FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

if we get into Europe

Feb82000

I always think Europe is a possibility, If Gretna and Queens can get into Europe over the past few seasons then why not us? I never thought we'd do it by a league position but in the cup theres always a chance. I don't mind where we play to be honest, I'd just like to see us do well in our first match so anyone relatively easy.

No easy games in Europe. :yellowcard:

Thats like saying theres no easy games in the SPL, the League Cup, or anywhere. All teams try when on the big stage no matter what size of club but what i meant was i'd rather play a team from northern Ireland or Wales and set ourselves up for another match than get pumped in our first match by a big team from Germany or Italy for example.

I cannot see us getting in to Europe for a good many years yet. If we are lucky we might get it by getting to the Scottish Cup Final. But, we are not good enough to get there in the league. Over the course of the season i think we will finish 8th. Maybe 7th at a push. Teams like Dundee United and Motherwell will be pushing eachother the whole way to get into Europe.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

Werent Dundee claiming they'd won the league already by this time last year? We all saw how that panned out!

while it would be fantastic to reach Europe there are a lot of points to be won and lost before the end of the season.

Way too soon to be even be considering European qualification IMO

Counting chickens and all that....

Edited by Libero
  • Agree 2

WOW....canna believe that there are ICT fans thinking along these lines at the mo. Sounds like Dons fans :irritated: . Fair enuff if we were 28-30 games into the season. This season...its about SPL survival for me. I will be delighted with achieving that. Anything above that...EXCELLENT!

• Agree 1

This topic was inevitable. It's very difficult to look at the league table at the moment without dreaming. Let me say first of all that i think finishing in 8th place this season would be a tremendous achievement. We're playing in a mini-league of the uber-skint with Killie, St.Mirren, St. Johnstone and Hamilton. As the new kids on the block we should be pleased just to be able to compete with them whilst ensuring that we don't finish bottom of the pile.

Now that the realism is out of the way, i really want to play this dreaming game. In the first qualifying round, i'd like a crap Irish team in order to allow for the fans to baptise our maiden European voyage in style. A trip home for the Dubliners perhaps, a mass army of ICT fans on cheap Ryanair flights and a resounding victory over Bohemians. For the second tie, i'd like something more testing, more obscure but also winable. A bit of Balkan hostility, maybe a trip to Zagreb or Belgrade, a cheeky away win before being chased to the airport by ultras wielding flares and molotovs. The play-off is easy: Revenge for Marius, as a financially crippled Dinamo Bucharest get a taste of their own Euros. Not sure about the group stage yet.

• Agree 2

i don't expect to get into europe, the only way that it could happen this year if we get an easy cup run to the final and if that happens i would want the worst teams possible along the way.

Top 6 is the highest target we should be looking at, but as people have said anything above 11th is a bonus

Didn't we have an Dons fan gloating on here that Aberdeen were top of the league for the 1st 2 weeks.

I would be chuffed with a top six finish for the first time and 3rd, 4th or even 5th? place may not be that far away by then, in the meantime I'm not really giving any thought to Europe.

I'm just enjoying each game as it comes.

• Agree 1

Delighted at the progress made by players such as Ross and Shinnie who have been chucked in at the deep end. Nervous about what will happen to our small squad during the winter when injuries and suspensions kick in.

ICT traditionally have a poor start and get better. This time we've started like other promoted teams. Once every manager has played us once they'll be working out how to stop us next time.

Great team spirit though, carried on from last year.

Would happily take a team from Andorra, followed by one from Lichtenstien, and then Malta, and hopefully playing teams from the south of Europe they wouldnt have started their seasons so we would be ahead on fitness and sharpness. In the groups I would like a trip to Spain ( Espanyol) Italy ( AC Milan ) and France ( Olympic Marseilles) Followed by a knock out round in Madrid against Real after they get knocked out of the champions league. At this point we are the only Scottish team left in Europe after Xmas and pocket all the advertising and TV money going. After beating Real 5-5 on away goals we get Manchester city progressing on penalties, followed by Galatasaray and Bayern Munchen in the semi. In the final we face the might of Borrosia Monchengladbach, in the longest final ever. And then I will wake up and find we have avoided relegation to remain in the top flight. ANYTHING ABOVE 12th WILL DO ME THIS SEASON, THANKYOU.

F@ck going near Serbia or that, we get murdered. Just look at the Italy game.

Yeah, you're right. I went to see Red Star play a Champions League qualifier against Cork City at the Marakana a few years back and spent the whole game scared sh1tless. Shall we just opt for Croatia then? I hear they have nice beaches.