SACK THE BOARD

TopSix

A very odd statement.  A few lines that say next to nothing and nowhere does it refute the claims about Foran's future being in jeopardy as was mentioned by STV.  The title claims it's clarification....and then clarifies essentially nothing.

Why put out a statement saying nothing?  Just adds fuel to the fire.  Might just be me, but the bit about everyone being focussed including the fans seems awfully like a backhanded compliment.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 2

22 minutes ago, Renegade said:

A very odd statement.  A few lines that say next to nothing and nowhere does it refute the claims about Foran's future being in jeopardy as was mentioned by STV.  The title claims it's clarification....and then clarifies essentially nothing.

Why put out a statement saying nothing?  Just adds fuel to the fire.  Might just be me, but the bit about everyone being focussed including the fans seems awfully like a backhanded compliment.

Agreed, if the board feel the need to issue a statement effectively stating that it's businesses as normal that strikes me as a sure indication that it is a long way from being so.

1 hour ago, Kingsmills said:

Whatever your view of Foran there is little doubt that his loyalty is to the club. By the end of his tenure with us Hughes's only loyalty was to himself and his bank balance.

Don't you think you have used the John Hughes card often enough! Let it go FFS

• Agree 9
  • Disagree 1

6 hours ago, Renegade said:

I've heard on good authority recently that a certain north-based business is very interested in buying a controlling stake in the club.  The opportunity just hasn't arisen yet.

Just get them to call the Hospice, they have quite a few for sale!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Kingsmills said:

Agreed, if the board feel the need to issue a statement effectively stating that it's businesses as normal that strikes me as a sure indication that it is a long way from being so.

Yep in football terms business as normal means something abnormal is about to happen . A vote of confidence in manager on Friday generally means he is sacked on Monday 

"Inverness Caley Thistle boss Richie Foran's position is under scrutiny by club directors, with a decision expected in the next 48 hours" - The Sun

....If the Sun is reporting this, it must be true!

The Board's statement said nothing. What is has done though is show us (me) very little confidence in those that have, effectively, put us in this situation. They really needed to take action here to correct their own mistakes in my view. They haven't done that from what I can see. 

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, Gringo said:

The Board's statement said nothing.

The Board's statement is saying "STV's report of an emergency meeting, as also subsequently picked up by other media, is bollox."

It could of course be argued that the statement may also be bollox and the Board are privately examining the situation. We have no way of establishing that but the top line that I would be writing as a result is "Inverness Caledonian Thistle have issued a statement denying reports of an emergency board meeting to discuss the future of manager Richie Foran after a run of poor results which sees the club four points adrift at the bottom of the Premiership with six games to play."

Edited by Charles Bannerman

It's a statement that means 'Stop bothering us!'

It's a ghastly situation. I'm convinced sacking Richie would solve nothing (who would want to replace him at this stage?) and I don't even think it would help right now for the board to sack themselves. Who needs that disruption when we have a handful of games to stay in Spiffle 1?

• Agree 4

14 hours ago, PerfICT said:

Really needed to happen weeks or months ago. If he is booted, what on earth will we do for the crucial game on Saturday? I can't see any other outcome after that public announcement....

Well, in such a situation, usually the number two takes over in the interim. Now I have no idea about Rice's qualities or merits, and I wouldn't take the gossip and rumour here seriously, but ask yourself this: can he do any worse? Maybe, in fact, a change, whoever the stand-in, would boost our chances. It is not uncommon for teams to suddenly play better when a non-achieving manager leaves. Although totally agree, this should have been the discussion in Jan/Feb when we had a realistic chance of turning things around.

2 hours ago, Charles Bannerman said:

It could of course be argued that the statement may also be bollox and the Board are privately examining the situation.

That wouldn't make the statement bollox, though. There is nothing in it which says that they are NOT examining the situation.

As I've already said, they can't come out with a credible "full confidence" statement, and they also (I hope) wouldn't say "we are considering the manager's future".  But I would expect that they are investigating their options, possibly with a discussion on the agenda for the board meeting this week, which would more or less fit in with the Sun's timetable.

40 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

That wouldn't make the statement bollox, though. There is nothing in it which says that they are NOT examining the situation.

As I've already said, they can't come out with a credible "full confidence" statement, and they also (I hope) wouldn't say "we are considering the manager's future".  But I would expect that they are investigating their options, possibly with a discussion on the agenda for the board meeting this week, which would more or less fit in with the Sun's timetable.

Maybe "bullshit" would have been a better description in a POSSIBLE scenario where the statement was issued to deflect accurate speculation that the manager's situation was being critically examined despite the literal truth that a special board meeting had not been convened for that purpose. People do sometimes focus on an inaccurate detail to persuade an audience that the generality is also incorrect.

One  concern about STV's original report was that this "special board meeting" scenario (really sexy line though!) does seem to be from the classic Donald Trump "locker room talk" stable. Stuff you hear, literally, in gym changing rooms like the old chestnut "he's been told that if he doesn't win the next two games he's off". How often does this kind of stuff stand up to scrutiny? If I had a pound coin for every wildly inaccurate smartass nod and wink I've received about football clubs' alleged dealings, I would never have to worry about change for my locker ever again! In fact I could finance lockers for the rest of my life purely on revelations during the last five years that Dougie McGilvray and Alan Savage will be launching a takeover of ICT "next week"!

The statement says that the Board are to have a routine Board meeting.  Presumably at routine Board meetings they discuss how their product is faring in the market place and how that is impacting of the finances of the business.  No doubt they will do the same at this meeting .  But equally, just because it is a routine meeting doesn't mean a big decision won't be taken.

25 minutes ago, DoofersDad said:

The statement says that the Board are to have a routine Board meeting.  Presumably at routine Board meetings they discuss how their product is faring in the market place and how that is impacting of the finances of the business.  No doubt they will do the same at this meeting .  But equally, just because it is a routine meeting doesn't mean a big decision won't be taken.

Agreed : and let's hope giving RF the boot is number 1 on the agenda.

As I have said before, I would be happy to go without a manager until the end of the season. Performances have not improved and RF as far as I can see contributes nothing from the sidelines.

I would love 11th place right now.

How the feck did we get into this situation??

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

16 minutes ago, DWH said:

Agreed : and let's hope giving RF the boot is number 1 on the agenda.

As I have said before, I would be happy to go without a manager until the end of the season. Performances have not improved and RF as far as I can see contributes nothing from the sidelines.

I would love 11th place right now.

How the feck did we get into this situation??

So you would be happy with Brian Rice in charge for our last 5 crucial games?      no feckin thanks!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, DoofersDad said:

Precisely DD. The purpose of the STV story was to imply that, presumably following Saturday's latest setback, the board were going to take some extraordinary measure to consider the future of the manager. The club's statement in response in effect denies that any extraordinary measure is planned but that by no means excludes the matter being discussed during this week's board meeting. In fact, given the ongoing, deepening situation, it would be surprising if this WASN'T discussed. The other consideration is that if a need had been seen for emergency discussion, would that not have been more likely to have been at the start of the week, such as Monday, rather than right on top of a crucial away game?

Again I get back to all the "bogus exclusives based on rumour" that regularly appear in football and "emergency board meetings " are pretty high up the list.

I actually think that the statement that was issued was probably the best option available to the club. Speculation about the manager's future is probably inevitable but its very existence is actually damaging any chance of escaping from the current, very serious situation. As a result, the best strategy until there is something concrete to report - be that relegation/salvation or retention/departure - is to do everything possible to dampen the issue down to give the team the best chance for what remains of the season.

• Agree 2

27 minutes ago, caley100 said:

So you would be happy with Brian Rice in charge for our last 5 crucial games?      no feckin thanks!

I would be happy to see him in charge for our remaining games. What evidence do you have that Brian Rice isn't capable of doing this job on a temporary basis?

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Charles Bannerman said:

I actually think that the statement that was issued was probably the best option available to the club. Speculation about the manager's future is probably inevitable but its very existence is actually damaging any chance of escaping from the current, very serious situation. As a result, the best strategy until there is something concrete to report - be that relegation/salvation or retention/departure - is to do everything possible to dampen the issue down to give the team the best chance possible for what remains of the season.

The club has been in this situation for months with declining performances and results, the board have shirked the issue of growing discontent from fans, if anything a statement should have been made much sooner outlining why the board are happy with the performance of Foran and what the aims are for this season or even the duration of his contract. They have ignored what's been going on and now we are in a situation where the fans and media are now all on RF back and if anything he is wilting under the pressure - not only the results aren't going his way but every move is being scrutinised and tactical decision.

If you really think that producing wishy-washy statements, avoiding the issues all in the hope of 'dampening down the issue' is acceptable you're on your own. Its time for the board to stand up now, its all over national media that RF is being discussed by the club - they need a concrete statement either backing him to the hilt and quashing this additional pressure or sack him now instead of leaving him floundering like a lone & lost figure carrying the weight of expectation and blame from all sources. This needs done ASAP, if they back him all the speculation disappears and him & the players concentrate on Saturday, otherwise everyone is around the club wondering what's going to happen.

This like the Hughes departure is becoming a farce.

29 minutes ago, Charles Bannerman said:

Precisely DD. The purpose of the STV story was to imply that, presumably following Saturday's latest setback, the board were going to take some extraordinary measure to consider the future of the manager. The club's statement in response in effect denies that any extraordinary measure is planned but that by no means excludes the matter being discussed during this week's board meeting. In fact, given the ongoing, deepening situation, it would be surprising if this WASN'T discussed. The other consideration is that if a need had been seen for emergency discussion, would that not have been more likely to have been at the start of the week, such as Monday, rather than right on top of a crucial away game?

Again I get back to all the "bogus exclusives based on rumour" that regularly appear in football and "emergency board meetings " are pretty high up the list.

I actually think that the statement that was issued was probably the best option available to the club. Speculation about the manager's future is probably inevitable but its very existence is actually damaging any chance of escaping from the current, very serious situation. As a result, the best strategy until there is something concrete to report - be that relegation/salvation or retention/departure - is to do everything possible to dampen the issue down to give the team the best chance for what remains of the season.

".....to give the team the best chance for what remains of the season."

Agree, but this team lacks confidence and desperately needs leadership - something which RF has not provided and doesn't look like doing so.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

y The club has been in this situation for months with declining performances and results, the board have shirked the issue of growing discontent from fans, if anything a statement should have been made much sooner outlining why the board are happy with the performance of Foran and what the aims are for this season or even the duration of his contract. They have ignored what's been going on and now we are in a situation where the fans and media are now all on RF back and if anything he is wilting under the pressure - not only the results aren't going his way but every move is being scrutinised and tactical decision.

That's all very well, but it's also somewhat revisionist. What "should have" been done is a matter of debate and you may well be right or wrong. However the reality is the situation which applies at the moment and that is a team which has consistently not been performing well sitting four points plus goal difference adrift of safety and with six games to go - three of these against the two sides immediately above them. What has happened can't be changed and the best possible course therefore must be to make the best out of what remains until a numerical conclusion is arrived at one way or the other.

• Agree 1