FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Our Irish trio...

Caley Mad In Berks

I see that all three of our Irish lads have come in for some stick, from different posters, since the Saints game.

So what has gone wrong since their dominance at the end of last season?

Is it just the pre season injuries to Foran and Hayes delaying their return to full fitness?

And, in Rooney's case is it just that SPL defences are harder to score against that SFL? Certainly 4 goals (including a penalty) is not a prolific return so far.

I remain optimistic that they will come good again, and I suppose it is encouraging that we are holding down a top 6 place without them being at their best.

Thoughts?

• Disagree 3

It's very difficult to judge Foran so far this season: he's only been back, what, 4 games, and in the last two of those he's been asked to play in an unfamiliar deep-lying role. I think he can be very influential for us this season once he's established back in his favoured position.

Hayes could struggle to make an impact at times this season: if opponents get their tactics right against us then he is a player who can be contained, as we saw at times towards the end of last season. Dundee Utd didn't take his threat seriously enough and he tore them apart, but by the sounds of things St Johnstone marked him much more tightly on Saturday and apart from the goal he made little impact on the game.

I think Rooney has done well this season considering he's been asked to play the lone striker's role and hasn't had a great deal of service. He works his backside off and he's at least proved that he can take chances when he's been given them this season: in his previous spell in the SPL a lot of people were suggesting that he was the sort of player who would need 4 or 5 chances to score once in a game, and this hasn't turned to be the case.

TBH, Odhiambo has probably been our most influential attacker this season, with superb performances against Utd and St Mirren, but I just wish he was a bit more consistent: he's proved he has the ability at this level, but he's still too prone to go missing in games.

• Agree 2

I see that all three of our Irish lads have come in for some stick, from different posters, since the Saints game.

So what has gone wrong since their dominance at the end of last season?

Is it just the pre season injuries to Foran and Hayes delaying their return to full fitness?

And, in Rooney's case is it just that SPL defences are harder to score against that SFL? Certainly 4 goals (including a penalty) is not a prolific return so far.

I remain optimistic that they will come good again, and I suppose it is encouraging that we are holding down a top 6 place without them being at their best.

Thoughts?

Saturday's 1st half was a bad day at the office for the entire team. The points you make(highlighted)are probably valid....

At least in the 2nd half there were plenty of encouraging signs - for instance, Rooney came close to scoring on two occasions, and Foran's perfectly weighted through ball set up Hayes perfectly for the equaliser. I was impressed with that - he knew he was going to take a sore one from their keeper but he made sure he got the final touch.

Only Kenny Miller has scored more than Rooney. From the little I've seen too, he's working hard and holding the ball up. I think he's become a real team player and won't be surprised if he goes further.

Foran, as has been said, is still not in his position. Doing his bit for the team, rather than something a bit more selfish. I've no fears he will be a very important player.

With Hayes, you're really looking for him to do something a bit special on occasion. Obviously that's going to be tougher in the SPL than the SFL. If he's doing it week in/week out, then that's worthy of Old Firm interest. As it is, he should be compared to wingers from the likes of the Accies, the Saints (both of them), maybe even Aberdeen etc. - i.e. teams with not much cash, more concerned with relegation than Europe. So, would you rather have Aluko, Imrie or Hayes?

in Rooney's case is it just that SPL defences are harder to score against that SFL? Certainly 4 goals (including a penalty) is not a prolific return so far.

It is still good enough to be joint 2nd in the SPL scoring charts ....

According to the SPL website, Rooney has 4 goals from 22 shots - 14 on target - in all SPL games. There are other strikers on the list who have had more shots yet the same or less goals .... Incidentally, Ryan Esson is also second in the SPL in clean sheets (2) - the same as McGregor.

post-2-060778800 1287407392_thumb.png

post-2-044800300 1287407383_thumb.png

Joke of a Thread?

in what way has their "bubble burst"? Rooney has done exactly as he did last season , picking at defenders, holding up the ball , scoring, Hayes and Foran have not put a foot wrong either, Forans ball through to Hayes on saturday was class

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 2

Derek Mcinnes said on sportscene after the aberdeen game that he tried to sign Hayes in the summer, so he would have known on Saturday what a threat he can be. Apart from Saturday, I think he has been tremendous.

With foran, I think it's that Butcher is finding it difficult to drop Nick Ross and to not play his captain. It will be interesting to see what he does when everyone is fit again.

Even though 2 of his goals have been penalties, it took him a while to get off the mark last season and still scored loads. I think he's just taking time to get used to playing against tougher defences. I have no doubts that he'll be one of our most important players again, this season.

In answer to the OP's question NO.

Rooney - 4 goals in 8 games. Keeps this kind of average up and he will be on target to score 19 league goals which would be a fantastic achievement.

Foran - Missed half the season and has been lpaying in central midfield due to injuries. The great pass to Hayes is hopefully an example of his return towards form.

Hayes - 2 goals in his last 2 games after a slow start due to injuries.

I would say considering they've stepped up a division they're doing pretty well this season. I think you need to look at the bigger picture - apart from Kenny Miller no one has set the SPL alight this season.

• Agree 1

An unrequired thread imo.

Rooney has been fine for SPL level so far, Hayes has been terrorising some defences and Foran is getting back to full fitness but has already given some solid performances in more than one position.

I will judge my opinion once they have a had a proper run of games together and after we are much later into the season.

not really .... the OP has posed a simple question based on stuff posted elsewhere on the forum and invited comments. It is heartening to see that most of us disagree that the bubble has burst and think all three will continue to improve as the season goes on.

For me, our season is shaping up well. A couple of disappointments (thats football !!!) but after 8 games we are in 4th place and only have 3 more games to go before we have played everyone once .... We have seen Rooney can score in the SPL, maybe not as much as some would like but he can hit the net. Eric is a new player and Jonny Hayes has terrorised a defence or two. Richie is just coming back to fitness, Esson has picked up where he left off and in Nick Ross we seem to have a pretty talented youngster who doesnt look out of his depth ......

It could all still go pear shaped but for now, its reasonably positive .....

its been fine so far for me odi's been chipping in with 3 goals for the season aswell

i think they were a little disrupted with forans return at first but everything is falling into place now with hayes getting 2 goals in 2 game and rooney has 4 for the season

not really .... the OP has posed a simple question based on stuff posted elsewhere on the forum and invited comments. It is heartening to see that most of us disagree that the bubble has burst and think all three will continue to improve as the season goes on.

For me, our season is shaping up well. A couple of disappointments (thats football !!!) but after 8 games we are in 4th place and only have 3 more games to go before we have played everyone once .... We have seen Rooney can score in the SPL, maybe not as much as some would like but he can hit the net. Eric is a new player and Jonny Hayes has terrorised a defence or two. Richie is just coming back to fitness, Esson has picked up where he left off and in Nick Ross we seem to have a pretty talented youngster who doesnt look out of his depth ......

It could all still go pear shaped but for now, its reasonably positive .....

I suppose when you put it like that it makes sense.