FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Quick question

Guest Mahonio

Guest Mahonio

As i have just finished watching STVs Football years, i have a quick question, what was the score and scorers in our 2nd victory over Celtic in 2003 a couple of days before Celtic's Semi against Boavista?

I ask this because i only started supporting Caley about a year before that but not as much as to check the results.

Thanks.

It was the week or so after they had just knocked Liverpool out of the UEFA Cup 2-0 at Anfield that we beat them. :D

4 days after they beat Liverpool at Anfield. I remember this match well as Celtic only made 2 changes. They brought in Javier Sanchez Broto for their 1st choice who i think was either Gould or Marshall and they started with David Fernandez insted of John Hartson and Chris Sutton was at the back. I could not believe how s**t Fernandez was that night and actually Larsson was pretty poor aswell. Also remember Hartson coming on after about 14 minutes because Martin O'Neill could see they were struggling. But when Denzil scored, jeez what a noise from the Bridge End(back when it was terracing! :)

It was the week or so after they had just knocked Liverpool out of the UEFA Cup 2-0 at Anfield that we beat them. :D

4 days after they beat Liverpool at Anfield. I remember this match well as Celtic only made 2 changes. They brought in Javier Sanchez Broto for their 1st choice who i think was either Gould or Marshall and they started with David Fernandez insted of John Hartson and Chris Sutton was at the back. I could not believe how s**t Fernandez was that night and actually Larsson was pretty poor aswell. Also remember Hartson coming on after about 14 minutes because Martin O'Neill could see they were struggling. But when Denzil scored, jeez what a noise from the Bridge End(back when it was terracing! :)

I don't have time to check, but i think they made a lot more than two changes. From memory 3 players remained from the team that won at Anfield (Larsson, Lennon and Valgaaren???)

Granty and Richie Hart also deserve credit for the goal. Lovely ball down the line from Grant for Hart to cut inside and lay it off for the inrushing Denzil. Bliss.

Aye they definately played more of a fringe team, Hartson never started as for some reason I remember him coming on and shitting it. Larsson definately played aswell but can't remember if he started or not, don't think he did though? Ahhh good times.

Edited by Iain

Aye they definately played more of a fringe team, Hartson never started as for some reason I remember him coming on and shitting it. Larsson definately played aswell but can't remember if he started or not, don't think he did though? Ahhh good times.

Larsson was marked out as I recall, but cannot remember who by. O'Neill to give him credit came out and said that he grossly underestimated us in putting out a fringe team, It was pishing wet.

Larsson played the whole match and he was indeed marked out of the game by Caff.

I was at the game before the Celtic match, we were away to Clyde on bonfire night, myself and Govan Jaggie spent more time watching the fire works than the game, we got horsed 4-1 with Barry Robson scoring our only goal which was a screamer, Martin O'Neill left at half time when we were 3-0 down, think he had seen enough to think that his team would beat us with no worries :D :) :015:

I was at the game before the Celtic match, we were away to Clyde on bonfire night.

That would be a bit difficult given that the ICT 1 Celtic 0 result was on 23RD MARCH 2003.

My memory has failed me Charles, well i'm still pretty sure that the game before the Celtic tie was against Clyde and we lost 4-1, maybe those tinks in Cumbernauld had some left over fireworks from the previous November :D

The week before the Celtic cup game we beat Arbroath 3-1 away from home.

One from Hislop and two from a guy called Wyness.

True, but after that and before Celtic we had a midweek game at Clyde, which was 4-1. Was this also the week that the invasion of Iraq started? I remember writing a match report for this site which referred to "shock and awe" as we went 3-0 down in the opening minutes, then got a great goal back from "Basra" Robson. We were awful that night and it was incredible that we could even compete with Celtic a few days later.

Here's the team from Clyde. What a fantastic team we had back in those days, particularly as nearly all these players were in their prime.

Inverness CT: Brown ,McCaffrey (Ritchie ,63 ) ,Mann ,Munro ,Golabek ,Tokely ,Hart (Stewart ,83 ) ,McBain ,Robson ,Wyness ,Hislop

Subs not used Bagan,Fraser,

Good one yngwie................from BBC site

Clyde 4-1 Inverness CT

Shellshocked Inverness endured the worst possible preparation to Sunday's Scottish Cup clash against Celtic as they lost heavily at Clyde.

The visitors were three goals down after only 16 minutes.

With only 16 seconds gone and before they had even touched the ball Clyde had scored, Steve McConologue knocking in the opener.

Then, in the seventh minute, Andy Millen's speculative 35-yard strike beat goalkeeper Mark Brown.

Worse was to follow for Inverness as teenager Mark Gilhaney drove in a third.

With Barry Robson prominent, Caley Thistle at last came into the game as the left-winger pulled a goal back with a long-range effort after 26 minutes.

After that Inverness steadied and it was not until four minutes from time that Clyde completed the scoring through substitute Paul Shields.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clyde: Halliwell, Potter, Kernaghan, Fraser, Mensing, Ross, Millen, McConalogue, Hagen, Keogh, Gilhaney.

Subs: Bossy, Shields, Falconer, Cosgrove, Morrison.

Inverness CT: Brown, McCaffray, Mann, Munro, Golabek, Tokely, Hart, McBain, Robson, Wyness, Hislop.

Subs: Stewart, Bagan, Ritchie, Keogh, Fraser.

Attendance: 703.

Referee: G Mitchell.

Guest Mahonio

Good one yngwie................from BBC site

Clyde 4-1 Inverness CT

Shellshocked Inverness endured the worst possible preparation to Sunday's Scottish Cup clash against Celtic as they lost heavily at Clyde.

The visitors were three goals down after only 16 minutes.

With only 16 seconds gone and before they had even touched the ball Clyde had scored, Steve McConologue knocking in the opener.

Then, in the seventh minute, Andy Millen's speculative 35-yard strike beat goalkeeper Mark Brown.

Worse was to follow for Inverness as teenager Mark Gilhaney drove in a third.

With Barry Robson prominent, Caley Thistle at last came into the game as the left-winger pulled a goal back with a long-range effort after 26 minutes.

After that Inverness steadied and it was not until four minutes from time that Clyde completed the scoring through substitute Paul Shields.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Clyde: Halliwell, Potter, Kernaghan, Fraser, Mensing, Ross, Millen, McConalogue, Hagen, Keogh, Gilhaney.

Subs: Bossy, Shields, Falconer, Cosgrove, Morrison.

Inverness CT: Brown, McCaffray, Mann, Munro, Golabek, Tokely, Hart, McBain, Robson, Wyness, Hislop.

Subs: Stewart, Bagan, Ritchie, Keogh, Fraser.

Attendance: 703.

Referee: G Mitchell.

I doubt Mr Robertson would have said much before the Celtic game because i feel that the players would have wanted to put this result out of their minds and Celtic probably underestimated us because of the Clyde result, right or wrong?

I had ?10 on Caley to win 1-0 that night (0-0 half time) and Wyness to score.

At full time, after we had won 1-0 and Denzil had scored with the last kick off the first half, I almost didn't know whether to be delighted we had won or gutted that I had missed out on a very welcome windfall (was still a student at the time...). Don't remember the odds exactly but it's fair to say they were substantial!!

(settled for being delighted we had won, obviously!)

I had ?10 on Caley to win 1-0 that night (0-0 half time) and Wyness to score.

At full time, after we had won 1-0 and Denzil had scored with the last kick off the first half, I almost didn't know whether to be delighted we had won or gutted that I had missed out on a very welcome windfall (was still a student at the time...). Don't remember the odds exactly but it's fair to say they were substantial!!

(settled for being delighted we had won, obviously!)

ouch! My old man lost a bet with ma wee bro(who is a tim). He bet that if Caley win he would buy him a bike(thinking we had no chance) and he forgot all about it til we got home and my brother ran up to him with a bike catalogue saying he wanted that one!

I found the Clyde match report on my PC! It was indeed the same week the gulf war started.

Check out the final sentence of the report :(

They say that the first casualty of war is truth, but nothing will stop the truth being told about this abysmal performance. Despite the fact that I had no intention of writing a match report ; despite the fact that I missed the first goal ; despite the fact that for much of the game I was staring at my feet wondering what has gone wrong with our team ; despite the fact that I only recognise 2 Clyde players ; despite the fact that it is quite painful to recall a match that my memory is trying to erase.

A healthy splattering of Internutters warmed up pre-match in the Broadwood Farm, but a few shivers were felt upon entering the stadium that has played host to so many bad results, not least the 3-0 drubbing in the middle of a great run of victories earlier in the season. But rather than a frosty reception on this cold, foggy night, a loud cheer greeted me as I entered the arena, the theatre of nightmares.

Clyde had just scored. After 20 odd seconds. I?m told that before an ICT player had got near the ball, McConalogue had finished off a move down the left to claim his first goal for the club. We muttered that if our players did a proper warm-up, these things might not happen.

ICT had lined up Brown, Golabek, Mann, Munro, McCaffrey, Tokely, Hart, McBain, Robson, Wyness and Hislop. Formation? Well Brown was in goal, Denzil and Shaka were upfront, but I?m not really sure what roles the others were meant to be playing or even if they knew themselves.

Clyde should have doubled their lead when a free header was aimed closer to Brown than it should have been, but they didn?t have long to wait. After 7 minutes, Hart needlessly passed the ball straight to the opposition (a phrase that could be used a dozen times in this report) and seconds later Millen?s speculative and weak 30 yard shot trundled in past Brown?s fingertips, the outstretched keeper having mistimed his dive. So, 2-0 down and I haven?t even finished my pie.

At this stage in the game, every time Clyde got the ball you expected them to score, such was the hesitancy, lethargy and disorganisation of our defence and midfield. And sure enough, another straightforward move down the left generated a low cross which evaded 2 defenders and was poked goalwards from 3 yards by teenager Gilhaney. Brown scooped the ball away in vain, it had already crossed the line. Three ? scud. Shock and awe.

With Clyde happy with their lead, ICT could at last find some time and space in midfield, but only Basra Robson posed any sort of threat to the opposition. Our first real chance though came as a result of a comic misunderstanding between Kernaghan and keeper Halliwell, the ball running loose in the box for Hislop to turn and fire into an empty net. Instead though, he chose to get the ball under control and calmly move in on the now protected goal, before placing his finish into the side-netting. The farce ended with Halliwell on the ground after a bust-up with his captain.

Shortly after, on 26 minutes, the visibly frustrated Robson took matters into his own hands (and who can blame him) launching a 25 yarder in off the post, to a combination of subdued and ironic cheers.

A cross from the right gave Hislop a free header on the six yard line, but the immaculate Halliwell did extremely well to hold. Robson continued huffing, puffing, moaning and diving, somehow earning a free kick on the edge of the box from a referee who did him and ICT many favours in this match, possibly out of sympathy. Hart?s freekick troubled only row H. Another one minutes later reached Mann who could only stab wide. Clyde also created a couple more chances before the break, bringing out a good save from Brown, but it stayed 3-1 at the HT whistle.

The second half was dire, and I don?t really want to talk about it any more than I have to. Leadership and esprit de corps were conspicuous by their absence. There was no movement, the passing was atrocious, and even the countless sideways balls were going astray. The aerial assault was ineffective. Hart had put his boots on the wrong way round and was just having an absolute nightmare, while Bobby?s poor fitness was more apparent than ever as in our own box he was beaten to a ball when there had been no attacker in sight. As opposition players skipped around us, persistent and petulant fouling brought yellow cards to Robson and McCaffrey.

The substitutions made little difference : Ritchie for McCaffrey, Keogh for Robson (not happy!), and finally Stewart for Hart (about time too). On Saturday at Arbroath it was Ritchie?s introduction that transformed our fortunes, and there were a few glimmers of hope, most notably a low, hard, angled shot which the impeccable Halliwell saved and held well. Sadly Ritchie?s most significant contribution was to give away posession in the right midfield position for Clyde to break, with substitute Shields put clean through on goal and rolling into the net on 86 minutes.

I give pass marks only to the industrious and ever improving McBain, the classy but well chaperoned Wyness, and Robson despite the lack of good crosses. Hislop too did OK, full of enthusiasm and running, but lacking a killer instinct. Have we found the new Martin Bavidge?

In summary we had been soundly beaten by an unspectacular team who are simply competent at the basics but very well organised and motivated, something which Kernaghan deserves real credit for. As I left I couldn?t help thinking how much ICT would benefit from someone like him on the field?. or in the dugout. And the only visitor to leave Broadwood happy was Martin O?Neill.