FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Berra in megabucks deal?

rinomac

heard rumours that christophe berra is interesting chelsea, man utd and fulham. if he were to move to any of these, does anyone think he could break into the scotland team and break up the mcmanus - caldwell partnership? or would george burley stick to his guns after calling them the new miller-mcleish partnership?

Personally I think McManus and Calderwood are the best central defensive partnership in the country at the minute and I think, no matter how well Berra does, if he moves on, it will be very difficult for him to break into that position. Its never good to break up successful partnerships.

Personally I think McManus and Caldwell are rubbish but they are probably the best Scotland have sadly. That isn't saying much.

As for Berra I think he could, and hopefully will, go on to be better than both of them but I can't see any move to Man United coming off. Maybe Birmingham to play under McLeish.

Edited by RiG

I don't mind McManus but Gary Caldwell is pure rubbish. How he has gone on to have a better career than his brother i will never know.

I heard that Berra was intresting Liverpool as well. Because they are likely to lose Daniel Agger.

I think if he went to a bigger club he would end up creating a selection headache for Burley. IMO he should be starting right now.

To be honest i can see the likes of Berra, Driver and Kingston all moving on in January. And probably to England or the old firm. Hearts are seemingly skint going by their recent highly publicised woes and i dont think can afford to turn down any decent offers.

I thinks they'll all move and whats more for a lot less than they're probably worth in the modern football market.

Going to a big club, unless its someone who needs a defender badly (ie Arsenal) would probably be depremental to the player as i dont think Berra is good enough for top 10 premiership starting 11s. He could be in time, but not yet.

Personally i'd like to see Caldwell as a deep lying holding midfielder for Scotland again, just in front of the defence like against France and have Berra and McManus. Although to be honest i think McManus is showing to be vastly over rated. He is very one dimensional and i personally think Caldwell has pushed past him as Celtics top centre half. At Hibs he was ok but i really think he has improved ten fold in the last year.

Its a shame Webster and Kennedy have never managed to recover from their injuries fully as both looked excellent prospects at the time.