FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Pre Contract Agreements.

acharacleoracle

In days of old I?m sure that deals were offered to players on the quiet even when they still had existing contracts to run out but in this day of big money deals and the post Bosman free transfer the use of the Pre Contract Agreement has become commonplace, this can be clearly seen when you look at the latest transfer news and see the number of players signing PCA?s. I have questions about them though.

1. Are they written or verbal agreements?.

2. Are they legally binding?.

3. What happens if a player picks up a serious injury, can the new club renege on the deal?.

4. Can a player change his mind?.

Yes, I can see advantages to signing a PCA.

1. A player is secure in the knowledge of where his future lies having agreed wages and personal terms.

2. Is able to plan ahead and make the move for himself and his family as easy as is possible.

3. The players new employers can plan ahead and arrange to replace out of contract or retiring personnel.

4. A six figure salary is more appealing than a low five figure salary.

However there are disadvantages to consider to.

1. Your manager and DoF takes umbrage at you signing a PCA.

2. The fans take a dislike to you.

3. As a player do you risk injury putting your move in doubt?.

4. As a manager can you get 100% effort out of a player on a PCA?.

5. Likely to spend time on the bench.

6. End up training with the U19s.

TBs comments on Setanta sound as though he is not a fan of the PCA but with three players having signed them, two of whom are important to the squad he has a real dilemma in picking them or not.

Personally I?m not a huge fan of these agreements. By making them public knowledge they cause disruption in the squad and doubt in the fans. I?d far rather a return to the quiet word in the players ear, keeps everyone happy.

3. What happens if a player picks up a serious injury, can the new club renege on the deal?.

1) They are written contracts that state that when employment has ceased at one club, the other club will start employing them.

2) They are legally binding.

3) They can not renege on the deal unless the contract is dependent on them passing a medical at a certain date. This never happens though.

4) A player can change his mind, but he will have to come to an agreement with the club that had the PCA to terminate that contract. I can think of Dietmar Hamman that this happened.

1) They are written contracts that state that when employment has ceased at one club, the other club will start employing them.

2) They are legally binding.

3) They can not renege on the deal unless the contract is dependent on them passing a medical at a certain date. This never happens though.

4) A player can change his mind, but he will have to come to an agreement with the club that had the PCA to terminate that contract. I can think of Dietmar Hamman that this happened.

cheers Carlos

On point 3 I wonder what would happen if a player picked up a serious career threatening injury though?.

No instances of this so but could easily happen.

I think it depends whether your signing the player or loosing a player as to whether you don't like them or not.

I don't think there would have been any way of stopping Blackie going to Hearts, perhaps if another club but not Hearts. Even if Butcher had come in a month ago.

Fraser possibly and same with Cowie. I won't get to bothered over the loss of Fraser but Cowie will be hard act to replace in midfield, while the potential signings of Brian Kerr and Jim Paterson are encouraging they are very different midfielders and are at a very different point in their careers to Cowie.

Whats also rather annoying to the point is that over the last three seasons all our key players have left for either nothing or cut prices.

Dods, Brown, Dargo, and now Black, Cowie, Fraser, think of how much money we have lost in terms of transfer value.

One wonders if Butcher had arrived a touch earlier that all the PCA's may not have been a concern ?

Chip's got good backing with his dad and his agent, and has always been looking at stepping-stones, I think - glad he's got a good move; Watford though, culture shock after the Strath! Mike was incredibly patient while MB hogged the limelight and played reasonably well but once Ryan staked his claim between the sticks that was inevitably the last straw. Blackie - Edinburgh lad, a move back might always be on the cards (hope it's not a house of cards and that he gets paid now and then).

I don't think any of the three moves could have been stopped - delayed for six months might have been the best that could be done. What Mr. Butcher might achieve is to prevent any more exits.

Guest CaleyJAGGIE

i hate them! cos blackie signed one with heart hes been put on the bench most of the time and we need him playing for us. the same better not happen with cowie! as long as we r paying there wages, and theyre still working 100% we should be playing them.

The reason why we have lost out on so many players through POAs is because the Board only start negotiating new contracts when the player has 6months on his deal left! It's stupid, Ian Black has been quoted as stating that if his contract was sorted on in the summer, he'd have stayed. If Hearts wanted him after that, they'd have to pay a fee.

The reason the board don't do it is probably to conserve cash. I guess.