FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Old Scottish Grounds

Caley

A wee quiz to pass the time. Who played here?

1) Caley, Caley Thistle, and IHE

2) Falkirk

3) Clydebank

4) Rangers

5) Kilmarnock

OK, next time you will not be able to right-click and find that so quick!

Aye the Howden End fair brought a tear to my eye, and I wasn't even a regular occupant! What's the date of that photo? I would suggest it's sometime between August 1994 and October 1996 because just behind the goal, although at an oblique angle, I think I can make out a Citylink advert.

If that is the case, that Citylink sponsorship began at the start of CT's first season in 94 and Telford Street was knocked down in October 96.

By the way, just out of shot behind the end of the enclosure would have been the footballs above the gate.

I'll ask once again.... does anybody know what happened to them?

Aye the Howden End fair brought a tear to my eye, and I wasn't even a regular occupant! What's the date of that photo? I would suggest it's sometime between August 1994 and October 1996 because just behind the goal, although at an oblique angle, I think I can make out a Citylink advert.

If that is the case, that Citylink sponsorship began at the start of CT's first season in 94 and Telford Street was knocked down in October 96.

By the way, just out of shot behind the end of the enclosure would have been the footballs above the gate.

I'll ask once again.... does anybody know what happened to them?

cp1.jpg

(This pic is accredited to Mike Troughton and Mantis)

Possibly reduced to concrete dust in 1996??

Looking at the state of the goalmouth area, I'm guessing that the Howden End pic was taken in the Autumn, probably taken in the Autumn of 1996 as a record of our old ground.

Has anybody got any pics of the Kingsmills stand on fire?

If you can get a hold of a copy of "Against All Odds" you will find a black and white pic of the fire, which i think was around July 30th 1995, about two thirds of the way through (sorry - don't have a copy to hand to give a page reference). There's a lot more detail than that too because in the foreground of Ken MacPherson's photo you can see the complete wilderness that the pitch and Kigsmills Road end terrace had become.

Caley... I think your suggested date of the Howden End pic could well be right. But I hope your suggested fate of the footballs issn't - even though they have been doing nobody any good in the intervening years, wherever they are if they have survived.

I haven't seen Mike Troughton for a couple of years or I could ask him. I would guess that those photos were all taken on the day we beat Elgin in 1993. Mike and his other half Jess had a habit of being first in the ground so he probably took them on his way to the main stand.

Charles I think you are right about the football I think someone has them hiding somewhere. The Caledonian sign that hung above the tunnel also "walked" about the same time and allegedly lives quite near the site of the old Caley park!

So who is it OCG?

Mantis... evidence possibly for and against your theory about 1993 and the suggestion of October 1996. It very much looks as if there is a Citylink board behind the goal,which might place this at August 1994 or later. However, looking at the board between the PandJ and Tullochs, it rather looks to me as if the phone nuimber begins 0349. That format was superseded by 01349 in 1995 so this would appear to be pre 1995 on that evidence.

Mantis... evidence possibly for and against your theory about 1993 and the suggestion of October 1996. It very much looks as if there is a Citylink board behind the goal,which might place this at August 1994 or later. However, looking at the board between the PandJ and Tullochs, it rather looks to me as if the phone nuimber begins 0349. That format was superseded by 01349 in 1995 so this would appear to be pre 1995 on that evidence.

You've truly surpassed yourself there Charles...... I've just made a bonfire out the back with my anorak.

Looking again at the Elgin picture there's hardly any advertising, just the wire mesh Caley used to have. So the other shots must have been taken after the merger when CT sold a lot more ads.

Mantis - most of the old Caley Crew, late 70's and early 80's will recall the days when we were just allowed to battle - especially at change over at half time - and in those days it was Caley, the Clach "Ferry" and the Staigo - but the former two combined at Hellgin but often the three of us went together to Dungwall and Scottish Cup games away - can remember running battles when Hellgin played a Scottish QF away - loved it :nanananana:

Come on - gies yer tales - to the olde boys who were the old hoolies - some of us got called the Caley Animals - but that was by Sesh Army times - but the craic was far better than that before that :bouncyblue::bouncyred:

mantis did Caley not aquire a lot of adverts when Peter Corbett was the commercial manager? I have a crap memory but seem to remember that he practically filled the whole of Telford St Park with boards.

OCG... I think you are right but Peter left Caley to become general manager at Clach in 1991 at which point he also sold a lot of boards for them. Indeed the first signs of Clach's 1996 financial crisis (they are frequent enough to define by year) was when Peter found that firms were no longer willing to support the club.

It was good to go to Grant Street last Saturday after the Celtic game and see an encouragingly decent number of nice, clean, new boards there.

Edited by Charles Bannerman