FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

MP3 Killing the Record Shop

SMEE

Justbeen reading how MP3's are killing off the good old record shop. Got me thinking.....how many people these days, are like me, and still prefer to listen to a CD or stick on vinyl rather than switch on itunes on the computer?

Apart from anything.....in my humble opinion......you cannot beat the sound quality from a good stereo system!

Whats your prefference for listening to music?

I've always been a fan of buying CDs. Whilst I do use iTunes for individual songs I like, but don't want to buy the whole album, or also cause I can't find the album anywhere. I've never once downloaded a whole album, mainly because I like having the whole package you get with the CD. I like reading the wee book and all that stuff.

I download new music onto my computer and listen to it on my itunes but i have thousands of LP's and any old music i have i use the LP's. Canna beat Stairway to Heaven belting out through my huge speakers!

I had you down as being 17-18 yr old DC. Not based on any of your posts or that....just a conclusion i had came to

I download new music onto my computer and listen to it on my itunes but i have thousands of LP's and any old music i have i use the LP's. Canna beat Stairway to Heaven belting out through my huge speakers!

I had you down as being 17-18 yr old DC. Not based on any of your posts or that....just a conclusion i had came to

Im 16 actually. But my Grampa collects records. Especially Beatles. But the fact he is 60 means he was around the same time as Hendrix and Led ect. So he is a fan of them. Any LP's i might like he lets me have. He also gave me one of his spare record players. Techniqually i don't have thousands. But he is giving me all his when he dies. Then i will have thousands.

Edited by DornochCaley

I have an MP3 player which is OK for listening to music on the move but you can't beat a good stereo blasting out a CD. I've never bought into this dowloading craze - surely it's better to listen to a CD in its entirety and draw your own own conclusions about the music as a whole and choose what you think is the best track. Also, there's something about a CD that you can't get from a download - the artwork, the little booklet. I am rather afraid that CDs are indeed slowly on the way out but at least I have a fairly good collection of them to keep playing for some years yet.

Interesting debate,

I continue to listen to music on all formats, LPp's cd's and cassettes even, I still have many of the latter and their quality, being anologue, is "better" than cds.

Whilst I'm on the move I have an ipod shuffle which is the best ?20 I have ever spent in my entire life, along with a ?40 pair if small sennheiser phones, so I have pretty much hi fi quality on my bike, walking and running.

I download onto ipod through Itunes from Limewire which has an extensive, free, catologue and so far I have not been arrested or received a bill!

As far as quality goes though a good LP's wipes the floor with all other formats.

My generation bought vinyl as a teenager, and it was cool to walk into school with a vinyl LP under your arm. :drinking06:

Once CDs appeared I never went back to my LPs. Couldn't really notice the difference apart from a slight brighness. I know some people say it's like chalk and cheese.

MP3s - surely these are only designed for iPods and suchlike. If you make a CD up from MP3s and play it in the car at a decent volume, or on a proper system, to my ears it's rough compared to a bought CD with AIFF format tracks. A bit like a jpeg compared to a TIFF.

Edited by The Mantis

I was thinking about going out and buying a blu-ray player the other day there, but after reading this thread and living in the Highlands I might just check ebay for betamax players. :blink:

It's little wonder that the majority of other teams fans view us as being backwards and behind the times.

Can't agree with you there Revbirdog, tongue-in-cheek or no!

DVD and then Blu-ray are huge leaps in quality over Betamax and VHS. MP3 is not a patch on CD's as far as sound-quality goes, although you may argue that they serve different purposes. MP3 is generally listened to through headphones by people on the move, where sound quality is not an issue. If sound quality is an issue, put a CD (or an LP if you're a traditionalist/luddite!) on a proper hi-fi.

I was thinking about going out and buying a blu-ray player the other day there, but after reading this thread and living in the Highlands I might just check ebay for betamax players. :blink:

It's little wonder that the majority of other teams fans view us as being backwards and behind the times.

Just cos technology's newer doesn't always mean it's better (although Blu ray is the bollox) with audio i'm led to believe reel to reel is still the medium preferred by most afficienado's for it's reproduction qaulities but a suspect ya'd feel a bit of a dick cycling doon the road with one of them on to listen to yer latest Artic Monkeys album

reckon eh could do ya a wee deal on an 8 track car stereo complete with Calum Kennedy's greatest hit and the Alexander brothers hogamany special :(

I buy CDs from the likes of Amazon and Play which are almost always cheaper than shops in town. They'll get ripped to the PC / laptop and played through WMP or iTunes and synched to my MP3 players. Keep the CDs for the car and also as "back up" in case my music catalogue fails. New car has an AUX socket so now I can hook my MP3 player into the car now and saves me taking loads of CDs everywhere.

Also use Spotify as a "try before you buy" service if the songs are out.

Edited by RiG