FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Scottish players abroad

Yngwie

Gen?lerbirliği

That's the club that Michael Stewart and Billy Mehmet have signed for. Looks like they've targeted Scotland for players.

How many Scottish players have been happy and successful in Europe since the likes of Lambert, Collins and Brewster about 10 years ago?

Scott Booth seemed to do okay. I think he came back as there was a hint of training at Aberdeen that never worked out when he was unceremoniously shunted by a new manager, despite being their player of the season and top scorer.

But, yeah, a lot, in more recent times, come back pretty soon after leaving. Remember Gary Smith? Possible Scotland captain material at Aberdeen. Left for France for a year and struggled to get a game on his return (ironically for Aberdeen). Ian Anderson too. Full of potential at Dundee. A little above average when he came back from France. Gary O'Connor, lasted one year at Moscow and was howling to get away far before he did. Even Paul Lambert was desperate (or rather his wife) to get back, despite winning the European Cup.

Bunch'a woosies!

Gen?lerbirliği

That's the club that Michael Stewart and Billy Mehmet have signed for. Looks like they've targeted Scotland for players.

How many Scottish players have been happy and successful in Europe since the likes of Lambert, Collins and Brewster about 10 years ago?

All Scottish players are in Europe but don't know if you could count any as successful

Am I correct in thinking that only two scottish players have won European since Aberdeen won the UEFA cup? I can only think of fletcher and Lambert.

Aberdeen have never won the UEFA cup , the 2 European trophys they won were the Cup Winners cup and the Super cup .

1984, Liverpool won the European Cup with Dalglish, Souness, Hansen, Nicol and Gillespie all getting medals, whilst Graeme Sharp and Andy Gray (would have made a great international pairing) won the Cup Winners' Cup in 85 for Everton.

Perhaps now some of the younger ones will see why some of us are not too impressed with today's 'stars' of the national team. Oh for a multi-awards winning Liverpool side made up of a core of Scots again.

Graeme Sharp and Andy Gray (would have made a great international pairing)

I think they played together once for Scotland. It was Sharp's debut and turned out to be Gray's last cap. The game is one I remember well as it was live on TV, a nerve wracking late 1-0 win in Iceland in a must-win WCQ tie in 1985.

Robbie Winters was a big success in Norway for Brann. Quite a few calls at the time for a return to the Scotland squad based on his form.

Charlie Miller was well-liked by the fans and sports writers but not by the manager. If he had just got the head down and stayed at one club earlier in his career for any length of time, he could have been something special. Now he's in Australia on a short-term contract after yet another injury.