He had a great vision to get kids back to the game and invested a lot in community schemes as well as the rocky the rooster club which gave members free admission to all home games. Membership was only a tenner so it was a great idea. Unfortunately these things were unsustainable without his ongoing investment. He loved every minute of his involvement in the game.

I actually only met him once and that was when we played them here, he wasn't well enough to make that length of journey but he decided to come anyway with someone else to do the driving. A true fan at heart.

In my eyes a great guy and a huge loss to the game. Now a huge loss to his family. He was obviously out in his garden which I think is good that he was still able to get about, his garden and his animals meant the world to him.

So his son Craig and all the family - my thoughts are with you all.

RIP Brooks

RIP Brookes always admired what you did for Gretna and their fans although it all went a bit pear shaped in the end Was a "gretna " fan at Dungwall when they went up amazing atmosphere .Spoke to Brookes that day outside the ground and he was a real down to earth football supporter who was extemely proud of his teams achievements