FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Do we start games overly cautious?

Wanderer

On average over the 11 competitive games we've scored in, our first goal went in in the 42nd minute.

6 of the 11 matches it was scored after 45 minutes.

Haven't seen them this season but are we slow out the traps for some reason this year? Listening on the radio only I'm always a bag of nerves by the time they find the net.

On the plus side only one match without scoring (Ayr 0-0) is pretty good.

Good question - never really thought about that - my games have been limited but the ones I have been to, in retrospect, we have come out in a more defensive mode and adopted the "hoof" tactic early doors. I still think that it has a lot to do with an inexperienced midfield but I do agree that if we came out of the blocks - attacking - especially at home it may pay dividends.

I saw Cox running his arse off as soon as the game started, It cought everyone off guard, even me, And IMO had them on the back foot, for the rest of the team to stay sitting back, It was the first home game of the season to, I remember hoping then "this is how we are going to play it" Attack Attack Attack but alas it never happend like that, Its a very good question big yin!!

Edited by georgeios

I've only seen the County and the Ayr games - apart from pre-season friendlies -

I don't know about over catious but I felt there were a lot of nervous perfomances by too many experienced players.... that can be contagious, and spread quickly through the ranks.

In the main they are a decent bunch of pro's who are seldom short of effort and comittment - I'd just like to see them a bit more relaxed and trying and enjoy themselves a wee bit more.

I agree with georgeios - It is a good question!

Against Dundee, we came flying out, only for them to score first against the run of play. I think it was in the cup game against Partick that we scored inside the first 10-15 minutes or so?

At home, I think the players are more nervous as we don't play in our counter attacking style that we use away from home, where we pick up more points, and this makes us slower to get going in home games.

If we could start games better we would definitely be picking up more points, especially at home. An early goal would give the team so much more confidence and we may then play better football, instead of hoofing it all the time when we run out of ideas!

I've only seen the County and the Ayr games - apart from pre-season friendlies -

I don't know about over catious but I felt there were a lot of nervous perfomances by too many experienced players.... that can be contagious, and spread quickly through the ranks.

In the main they are a decent bunch of pro's who are seldom short of effort and comittment - I'd just like to see them a bit more relaxed and trying and enjoy themselves a wee bit more.

I agree with georgeios - It is a good question!

Wonderful sentiment!!

Have you ever had to perform a normal, for you, task under test conditions? This could be running a weld, driving, video interview or even leaving a message on an ansphone. All have an added pressure due to the professional critics passing judgment on your performance, either real or imaginary.

Now there is nothing imaginary about the ICT home support, they are all critical and also not professional. Boo the players before they are even stripped, prophets of doom for days before a game and 20/20 vision in hindsight.

Now with the above in mind you ask of the managers and team - I'd just like to see them a bit more relaxed and trying and enjoy themselves a wee bit more.

Aye right!

I'd like to see the support trying to be a bit more relaxed and supportive but even if we won 10-0 we would still have the pundits on here saying, as they did after last nights game 'Now for the criticism......!!'