FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Steven Pressley for player-manager?

Row S

i think if not as manager then he has be top priority as a player to shore up our defence but if brew is still here then no chance of him being signed as he would be played instead of Proctor and we all know Brew wouldn't allow that.

I'd prefer an experienced manager but an unproven manager would be preferable to one who has proven himself to be wholly incompetent.

There's no doubt, whether or not he came as manager, he could do a job in defence at least for the remainder of this season.

Robbo i think is certainly a bad choice as he just isn't good enough as i still think if he hadn't left for hearts we were destined for a return to the 1st division straight away until brew (the player and not the manger) improved us greatly also when he left for Hearts Robbo aso made some very harsh and insulting comments about us as a team.

Robbo NO!!!

Guest Glasgowlatic

I think I remember reading Elvis didn't want a managers job just yet. I believe he's still contracted to Celtic? He would be a fantastic addition to the squad.

I'd prefer an experienced manager but an unproven manager would be preferable to one who has proven himself to be wholly incompetent.

There's no doubt, whether or not he came as manager, he could do a job in defence at least for the remainder of this season.

Doe the story appearing in the Telegraph give it a bit more substance??

Telegraph Story

From a playing point of view this makes some sense - even if his legs aren't what they were, Pressley offers the understanding of how a defence should be organised and has always been an excellent man-marker. Anyone who saw the Motherwell and Aberdeen games knows how much we are crying out for this.

As a member of the coaching staff? Excellent, although Brewster may not like if if he has strong ideas of his own...

As manager in his own right? IMO he's not experienced enough and it wouldn't be fair on him or us to expect him to start his managerial career successfully at a club facing relegation. However, I would be very interested in seeing him mentored, with a view to potentially taking over long term, by a more experienced figure - ideally Craig Brown.

Edited by alternative maryhill

I think Steven Pressley is over-rated as a player. He was murder for Celtic when he played there - remember him in the 3-2 game last December? Having said that our defence is risible at the moment, he's not going to make it any worse.

He was certainly a top top player for a number of years. No idea what he's like now mind you. Worth a scout at least. Even if the legs are gone, if we're playing a back 5, he would at least be able to organise them. Wasn't aware he was from Elgin.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle5430247.ece

Very interesting article. If I was Brew I would recommend 4 weeks notice to Malky Thomsom and blaming everything on him. 'Things went downhill when Donald Park left and we never recovered after the Chester poaching affair. Malky has let me and the players down.'

Brew could then try and work with Elvis.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/foo...icle5430247.ece

Very interesting article. If I was Brew I would recommend 4 weeks notice to Malky Thomsom and blaming everything on him. 'Things went downhill when Donald Park left and we never recovered after the Chester poaching affair. Malky has let me and the players down.'

Brew could then try and work with Elvis.

It is an interesting article....

I love this quote : ?We have played well in a lot of games but come out losing,? Brewster said.

How much of that article is based on suspicion and how much truth? Bennett and Sutherland share the supporters' concerns? That the management team isn't good enough?

I liked Brew saying "We have always done well against Rangers as a club and are looking to continue that."

Ca anyone remember a time when we didn't do well?

• 2 weeks later...

I had been thinking that Falkirk were facing budget cuts (which would be why Hughes was implying he'd taken Falkirk as far as he can). Didn't expect them to take on another (presumably) quite hefty wage.

It was mentioned on BBC Radio Scotland on Saturday that Falkirk are believed to be in significant financial problems. No real details were given in relation to the level of debt or otherwise.

Considering Falkirk had a reputation for bringing through young exciting talent they have recently done a complete U-Turn.. McNamara, McCann, Bullen and now Pressley

considering they had relative sucess when trusting these younger players seems strange that they have gone in a completely opposite direction

They released Latapy so maybe there is wiggle room in the budget for Pressley .... especially as he indicated earlier that money wasnt a big issue .... Didnt he say something about playing for free ???