FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Teletext and Ceefax

TheKnowledge

I can't honestly remember the last time I looked at teletext....

I'm surprised it is still going, considering the manner in which the internet has developed over the past 10 to 15 years.

I also used to be an avid Scotsman reader.... not anymore. Apart from the fact it has gone way downhill in recent years, most of it can be read online - free of charge. Why cough up 80p a day (?1.30 on Sundays) just to get your hands covered in newsprint?

I'm surprised it is still going, considering the manner in which the internet has developed over the past 10 to 15 years.

I also used to be an avid Scotsman reader.... not anymore. Apart from the fact it has gone way downhill in recent years, most of it can be read online - free of charge. Why cough up 80p a day (?1.30 on Sundays) just to get your hands covered in newsprint?

Tight Fife git!!!

I used to have a good read of Teletext before i went to bed at night, shame they closed it as it was a good service but i can understand the lack of viewers nowadays. Until Saturday i'm back to the old skool Teletext on analogue TV and i've found i can hardly read a word it says :)

Following your team's match on Teletext used to be totally nerve-wracking, particularly cup matches. You used to press 'refresh' (or whatever you had to do to upload the page) and blur your eyes and hope that your team's '0' had miraculously changed to a '1'.

Funniest story I every heard on this subject was about a chap who'd followed his team's progress in a mid-week cup replay on Teletext or Ceefax. At the end of the game he switched back to normal TV only to find the pundits summing up the game which had just been broadcast live on free-to-air TV! D'oh!

Edited by BromleyEagle

Tight Fife git!!!

I think "prudent" is the word you are looking for. (Like that other Fife git!)

Tight Fife git!!!

I think "prudent" is the word you are looking for. (Like that other Fife git!)

No such thing as a free lunch - There will soon be a limit of 5 hits per day for non-subscribers to newspapers then it's a log-in page.

No such thing as a free lunch - There will soon be a limit of 5 hits per day for non-subscribers to newspapers then it's a log-in page.

A Murdoch proposal I believe... He won't get away with it. There will still be plenty of channels open for digesting the news - he can't shut them all down.

A Murdoch proposal I believe... He won't get away with it. There will still be plenty of channels open for digesting the news - he can't shut them all down.

5 hits a day was agreed by Google to prevent a complete shutdown of Google News access to News International (Murdoch) websites.

No doubt this will grow arms and legs but to be fair the Journalists have to be paid somehow.

I read skytext. Its pretty good for when im sitting with Sky Sports News on (Which is all the time).

Only paper i buy is the Scotsman now. Mirror is full of English sport and little or no Scottish. The Record is traditionally a Rangers and Tory paper so i avoid that, and the Sun is Tory. The Mail is Fascist. I enjoy buying a paper out of the shop and bringing it home to sit down and read. Makes me feel a big man :P

The Record is traditionally a Rangers and Tory paper

Interesting, I would put it down as the most left wing mainstream paper there is.

Have you ever tried the Morning Star? Don't think you've been able to get it in the shops since the collapse of communism, but it has a website.

The Sun a Tory paper - well it is now after Labour ditched it and tore it up at a party conference. It was traditionally a Labour supporting paper. Dunno if the Scottish Sun followed suit with its parent papers ending their support following muggy Browns tearing incident.

As far back as I can remember ( mid '70s ) the Sun was always a Tory paper .

My granny Hated it when i ever got the Sun or the Record. Both she said where Tory papers. Both, according to her, supported Thatcher and not the Coal miners during the strikes. Things like that.

It became a labour party paper round about the time that arch tory, Tony Bliar became party leader....

It withdrew it's support for labour shotly after Brown became leader.

It became a labour party paper round about the time that arch tory, Tony Bliar became party leader....

It withdrew it's support for labour shotly after Brown became leader.

Aye, it comes down to which party is fitting Merdochs agenda.