FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Live Updates at Games

Georgeios

Here go?s,

I was looking in at the friendly threads when someone on here is text commentary from the game they then post is up on here, It?s a mint idea,

Looking at this and ways to make it better does anyone on here have one of those Broadband dongles and a laptop that they?d be able to take to the game and then update the site as it happens..

It?s a long shot but maybe if we spoke to the club about having an area in the main stand that we could run this from?..

I don?t have the equipment or knowledge of the other first div player to be able to do it.. But just a thought on how to get first hand info from home games.. Open to criticism, over to you?. (I?m all for the radio broadcast idea to online)

it might be an option if the audio idea wasnt liked.

Pretty sure Fiona (who runs the official site) must have something like this available to her (or at least a connection minutes before and after a game) as the reports are usually up pretty quick.

Here go?s,

I was looking in at the friendly threads when someone on here is text commentary from the game they then post is up on here, It?s a mint idea,

Looking at this and ways to make it better does anyone on here have one of those Broadband dongles and a laptop that they?d be able to take to the game and then update the site as it happens..

It?s a long shot but maybe if we spoke to the club about having an area in the main stand that we could run this from?..

I don?t have the equipment or knowledge of the other first div player to be able to do it.. But just a thought on how to get first hand info from home games.. Open to criticism, over to you?. (I?m all for the radio broadcast idea to online)

If someone gave me a shot of a laptop then i would be happy doing that

Here go?s,

If someone gave me a shot of a laptop then i would be happy doing that

I have a spare broadband pay as you go dongle that someone could have for this

• 2 weeks later...

Aye it's about time ye caught up with us LOL

I've been doing updates for the Pars for two seasons now... it's great fun!

Can I just add however, if you're no used to watching the fitbaw, AND typing it all doon, AND doing a multitude of other things at the same time, you'll never manage it... ! Get some wimmin oan yer updates team cos we're the bees knees!!

Multi tasking at its best. :lol:

Wait til ye have nae teamsheets too ---- it's a blast and a half!

If yer needing any helpful tips, drop us a message.

Cheers, Buffy x

I like the twitter idea, you can get it on your phone and if someone on the site set up the account and gave the username and password, this can be changed week in week out, then someone at the game could log in using there phone and the CTO twitter account and update it, and we could all follow it.. simples...

There is a twitter module available for the next version of this forum software (which we are testing right now) but there does not appear to be anything for this version. I will chat with CaleyD and see if there is a suitable module we might add to the main site somewhere.

The Twitter idea is a fantastic one for these kind of updates. Even though Twitter itself is a load of guff it would certainly have a use for footballing updates. More interesting than "I am eating toast."

hope your toasts lovely, aye I set up a twitter page but it was pants, boaring but like you said from a quick update point of view I think its fit for the job..

I had 4 pieces with marmalade this morning before work.

I'd happily do updates via Twitter for the site although I currently do not have the equipment to do this. Maybe when I get a more web friendly phone but I think this is definitely an idea worth exploring.

I like the twitter idea, you can get it on your phone and if someone on the site set up the account and gave the username and password, this can be changed week in week out, then someone at the game could log in using there phone and the CTO twitter account and update it, and we could all follow it.. simples...

We have set up a twitter account (username ICTOnline) and this looks like a goer !!!! We just need to integrate it into the main site so give us a few days to do that.

Doesnt look like we will need to give out the password as whoever is doing the tweets would presumably become a "follower" of the ICTOnline account. All we would need to do in this case is reciprocate and become a follower of the user who is doing the tweets for that game and both our tweets and the user's tweets will appear in our feed.

Cool, I'll add it tonight when im home, I dont like Twitter but if its going to give us live updates for the games happydays!! (Happydays seems to be my word for today :D )

Guest birdog

CTO should look into setting up a twitter account for occasions such as this, then followers could get the updates and post them for those without twitter.

The Twitter idea is a fantastic one for these kind of updates. Even though Twitter itself is a load of guff it would certainly have a use for footballing updates. More interesting than "I am eating toast."

You see guys I can be an asset to this site when I am not getting unnessecarily moody. Thanks for letting me back.

Definitely a good shout. Guess it would work a bit like the BBC Live Text service they do. Looking forward to Tweets such as "Grant Munro is running over to take a throw in. I wonder what he is going to do here?"

As I have mentioned to the mods already, the feed will will try to have available for the start of the season - if someone volunteers to tweet tomorrow - will be accessible through the front page of the main site rather than the forum.

However, the good news is that we are currently in the development and testing phase of the new version of this forum software and it should be possible, with the use of a third party add-on (that is still in beta stages) to embed it in a sidebar within the forum.

Scotty, My twitter username is georgeios, What Ill do just now is update my twitter at work from my phone and we can see if you can view it?

Is there anyway you can get a connection at the TCS as i tried with my blackberry once and i couldn't get it working

A wi fi connection? Doubt it. Use your own GPRS / 3G connection or do you have to pay for the internet on your phone?

Scotty, My twitter username is georgeios, What Ill do just now is update my twitter at work from my phone and we can see if you can view it?

You would need to become a follower of ICTOnline first, and we would then need to make ICTOnline a follower of you, for any of your tweets to appear on our feed.

Unfortunately, I cannot test this with your account right now as our corporate firewall blocks facebook, twitter, ebay etc so that we actually get some work done :ohmy: I have however tested this last night from home with my own personal twitter account, as well as the accounts of a few of the other mods and it worked pretty easily.

The basic concept we are thinking of for the ICTOnline account is that we will allow anyone to become "followers" of the account, but the account itself will not be "following" anyone elses account. When it comes to a matchday, we will temporarily change our settings so the ICTOnline account does become a follower of whoever is supplying the tweets and they would then just tweet to their own account and their tweets to their own account would also show up on our feed.

Guest birdog

I would volunteer but my missus is working until 1300 tomorrow so it is touch and go whether I can make it down on time, I will be there though and if I end up doing this I might need a little tutorial on how to do it from one of you tech-heads. I think that tweeting can be done via the person sending the message through the text system?

I would suggest that the person who does do it be given access to the team lines pre-kick off so that there is an update relatively quickly. Also if you are following ICTonline via your mobile be aware that every message you get will be charged at your providers standard rate, so if you are not on a free text package it could become expensive so tweets should maybe be limited to a summary every 15 mins and pivotal events in the match.

Your test worked.

Twitter with SMS

Sending updates to Twitter while you're away from your computer makes things much more interesting.

It's all done through text messages (aka "SMS"), which you probably use all the time anyway, so there's not much to learn.

Twitter doesn't charge anything for this, but standard text messaging rates or bundles may apply from your carrier.

If you use your mobile in the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada or New Zealand you can also receive updates via SMS. You can text "OFF" to stop receiving and "ON" to start again

Twitter blurb on using with mobiles.

Edited by themann4thejob
removed the request to merge posts