FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Most improved player over the season ?

caleymore

For me....without a doubt Johnny Hayes....first few games i saw him (like montrose in the cup) I thought he was garbage. But hes turned into quite the player. I had high hopes from seeing Cox from the off...thought he looked a very decent player.

Eh? Rooney all the way. He was a good player at the start of the season, but now he's the best in the division.

Hayes wasn't given too much of a chance at the start of the season, but when he played in the CIS Cup games he did well enough.

Cox does push Rooney for the title of most improved, but he had a big drop in form mid-season. He's been superb in the last couple of months.

Rooney, it's a fact. Hayes has come on a hell of a lot from the start of the season, but he tends to drift in and out of games too much to be considered IMo. While Rooney is a constant threat fro the full 90 minutes, everything about his play has improved from his runs to his hold-up play - he can't seem to put a foot wrong.

Whilst Rooney has improved, I don't think he has improved by leaps and bounds because IMHO he was a terrific player at the end of last season. It is a complete mystery to me why Butcher was reluctant to play him at the end of last season and the start of this season.

Others like Hayes, Eagle and Cox have also improved but for me it is not about individuals improving, it is the team as a whole. It took a while for the team to gel but they are playing well as a unit now and that makes a difference.

In particular I think the back four (or five) as a group would jointly get my vote. Although they are very experienced, I thought both Tokely and Munro looked very jaded at the start of the season and when he came into the side I thought Golabek had lost a yard of pace and was probably past his sell by date but all three have improved considerably as the season has progressed and with solid contributions from Proctor and the improving Bulvitis we have now developed a very solid back line again. This has been the key to the good run because we have been scoring goals all season, but in the first half of the season we were shipping far too many at the back as well.