FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Todays Rumour...Hoolahan

davieB

I see todays Courier says that Fox anf Mike Fraser might be off to rejoin Robbo at Livi, while Hoolahan might be coming our way.

IMO Hoolahan would be an excellent signing, he took the pish out of us earlier this season. It'd be a shame to lose Fraser though as I think if it wasn't for Brownie he'd have made the keepers position his own a long time ago.

I would be very sorry to see Mike Fraser go anywhere, but how long can you sit on the bench for. Mark Brown has been impossible to dislodge from first choice. Maybe let him go to Livi on loan for a season to get some first team experience and then if Broonie goes anywhere we can have him back. I know Charlie doesn't like loan deals but this would be a good move.

He can have Fox though. Not that I don't like him - he certainly has potential, but needs to work a bit harder at showing his capabilities.

Hoolihan cost Livi about 100k. Surely they would be looking to recoup as much of that as possible? Seeing as we refused to shell out 50k for Rankin would we honestly pay double that for Hoolihan?

I think Fraser being given more games is a real possibility with Charlie now at the helm. Unlike previous managers Charlie seems keen on squad rotation in order to keep players sharp and fighting for places.

Brown is certain to be attracting serious interest after securing 15 clean sheets last season and we may struggle to hold on to him for much longer so Frasers time will come sooner rather than later. Understandable that he wants more regular first team action, and he is certainly capable of filling Browns boots IMO.

Someone from ICT moving to Livingston ties in with a conversation I had at the weekend where I was told that one of our "reserve" players was looking to make the move as he was struggling to get first team action. The rumour was apparently doing the rounds at the 5-a-side tournament that was held in Aviemore on Sunday.

I think Fraser would be ill-advised to seek a permanent move, for the reasons outlined by Caley D. That said, he seems physically and mentally ready for the step up to the first team, so a loan deal seems like the best idea.

Fraser's a local player with a lot of potential, so I DEFINITELY wouldn't want to see him sold. Fox, though, is in a different situation - he's had more time to establish himself and we currently have a lot of good cover in midfield. Can't see him holding down a regular spot in the near future.

We need to keep Fraser and play him more often. The run of games Broonie had was rediculous, nobody should be kept on the bench for that length of time.

MMMMM... Think Brown was played for so long beacause he was so consistant, why do you think he left Ibrox?

This will always be a problem for players in any position if there is a player better than them in that position they will have to wait ( ala Dods ) or move ( ala Brown ).

Guest ICTangie

Michael is 22. I'd be very surprised if we were to get rid of him. He's the only cover we have for Brown so to offload him would mean bringing someone else in.

Jonathon Smith is a goalie :021:

I don’t quite understand why anyone would want to start rotating goalies. If you have a good one you stick with him.

If Brown was to depart then we’d either have to promote Fraser/Smith from the bench/reserves or go into the marketplace and find an alternative. Chopping and changing a winning system just to keep the back-up keeper happy is nuts. Look at the problems Man United had post Schmeichel until they installed Van der Saar and stopped tinkering with the irst choice keeper.

I wouldn’t read too much into Charlie giving Fraser a run out in a meaningless end of season game. Unless he scarpers this summer he’ll be the man betewen the sticks for the foreseeable.

Jono Smith is an excellent young keeper. He is only 19 but despite his huge potential, he is well short of 6' and too small for prem football. If Ike goes, we would need to sign a back up as Jono needs to be farmed out for a season. Ike is too good to lose but he must be getting itchy.

Guest Bonzo

Before we get over excited, lets not forget that we already have an excellent left sided midfielder in Alan Morgan - who was starting to show a bit of class last season.

Also, you can understand Michael Fraser's frustrations - why not put him out to LIvvi on loan with a clause that we can take him back if Brown gets injured or suspended?

From today's Press and Journal:

CALEY THISTLE TARGET LIVINGSTON'S HOOLAHAN

More Headlines | Back to home page

Be the first reader to comment on this story

PAUL THIRD

08:50 - 01 June 2006

Caley Thistle want to sign relegated Livingston's Irish midfielder Wes Hoolahan.

The Highlanders are prepared to offer goalkeeper Mike Fraser and midfielder Liam Fox in part exchange for Hoolahan, who cost Livi £100,000 when he moved from Irish club Shelbourne on January 1.

Caley Thistle's vice-chairman and director of football Graeme Bennett confirmed the approach and said: "We are waiting for Livingston to get back to us. There has been no talk about a price for the player at this stage, all we are doing is trying to establish whether the club would be willing to let him go."

The 24-year-old Dubliner was the standout performer for the West Lothian club in its disappointing season in the SPL, which culminated in relegation to the First Division.

Fraser and Fox could be heading in the opposite direction to Almondvale after the duo were given permission to speak to former manager John Robertson about a move.

Bennett said: "Mike Fraser, if he does decide to join Livingston, will only be going there on loan for the season.

"He is a player our manager, Charlie Christie, has high hopes for, but he has had a tough time here due to the excellent from of Mark Brown for the first team.

"We are not interested in letting Mike leave, but we feel a season of first-team football would help his development tremendously.

"As far as Liam Fox is concerned, he has a year remaining on his contract here, but we are willing to let him go if Livingston are prepared to take on the final year of his contract.

"Both players will speak with Livingston in the next couple of days and hopefully an agreement can be reached."

Perhaps this should be moved as it's not a rumour any more?

Think it was the Highland News that said that Grassa was waiting for word from the SFA to confirm that they could recall Ikey if Brown was injured. If that is allowed then it would be good for him to get some first game action, but we still have him in reserve. Johnathan Smith would then probably get to play the reserve games giving him some valuable experience also.

If we can have a recall clause then great, but otherwise I would like to keep him, but it must be very frustrating warming the bench to the extent he has.