FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Is it sad to go to a game yourself?

SMEE

123 members have voted

1. 1. Is it sad to go to a game yourself?

• Yes
    • No
    • Bunch O' Bananas

I am planning the game on tuesday. Problem is....my mates have season tix for the main stand. Its HIGHLY unlikely all manage to get anywhere near em. Also cant really afford the main stand. So my question is.....is it sad to go to a game and sit alone? For the FIRST time, since 1976, this is the decision i have to reach.

But... Im thinking it looks bad...like your ali no mates.

PS....this is NOT a plea for someone to take pity on me and let me sit with them....coz i find it difficult round people i dont know.

Edited by SMEE

You won't be alone, trust me, I'm a doctor.

No it's not sad to go alone, but it is sad to ask....................here to help.

Get yersel down to the Innes before the game and get some shouting juice down yer throat, that should then make you invincible and everybody will be yer friend.

Game on

Its not sad to ask....for the first time in 34 yrs...its something i have never thought about or had to do. And now...the time is upon us. Just gauging the general feeling out there....and seeing if Im truly alone on this....or are there other billy no mates out there :lol:

I get the feeling this is more about you being uncomfortable among a crowd of strangers than any worry about the stigma of going to a game on your own.

All I can say is that sitting at home listening on the radio when you could have been witnessing important results and big moments will leave you regretting your decision if you decide not to go. I speak from the experience of having missed our 1st Div Championship Season the last time around due to comparable reasons.

Do you not wonder what all these faceless fans look like, i used to in the old Caleythistle web site, met them in the Innes and i have met some brill people from all walks of life!

You have a common interest straight away - so there is no ice to break as it were, just share a beer and have a yap - we would all give you a welcome.

Do you not wonder what all these faceless fans look like, i used to in the old Caleythistle web site, met them in the Innes and i have met some brill people from all walks of life!

You have a common interest straight away - so there is no ice to break as it were, just share a beer and have a yap - we would all give you a welcome.

You certainly have.

I get the feeling this is more about you being uncomfortable among a crowd of strangers than any worry about the stigma of going to a game on your own.

All I can say is that sitting at home listening on the radio when you could have been witnessing important results and big moments will leave you regretting your decision if you decide not to go. I speak from the experience of having missed our 1st Div Championship Season the last time around due to comparable reasons.

your right Don....lets just say....I am socially awkward and find it hard being in certain circumstances.

Not at all, none of my mates support their local teams (glory hunting OF fans). Dont get the oppertunity to attend many ICT games now due to work, but over the years I've been to home & away games - remember tho although you're on your own - you are NOT alone

I know quite a few of the away regulars but very few who go to home games, so I had to go to a couple of games on my own at TCS last year. It was absolutely fine - once you look around you soon realise that there are plenty of others in the same situation. During an exciting game you might end up exchanging comments with a few of the people around you - frustration or excitement tends to make people more garrulous - but otherwise there's no pressure to be sociable: no-one will be looking at you strangely simply because you're on your own. Arrive just before kick-off to minimise standing-around time and take a radio or an ipod to kill time during half-time. Seriously: there's no need to feel self-conscious and even though you might feel at a bit of a loose end for a while, all that will evaporate as soon as the game starts.

Edited by alternative maryhill

I know quite a few of the away regulars but very few who go to home games, so I had to go to a couple of games on my own at TCS last year. It was absolutely fine - once you look around you soon realise that there are plenty of others in the same situation. During an exciting game you might end up exchanging comments with a few of the people around you - frustration or excitement tends to make people more garrulous - but otherwise there's no pressure to be sociable: no-one will be looking at you strangely simply because you're on your own. Arrive just before kick-off to minimise standing-around time and take a radio or an ipod to kill time during half-time. Seriously: there's no need to feel self-conscious and even though you might feel at a bit of a loose end for a while, all that will evaporate as soon as the game starts.

Your probably right....once the game kicks off......i tend to go into quiet/concentration mode, even wen im at game wi mates...like the Airdre game. So...am probably as well sitting on my own anyhoo :lol:

Get yoursel to the Innes pre-match. Meet an array of fine upstanding citizens. Age range from 18 to 80 (TM4TJ) Regulars include the aforementioned + Caley100, Big Stu, Papalazaroo and better half, The family L_G, Billy Fish, sometimes the Pauliebee's, the Gringo's and, infrequently over the last few months, the life and soul of any fanbase.............me. (with one e)

ps. I never knew any of them prior to 2003 but ICT and this website have introduced us.

Edited by Alex MacLeod

Thats a grand idea Alex...but al be cadging a lift to the game and home with my mates...so it will be straight there. But your idea is how it should be done on matchdays. Only problem for me is....first few drinks make me go back and fore to the bog for ages so would ruin the game for me. But...I love the thought of it.

I voted that you should take a bunch of bananas to the game:

1) Cheaper and healthier than the food available at the kiosks, and it'll save you queueing.

2) Something you can throw at the players or officials, safe in the knowledge that the evidence will have rotted away before you come to trial.

3) They'll be better company and banter than anyone from the Innes!

:lol:

Edited by Yngwie

But... Im thinking it looks bad...like your ali no mates.

I am ali no mates, I go to quite a lot of games on my own. The worse bit is actually if you want to sing and are surrounded by rustlers.

SMEE, I know exactly where your coming from with the "awkward in crowd of strangers" thing. That is me also. But, since I went to the Innes pre-match once, and got talking to a guy at the bar, I now know plenty of people from this site that I have met home and away. Usually drink is involved which has its good (helps with singing) and bad points (Vodka cuts down pee stops though).