Motherwell V ICT :matchnight thread

Scotty

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Oh well, it sounded like a good try. Sounds like Butcher's taking my advice...about time too!

I'd go with:

----------------------------------------Esson---------------------------------------------------

---Tokely------------Bulvitis--------------------------Munro-------------Golabek-----------

-------------Cox----------------------McBain--------------------Hayes-----------------------

------------Foran-------------------Barrowman-----------------Rooney----------------------

:lol::lol:

Was good to see Andy getting a run out and a goal against SPL opposition to boot.

Hope this works wonders for the boys confidence and he turns into the goal machine we need.. since Forans starting to look like he can't be ersed half the time these days.

Oh well, it sounded like a good try. Sounds like Butcher's taking my advice...about time too!

I'd go with:

----------------------------------------Esson---------------------------------------------------

---Tokely------------Bulvitis--------------------------Munro-------------Golabek-----------

-------------Cox----------------------McBain--------------------Hayes-----------------------

------------Foran-------------------Barrowman-----------------Rooney----------------------

My advice when it comes to Lionel at left wing and leaving out Eagle.

BTW - Has it occured to anyone yet that Lionel might have been left back with Golabek at left midfield as he often used to play in ICT's first couple of seaons in the SPL?

Edited by Renegade

I'd go with:

My advice when it comes to Lionel.

BTW - Has it occured to anyone yet that Lionel might have been left back with Golabek at left midfield as he often used to play in ICT's first couple of seaons in the SPL?

Aye I thought that, was gonna ask does anyone know if he defo played left wing or somewhere else..

Suppose we'll just have to wait til someone that was at the game comes on.

Can only hope that after giving Well such a ruff time tonight that they will get confidence from it. Especially new boys like Hayes and Stratford. Good for Barrowman getting a goal given that his last one was a year ago.

Good that changes were made and they seem to make a little difference.

I'd go with:

My advice when it comes to Lionel.

Aye I thought that, was gonna ask does anyone know if he defo played left wing or somewhere else..

Suppose we'll just have to wait til someone that was at the game comes on.

Defo played there according a mate at the game. Looked clueless there aswell apparently.

Seems i am first back that was at the game.

What can i say, apart from how many emtions have i went through tonight?

I went to the game, in all honest, expecting to be humped by an on-form unbeaten in the season SPL team. This all changed in the first 10 minutes when Caley were always on top and playing some excellent passing. Then Well scored against the run of play, which really sickened me. From there on right up and into the second half Well found their boots.

Then Barrowman came on which i was really happy about to be honest, i want to see the boy get a good chance, id always pick him over Rooney from what ive seen....and thats rather alot.

For Proctor then to get sent off (who didnt see that coming?), and for Well to go 2-1 up was it for me, but then Granty stepped up and the supporters loved it! I thought that even though Well were up to our goals quite alot, they didnt look the most like scoring to be honest. So i though they have dont that for 110 minutes and scored twice, surely we can hold on? I still think if we had held on, we would hae won on penalties the way Esson is on his game just now!

BUT im not too downhearted. The boys put in a shift tonight, Duncan and Stratford unlucky not to score even though they both should have. But its a great performance against a good SPL side, which we were down to 10 men against for a long while!!

Well done guys, and im really glad i made the journey through!! A night to remember, for good and bad!!

Just back, and a great performance from most. Lionel seemed aimless on the left wing, and Proctor didn't have the best of games, but everyone else played their guts out. A real shame the Penalty King never got his moment of glory again, but he made some great saves and definitely kept us in the game in some of the more siege like moments. If they could play like that (with 10 men!) every week, we would have not much to complain about.

Well done guys!

Eventually that became a very entertaining game. Over the whole 2 hours, the result was probably just about fair, but based on our performance in the last hour, we can feel a little unlucky not to have taken it to penalties.

I understand why Butcher decided to use tonight to make a few changes, but I can't say I understand the line up he elected to play. Lionel was wide left, with Cox initially starting as a second striker behind Foran and Stratford and Duncan in the middle of midfield. Lionel, I'm sorry to report, still looked lacking in confidence and didn't really put in any effective balls, while Cox looked lost until he moved further back into midfield, after which he had an excellent game. Our distribution was terrible for most of the first half, and we didn't get Hayes into the game at all. If it wasn't for the fact that Motherwell didn't really get started until about half an hour in, we could have taken a real kicking. As it was, they scored in their first period of real pressure, after Esson had saved us twice in quick succession. The Foran incident looked right on the edge of the box, but I'd have to see it again to know if it should have been a penalty. Granty did heroically to set up a chance for Duncan, and Russell did well to create space for himself, but unfortunately dragged it wide. That was about it for us in the first half.

We were brighter in the second half because Hayes got far better service and started running at the Motherwell defence. For out goal, he swung in a wicked free kick from the right and Barrowman was first to it with a solid header. Proctor got sent off very soon after, absolutely correctly, for a second booking. It was his own fault - he lost the player he was marking and lunged in trying to track back. Ironically, we had our best period of the game after we went down to ten men. Duncan moved to right back and Cox anchored the midfield. Hayes chased the ball relentlessly and Foran and Barrowman both worked well trying to create space up front and hold the ball up. The last ten minutes were really exciting, with Motherwell pressing for an equaliser, plenty of last ditch defending from us and a few dangerous-looking breaks.

Extra time was more of the same - end to end, quite entertaining, both teams looking like they could score. I didn't see Motherwell's second very clearly, but Hammell hit it from left hand corner of the box and it looked like it took an unlucky deflection off Bulivitis. Our second equaliser was a looping header from Munro, from a corner as far as I remember. It was great - one of those goals that you watch all the way and it seems to go in in slow motion. Motherwell won it 3 minutes from time with a lovely shot on the turn.

There were plenty of positives to take from tonight - tremendous team spirit in the second half and extra time, and good performances from Foran, Duncan, and yet again, Hayes and Munro, who have been far and away our outstanding performers this season. Barrowman worked hard and looked lively when he came on, and Cox played well once restored to his natural position. However, there are still a few concerns. Stratford regained his place and was again one of our least effective players - why not give Barrowman or Rooney a chance up front and play Cox alongside Duncan in the middle? Similarly, why play a player lacking in confidence out of position (Lionel) when there is an experienced and reliable left midfielder (McBain) available and also deserving of a chance this season? Maybe after tonight, Butcher is thinking along the same lines - will be interested to see who he starts with on Saturday.

Edited by alternative maryhill

Hi there.

Motherwell fan here and please dont shoot me :cute01:

Just wanted to say thanx for such an exciting game tonight, OK we didn't play well but you ran us all the way and fair play to you. :) The late goal was cruel but after O'Briens miss against rangers I'm relieved it didn't go to pens. :angel06:

Stick with big Tel he will get you there and i look forward to having a few tussles next season hopefully.

Good luck in the season.

Thanx again guys youre boys did you proud.

Edited by Nemo

I have to wholeheartedly agree with Mary - It will go down as a good performance and that we were unlucky to be defeated at the death by the alledged form team in the SPL. Nobody can really have a pop at Butcher as he tried something different and to a degree it worked.

So here is the criticism (similiar to Marys') and hopefully it is yet another lesson learned for Tel Boy. His persistence in looking for Jimmy Zadi to succeed has hopefully come to an end - Jimmy is the back up for Golly full feckin stop. He will always be a liability but he will probably be an effective enough reserve SFL full back. Stratford must be at the point of dropping and let him play for his place. I was hoping that we could look at how Duncan and Cox played together in central midfield - Duncan and Startford is a bizarre central midfield pairing and it appears that playing Cox further forward may have been a ploy to maintain Stratford.

Hopefully the other lesson learned is to keep Proctor out of the back four !! Surprised that Foran was so effective but that only serves to prove yhat he was lackadaisical and a disgrace at Airdrie. At least he put his hands up to that and perhaps this a turning point in his season - I reckon he will start a scoring streak against Plastic Whistle.

And then the matter of who plays with him - Sanchez, Rooney or Barrowman ?? I have always said that I dont think that Foran and Rooney can play together - I reckon Butcher will favour Sanchez as he is a latest signing and is certainly a flair player but blows hot and cold. Again it may be useful to bench him, start Barrowman and use Sanchez as a potentially lethal substitute - plus we now also have the option of dropping Foran back into midfield in the second half.

So hopefully more lessons have been learned and we move slightly forward again.

I have'nt commented for a while on how the team been doing. But I think Butcher has lost the plot. Why did Ross Tokely not play last night? The report says he had a strain and Eagle's was dropped. Eagle's was injured in training and there was word that Ross had a few words. Why after last weeks match when Butcher says in the papers he was not happy with the performance and could have made 8 subs etc what does he do he plays Djebi-Zadi up front.

Why after his comments in the papers that the new lads need games because they have'nt played before does he insist on playing them, when we have lads that played in S.P.L last year not even on the bench. We have lads that have experience playing in england and at international level not getting a start. I think Hayes and Cox will be good players ( not Eagle, Stratford, and I have my doubts on Sanchez- think he would be better of in a different league where the work is done for him.

Djebi was dropped a few weeks ago because he was told he was not good enough. Butcher has no man management skills ( and as far as I can see no football management skills either) he may have been a great player but thats does'nt make him a good manager.

I would like to see a starting 11 of Esson, Ross , Bulvitis, Munro, Golalek, with Foran on the right ( i dont think he is a natural forward ) cox, mc bain ( or Duncan) Hayes on the left with Barrowman and Rooney up front. Give this team a run together and let Butcher forget about his ego and concentrate on the job he is paid to do. If he is to be a good manager he has to be able to drop the lads that he has brought in when they are not doing the job. I think Terry should put his feelings aside ( and forget about not liking a player ) this is not about Terry Butcher its about I.C.T football club been promoted back to the S.P.L and not relegated to Div 2.

I for one would love the club back in the S.P.L but it needs everyone to be honest and work hard and no bull *****

I have'nt commented for a while on how the team been doing. But I think Butcher has lost the plot. Why did Ross Tokely not play last night? The report says he had a strain and Eagle's was dropped. Eagle's was injured in training and there was word that Ross had a few words. Why after last weeks match when Butcher says in the papers he was not happy with the performance and could have made 8 subs etc what does he do he plays Djebi-Zadi up front.

When did Lionel play up front?

I have'nt commented for a while on how the team been doing.(That is a pity because we need all the help we can get on here for Mr Butcher) But I think Butcher has lost the plot.(Of course he has, we only held the 3rd top SPL team to a 2-2 draw in 90 mins, we should have shafted them!!) Why did Ross Tokely not play last night? The report says he had a strain(Now that will be a lie despite us being informed 200 posts ago) and Eagle's was dropped. Eagle's was injured in training and there was word that Ross had a few words.(Now is this the Ross that Butcher wants 11 off every game?) Why after last weeks match when Butcher says in the papers he was not happy with the performance and could have made 8 subs etc what does he do he plays Djebi-Zadi up front.(I think you will find many pundits on here suggested that this could be a good move for him)

Why after his comments in the papers that the new lads need games because they have'nt played before does he insist on playing them, when we have lads that played in S.P.L last year not even on the bench. We have lads that have experience playing in england and at international level not getting a start. (Sorry I'm a wee bit lost here)I think Hayes and Cox will be good players ( not Eagle, Stratford, and I have my doubts on Sanchez- think he would be better of in a different league where the work is done for him.

Djebi was dropped a few weeks ago because he was told he was not good enough.(Don't think so, loss of confidence was mentioned though) Butcher has no man management skills ( and as far as I can see no football management skills either) he may have been a great player but thats does'nt make him a good manager. (Open to debate)

I would like to see a starting 11 of Esson, Ross , Bulvitis, Munro, Golalek, with Foran on the right ( i dont think he is a natural forward ) cox, mc bain ( or Duncan) Hayes on the left with Barrowman and Rooney up front. Give this team a run together and let Butcher forget about his ego and concentrate on the job he is paid to do. If he is to be a good manager he has to be able to drop the lads that he has brought in when they are not doing the job. I think Terry should put his feelings aside ( and forget about not liking a player ) this is not about Terry Butcher its about I.C.T football club been promoted back to the S.P.L and not relegated to Div 2.

I for one would love the club back in the S.P.L but it needs everyone to be honest and work hard and no bull *****

Reading about Butcher in the final paragraph, I can only assume that Rovercaley has inside info. If not this is so sad to try and undermine the fans and the players belief as to what goes on inside the club.

I like our manager, I think he is doing a good job with the tools to hand, good result last night, almost made it 11 games with one defeat, others like Rovercaley see it differently.