FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Online Match Highlights...Update

CaleyD

After what seems like an eternity of discussion involving CTO, The Supporters Trust and the Club...we have the green light to push ahead with this project.

The only caveat placed on us is that the club, understandably, don't want this to cost them anything and we feel that, with the support we've already been offered and your help, we can achieve that.

We have secured the use of a suitable camera...certainly short term...and Scotty and I will be providing the webspace and technical resources to get the footage online for the official website.

What we do need is a couple of reliable/capable volunteers to assist with camera operation and a bit of gopher work at home games (we will look at doing away games further down the line). Ideally we will put a "Fans Media Team" together in order to spread the workload and ensure we have the fanpower to ensure this is a success.

So, if you have any experience of operating a camera...or know someone willing/able to help...then we'd love to hear from you. We will need people for other things...and hopefully other projects...but a camera operator is priority right now.

"Potential" Good News.

The fans have wanted this for some time and we've now been given the opportunity.

Ultimately this is all about fans doing something for other fans and I really hope that this, and other projects to come, get the support they deserve in that regard.

I think this is awsome news, its a start atleast for the fans we have all over the world (if it gets up and running) but from a CTO point of view also, would it be feeezable that we get a company to sponsor it, in that on demand way, just at the start and end just play a wee add for someone local or somthing...

Filming could be done from the Scaffolding and/or the press area in the Main Stand. Obviously the cameraman and equipment needs to be protected from the elements, especially at this time of year, and we are looking at getting some kind of roof & windbreak on the scaffold as I imagine that would be the preferred vantage point.

With regards the Buckie situation....ensuring we've dotted all the i's and crossed all the t's with regards to permission and licensing is part of the reason it's taken a while to get things up and running for us. The process isn't so much a minefield as a maze. You get one thing sorted and turn the corner to realise it's a dead end and you have to backtrack to the start and find another route. There's no clear guidelines on what you should do, only a list of rules saying what you cannot do.

What ridiculous reporting from The Hootsman again. The headline reads as if Buckie Thistle are the ones fining that lad!

Sorry for going OT.

I think the Highland League are well out of order here and as the media lawyer said further down the page that she wants to know what jhidden exclusive licences the HFL and SFA hold on these games. Could open a big can of worms...but then doesnt Ibrox broadcast their own home games inside the stadium so why arent the SPL getting on at them?

Every media worthy portion of a game is covered by copyright rules be it audio, video or photography as many will have discovered if you tried to listen to games from hoime/abroad or have whipped out a camera or video recorder at a game.

Margaret Smillie in that article may be stating what she thinks to be a legal fact in terms of what copyright law covers, but the simple fact of the matter is that WE need a license every year just to display a fixture list let alone any audio, video or photos of any games and despite test cases, this is how it is for now.

No need to go into the ins and outs of it but basically in terms of video either the club or the league can claim copyright over it. If someone then uses footage - even their own footage - on a non-officially sanctioned site without their permission the consequences can be dire.

What doesnt pass the sniff test with me is that there is no comment attributed to Buckie officials whatsoever and no indication whether the kid was doing it with their blessing or merely filming surreptitiously. If the club gave consent then the HFL may be forced to back down from the bully boy tactics they are employing, if not, then prhaps they should embrace the lads passion and make him the official videographer! I also take issue with a couple of things from the official. Why didnt he just complain to youtube? youtube will take down video if they receive a copyright complaint and they will permanently ban a user who keeps posting copyright infringing material. Also, I dont understand why he tried to scare the lad by quoting UEFA article 48. The lad is presumably not posting his footage on YouTube as live streaming video, nor is he posting the highlights while the match is still underway so article 48, which deals with UEFA blackout periods, does not apply.

However, having said all this ........ this article is quite timely in that it serves to show why talking with the club and crossing all the 't's and dotting all the 'i's is very important in our own audio/video adventure. We could have tried to sort something out vis-a-vis the filming and then bung it on youtube with or without the club's blessing, but that would have led to a similar situation as in the article.

Right now, we have managed to sort things out with the club as Don posted above and although CTO and the Trust are the driving force behind it, the highlights will be posted on the official site of the club meaning we are not breaking any copyrights. Anything that develops from this starting point will be done alongside the club and the SPL/SFL/SFA etc so that we can make sure that is always the case.

As nobody has come forward to assist with filming the match on Boxing Day then it is very unlikely, at this point, that we will see it happening.....the camera cannot operate itself and I'm not going to mess those who have offered use of the equipment around at the last minutes, especially at this time of year when they should be spending time with family etc.

I do have a volunteer for the January 2nd game, but they are not available regularly beyond that, so we still need fans to step up to the plate.

I have to say that it saddens me a bit that with so many people mumping an moaning about no highlights being available that we haven't been able to find a single person willing to do something for their fellow fans.....is the principle of a little give and take really dead among our fans?

I have to say that it saddens me a bit that with so many people mumping an moaning about no highlights being available that we haven't been able to find a single person willing to do something for their fellow fans.....is the principle of a little give and take really dead among our fans?

I'd be happy to do it mate but it's impossible for me to guarentee I could make it to every game... it's difficult for me to know 2 days before if I can make it myself so organising collecting a camera and returning the footage would be neon impossible

Appreciate the effort you've gone to, sorry I can't help.

As nobody has come forward to assist with filming the match on Boxing Day then it is very unlikely, at this point, that we will see it happening.....the camera cannot operate itself and I'm not going to mess those who have offered use of the equipment around at the last minutes, especially at this time of year when they should be spending time with family etc.

I do have a volunteer for the January 2nd game, but they are not available regularly beyond that, so we still need fans to step up to the plate.

I would do it but i have very little experience with a camcorder

Just to clarify things, will the people involved have free entry to the ground for the match?

I can see this as a career stepping stone for someone interested in this line of work.

If this isn't your career path then it also adds character to your CV too.

Not to mention self belief and confidence or perhaps a new hobby to take pride in.

Would you enjoy showing off your special camera crew ID badge?

I work in a studio (recording) in Glasgow. We don't do T.V work (unless you count shellsuit Bob and Rosheen from River City recording their panto tunes) but I have access to the required equipment to edit the highlights but, I suspect most people will have computers in their homes that will have the capability to do this. I have only been to 4 home games this season due to location and will probably only get to another 4, or 5 if we end up in a relegation playoff :lol: . Anyhoo, if someone wanted to film the games, and then e-mail them to me, I would be able to have the match highlights posted by Saturday night. That's the best I can offer at the moment. I would be able to film away games if the club we were visiting agreed to it but the only camera I have is an early HD sony badboy, but it would probably do the trick. If I can be of any help, please let me know.

Thanks for the offer of help and I will definitely keep you in mind.

I think I have the editing covered for now, but it never does any harm (in fact I hope to encourage it) to have a couple of people available for each task....prevents it becoming a bind and allows cover for holidays etc etc.

We're just looking at home games for now but if/when we extend it to away games then access would not be a problem as all clubs have to facilitate visiting crews. As we're also using a borrowed camera I wouldn't even ask to be able to take it on the road. Hopefully once we're up and running we can look to invest in some equipment though and I already have feelers out with ideas for funding that.

In saying that, any semi decent camera can produce decent results...and beggars can't be choosers :lol:

If you know in advance which home games you can make then drop me a PM as I'm trying to get a schedule together for the remainder of the season.

Thanks Again.

Fantastic news.

Now , 9,000 MILES it's a bit far for me to travel on a Saturday but if you need a donation of money just contact me.

Come to think of it maybe some other worldwide posters who would benefit from this service would care to contribute also.

Meanwhile, Thank you for trying to get this off the ground gentlemen. It's greatly appreciated.

S. P.