NAPS Table

caleyrule

Yes, a final table would be nice, but I think you can safely say that you have won handsomely, CaleyRule, so congratulations from me.

With table updates being so infrequent this year, I have found that most of the time I have been betting 'blind', with no knowledge of how I was doing in the league from week to week vis a vis anyone else. In previous years, betting tactically was much more possible, making it for me, more enjoyable. Still, it was the same for everyone, so once again, congratulations to the winners.

Anybody can update the table, you don't have to be a mod to do it, as I said throughout!!

In the season before last, 4 different people updated the table from week to week, not a moan at the players this time, I expected it. Those who were updating the table the season before were motivated by big prize money (3,500 altogether, huge prize for a free comp of this size) so pretty much every week over the final half of the season was incredibly tense, there was no sense of that at all this year and none of the crapping yersell banter @ 4.45pm every Saturday.

Sadly I think its shown me up, aswell as others, if there isnt money at stake its difficult to hold an interest.

Very well done though, would be interesting to compare the final scores of the winners with me Caley_D and Jody's last year.

Anybody can update the table, you don't have to be a mod to do it, as I said throughout!!

In the season before last, 4 different people updated the table from week to week, not a moan at the players this time, I expected it. Those who were updating the table the season before were motivated by big prize money (3,500 altogether, huge prize for a free comp of this size) so pretty much every week over the final half of the season was incredibly tense, there was no sense of that at all this year and none of the crapping yersell banter @ 4.45pm every Saturday.

Sadly I think its shown me up, aswell as others, if there isnt money at stake its difficult to hold an interest.

Very well done though, would be interesting to compare the final scores of the winners with me Caley_D and Jody's last year.

Whilst it is possible that the decline in interest this season was due to lack of motivation because CanadaBob withdrew his previous generous sponsorship, I feel that it is more likely that people lost interest because of the infrequency of table updates.

Although c-h2 rightly states that 'anyone' could update the tables, for this to work accurately it would mean those doing the updates would each have to maintain a 'master' spreadsheet right from week 1. Not really practical in my opinion.

No, for a comp like this to work, someone really needs to take responsibility. That's what was lacking this year.

I would agree with CMIB on this one. It would be very difficult to be accurate with the info if there were too many fingers in the pie. I don't think the withdrawl of a big cash prize is anything to do with it. There were times last season where several folk were updating and it did cause a few mistakes and some reworking so, as proved, not ideal. One person needs to come to the fore and take on the role of updating the table on a weekly basis. It doesn't have to be done on the day of the results but, ideally, needs to be posted before the next round.

The competition is brilliant with or without a prize. I only have time to assist with the NAPS in an Odds/Game posting role. Other work and the NPL would prevent any work on updating the table.

It isnt difficult for everybody to have a go at updating the table, all they have to do is deduct 10 points from each score and then add the odds*10 for the winning bets, it takes all of 2 minutes to do.

CMIB.... a 'master spreadsheet' is not required when simply subtracting 10 from another number :swear02: however I would agree that using a spreadsheet of some form does make the whole thing look more professional and keeps this whoel section of the site looking smarter.

Gringo.. there is no question whatsoever that the prize money alone made the 08-09 season the joy that it was. The updating of the table served more as a tool for gloating than anything else. As well as the battle for the podium there were chunky side bets further down the field, like I say this season has 100% shown me up and its with some guilt that I admit its been boring as hell on here without a decent prize. That wasnt my fault, it was the fault of the players involved.

Edited by clacher_holiday2

It isnt difficult for everybody to have a go at updating the table, all they have to do is deduct 10 points from each score and then add the odds*10 for the winning bets, it takes all of 2 minutes to do.

CMIB.... a 'master spreadsheet' is not required when simply subtracting 10 from another number :swear02: however I would agree that using a spreadsheet of some form does make the whole thing look more professional and keeps this whoel section of the site looking smarter.

Gringo.. there is no question whatsoever that the prize money alone made the 08-09 season the joy that it was. The updating of the table served more as a tool for gloating than anything else. As well as the battle for the podium there were chunky side bets further down the field, like I say this season has 100% shown me up and its with some guilt that I admit its been boring as hell on here without a decent prize. That wasnt my fault, it was the fault of the players involved.

Well that's a way to insult a lot of people and kill off the whole competition in one post

Congrulations

Clacher, I sense you feel abit under appreciated for your efforts in getting the table updated. I for one would like to apologise if I have made/make you feel this way but I can assure you your effort is indeed appreciated and I thank you. I have trouble knowing how to get the odds pasted on a thread, and as you had updated the table more often than most, i presumed, as other have done, that you had perhaps taken control of overseeing it. As others have said, too many fingers in the pie etc.

Yes, the money in previous seasons has been a bonus, and many thanks to CanadaBob for generously putting forward that dosh. But there was also money at stake this year, albeit alot less, but that's certainly not why I played this game all season (I emphasize the word game :) )

I have used the betting forum as a way to generate banta amongst a few fellow posters. I remember one match that my old man called a home win when i called draw on the same match, and a last minute equaliser saw me call him up and let him know as such. At no point did the thought of cash cross my mind in those moments! And what of the banta when Gringo started to post Dundee wins and ultimately lost 99% of the time!

There is no prize money in the NPL either, and I play that, again, for the same reasons of banta and family rivalries.

I certainly hope NAPS carries on next season as I have enjoyed it. Money or no money

No thanks required GJ, like I say updating it is no effort at all, its just difficult for me as I've hardly been on this site this past season.

I was happy to do it when it suited me, sadly it became very infrequent, there were a couple of times I simply refused to update it purely because there were calls of 'wheres the update?!'... as a rule I rarely help people who refuse to help themselves! It's not as if I owe anybody any favors.

As I've said, anybody can update the table, people could even update their own scores if they wanted, it isn't difficult.

Theres no question the comp will be here next year. We just need to do a bit of brainstorming to come up with a way of raising more interest.

One idea I flirted with at the start of last season was having a prize that directly tied into the losing bets placed every weekend, that is that one of us lays the bets every Saturday on Betfair that are placed on the comp (or even just the most backed selection for simplicity) and to then distribute the returns to the winners at the end of the season. The ins-and-outs of such an arrangement I dont know, but it wouldn't be difficult to set up and obviously any contributions would be voluntary, if we had ?100 rolling over every weekend from the start of the season (assume 10 x ?10 donations) just past then the prize fund wouldve been just under ?450 with the amount folks lost. Couldve split that ?200, ?100, ?50, ?50 ?50 between the top 5, creating interest throughout the field and given the winners greater gloating rights than they had this time out.

But more importantly than the prize, it would bring the competition back to its roots, originally it was set up as an experiment by Bob to see how crap we were at gambling :lol: That was my idea last year and it was rightly rejected because the competition is supposed to be free to enter, but something needs to be done for next year.

The comps always been administered by the players rather than for the players, it'd be good for everybody to get involved.

I dont want to make this sound wrong or anything, but do you want this competiton to stop?, u earlier said you wanted people to step up and update the table and i have said i will, if anyone wants to share this with me i am more then happy for that to happen but if not i am happy to do it myself

And as Gringo said earlier 2/3 people updating the league lowers the risk of mistakes, okay there will always be some mistakes as this happens all the time its human error but if u had around 10/15 people updating the league your opening youself up for more errors

There was ample proof this year that leaving the table for 'anyone' to update does not work. So, for me, Caleyrule's offer to commit to updating the table regularly next season is one I welcome, and if it happens I would be happy to compete again next season. Otherwise, if its going to be like this year, I'll give it a miss.

I'm in a similar mode to Rob of just expecting CH to update it every week. I too am also willing to help out with the leader board for next season as I for one want this competition to continue.

As Clacher says, we've never relied on a single person to keep the table up to date...although at times one or two have been more willing than others and it's them become expected of them.

The solution is really simple....if you log on to check and it's not updated and you have the time....update it.

If you feel the need to post "where/when is the table update coming" the chances are you've got more time on your hands than others, so feel free to get to it.

If we have someone who wishes to oversee it, then great, they can update it should someone else not get there first and/or they can take on the roll of double checking if it has been done already. It doesn't have to be "I'll do all or nothing"...it just takes anyone willing/able to do their bit.

I really don't see the big deal.

The only condition we've ever placed on the running of this or any other similar things is that clear rules exist to prevent any misunderstanding of how the game is played and if you can't organise yourselves to keep things running then they will stop....it really is as simple as that.