FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

A thought on contracts...

KingBeastie

I am delighted that we have finally managed to get Ryan Esson to sign a new deal with us.

However regrding the clubs stance on only offering 1 or 2 year deals, surely it would be (in my opinion) in our best interests to get players like Esson, Hayes and Rooney signed up on at least 3 year deals. I have no doubt Esson will excel with us over the next few season and we will find it very hard if not impossible to hold onto him and at least would stand to make a bit of money for him and others leaving.

I do think the club are wise in not throwing about long term contracts willy-nilly to ensure that if we were to be relegated (pah!) that we are not stuck with players on SPL wages while we have a vastly reduced income however surely the large majority would not object to having a clause in their contracts that reduce their wages accordingly should the team be relegated. Whether the contract states a wage reduction or even a total revue of the contract, I'm sure (most of) the players would understand the clubs situation. May also help keep the club up if the players know their income would be vastly reduced if we were relegated. (Not that I think for a second that we will be relegated next season - cos we won't!)

Anyway just my thoughts on the matter!

I am delighted that we have finally managed to get Ryan Esson to sign a new deal with us.

However regrding the clubs stance on only offering 1 or 2 year deals, surely it would be (in my opinion) in our best interests to get players like Esson, Hayes and Rooney signed up on at least 3 year deals. I have no doubt Esson will excel with us over the next few season and we will find it very hard if not impossible to hold onto him and at least would stand to make a bit of money for him and others leaving.

I do think the club are wise in not throwing about long term contracts willy-nilly to ensure that if we were to be relegated (pah!) that we are not stuck with players on SPL wages while we have a vastly reduced income however surely the large majority would not object to having a clause in their contracts that reduce their wages accordingly should the team be relegated. Whether the contract states a wage reduction or even a total revue of the contract, I'm sure (most of) the players would understand the clubs situation. May also help keep the club up if the players know their income would be vastly reduced if we were relegated. (Not that I think for a second that we will be relegated next season - cos we won't!)

Anyway just my thoughts on the matter!

Definitely agree with Hayes & Rooney, both are young and it's more of an investment than a gamble... I don't know how we can ever expect to receive a decent transfer fee with a piddly 2 year contract in place

Esson is a bit older so can understand 2 year deal for him.

I'm with you Harry on that one, other managers dont offer more than a year over 30, 2 years is fair i think, the club can't afford to be paying top ? full time to someone older and abit more prone to injury, its a risk with the older guys so 2 years IMO is really good....

I don't really think we have a choice in the matter.

ICT aren't the only team who offer 2 year deals at the maximum. Aberdeen, St Mirren, even Hearts do the same thing.

I think it is just because clubs are in such fear of administration and debt that they are being overly cautious. Especially us. The board can be credited for one thing and that is not putting us in deep debt, even after relegation and i don't think they want it to change.

I think the club also are worried about going back down again, so 1 year deals will free up wages if that happens

Did you read the original post?

Regarding the comments on Esson's deal, I don't think 30 is old for a Keeper but I take the point about older players perhaps being more injury prone.

I think the club also are worried about going back down again, so 1 year deals will free up wages if that happens

I wouldn't say worried about going down so much as proving our quality at SPL level. We will go into the new campaign with a number of experienced players but also with a few untried at that level. I dont think the club are being too overcautious. I think they are waiting to see how we react from the off. If all looks good first half of season then there may be the chance to offer longer contracts to the younger players.

My understanding with any contract is that there are certain payments, signing on fee's, agents fee's, that are based on a percentage of the worth of the contract so the longer the contract the more needs to be found up front and clubs are having difficulty in that respect. We, as has been said, are not the only club offering short term security.

We are also in a bad sitiuation this season in that we need another half dozen first team players plus a competitive U-19 squad. I'm sure that, although the SPL has scrapped the reserve league, it is still a requirement of membership to compete at U-19 level. So thats a lot of players to be found.

The issue for me is would be able to secure the likes of Rooney and Hayes on a three year deal?

As I see it, the club have done exceptionally well to hold on to these young guys who will, no doubt, have huge ambition to play at a higher level and earn significantly more. If the club had try to tie them up for a longer period then it is possible that they may view this as unattractive as it increases their price should any potential buyers come in, something they may view as negative. Equally, for the club, if things go wrong this season then they are not burdened with extra worry.

For me, it's a perfect situation for both parties.

I don't really think we have a choice in the matter.

ICT aren't the only team who offer 2 year deals at the maximum. Aberdeen, St Mirren, even Hearts do the same thing.

I think it is just because clubs are in such fear of administration and debt that they are being overly cautious. Especially us. The board can be credited for one thing and that is not putting us in deep debt, even after relegation and i don't think they want it to change.

This!

The issue for me is would be able to secure the likes of Rooney and Hayes on a three year deal?

As I see it, the club have done exceptionally well to hold on to these young guys who will, no doubt, have huge ambition to play at a higher level and earn significantly more. If the club had try to tie them up for a longer period then it is possible that they may view this as unattractive as it increases their price should any potential buyers come in, something they may view as negative. Equally, for the club, if things go wrong this season then they are not burdened with extra worry.

For me, it's a perfect situation for both parties.

And I think you're very wise, Sorted.

To be honest offering a 2 year deal is fine, so long as contract negotiations are started in the summer before they run out for key players to try and stop them agreeing pre contracts elsewhere.

But as for the likes of Rooney, a 2 year extension should be seen as our next priority. He was after all signed on a 3 year deal so for him to have another 2 years to go wouldn't really be any different.

Yeah, and injuries also have a factor, as well as relegation, finances etc. I think that when we plan for the SPl again for 2011/12 season, either new contract or sold for a very good amount. A 500,000 quid plus transfer fee will be paid for one of the players is my bet...

The fact that the club was willing to give Ryan a 2 year deal is a positive approach, not a negative one. They clearly recognise his value to the club and are very happy to have him signed up.

But who are they going to slot in as number 2, I wonder?

A 2 year deal was the least they could do in my opinion.

To offer him a 1 year deal would have left us exposed in January so the younger players and Esson (he is a keeper afterall) should be on 2 year contracts and after the january sales are over the club must sit down and get these contracts extended again,and not wait until the end of season.

This is at least a compromise from where I would prefer to see those getting 3 year deals.

The older players, I agree 1 year deals will do, and if still fit can then sign a new contract as unlikely to be offered a lucrative contract elsewhere.

I am of course working on principal we are staying up and do hope the Board back Butcher to make progress again this season, and get us out of relegation battle as early as possible and thereby fighting for a top 6 place