FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

The Pre-Season Thread

Guzz

Not feckin guilty (fer once!!) - stop the feckin interference as I am trying to arrange a feckin binge. :nanananana:

Anyway I cant feckin txt when sober far less when animated at a match !!

What he said!!!!

Is there anyone still undecided about the England tour? I know of 10 people (most of them on this site) off the top of my head that will be at Bristol. Anyone still undecided? There's flights from Sneck, Glasgow and Edinburgh the morning of the game. Not as many folk going to Aldershot though.

I like randomly giving people red dots. It pleases me.

So would you be one of the individuals who has given Mahonio three red dots in total for taking the proverbial out of himself?

I'm afraid it very much does look like abuse because of personality clashes to me, rather than any effort to respond appropriately to posts actually made.

Personally, if I can't give a green dot, I don't give any. I have never been on a forum before which allows members the option to denigrate other members posts without having to have the courage to put their names to their opinions. Red dots are the coward's reaction.

After all, why would a discussion forum allow people not to have to discuss? I can see the point of the green dots as a plethora of "I agrees" would be rather monotonous...but red dots are disagreeing with something, which would, in a real discussion forum, require a few words of explanation.

(And Mahonio.....try bolding words you want to emphasise......that arouses less ire than using Capitals on a forum...and smilies like rant.gif rather than exclamation marks )

Edited by Oddquine
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 2

Dont take it to heart Mahonio, was looking at an IHE anagram on another post which got me thinking and by the way,

Mahonio = Oh I moan. :rolleyes:

How apt - well spotted that man - :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

So are there any takers for the Aldershot pub crawl - as I have now received the actual route march from my mucker Scott !!

Dont take it to heart Mahonio, was looking at an IHE anagram on another post which got me thinking and by the way,

Mahonio = Oh I moan. :rolleyes:

How apt - well spotted that man - :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

So are there any takers for the Aldershot pub crawl - as I have now received the actual route march from my mucker Scott !!

Count me in from the Red Lion or maybe from the kick-off if taxi's are involved :party::drinking05::drinking06::drinking01:

See ya at the Red Lion - probably around 6 ish - if anybody else is interested then here is the route - perhaps Steve Taylor can set us time targets !!

1. Head towards Aldershot from the Lion Brewery and turn right at the roundabout (sadly closed pub called Dover Arms where you used to have a really decent pint and the landlord would also sell you some eggs from his duck pond out the back!!!!). Wander up and over the hill and in about half a mile, you get to a boozer called the Standard of England. Ale not bad!

2. From there, turn left at the roundabout and head along for about another third to half a mile and you will find Ash United FC on your right (keep your eyes peeled for it). The clubhouse does a nice pint and they are a pretty friendly club. They have a home friendly that day so should be open.

3. Carry along the road in the same direction for another few hundred metres (5 mins walk) and you get to a boozer called The Greyhound on a roundabout. It is an Ember Inn place and does well priced food and half decent ales!

4. At this roundabout go right from the direction you have come. This is probably the longest stretch of walking as another pub on the way has also shut. But about ? of a mile along (pass over a huge roundabout over the dual carriageway and then three sets of lights and continue for a while) then on your left hand side is the Red Lion. Good ale!! Nice beer garden too. I would probably take a taxi for this one to save a bit of time?

5. After this, carry on round about 100m and you will find the Golden Lion on your right (you are now on Aldershot High Street although it is not actually the main street of the town!!!). This pub (I think still?) is run by an ex-Aldershot favourite called Joe Jopling. Nice chap and played hundreds of times for the shots over many years. This is a real Shots pub.

6. Carry along the High Street for another 3-400m and when you see the Texaco garage, turn right up the hill immmediately before it and maybe 150m up on the left there is a very small place called the Albion.

7. 200m further up the hill you will find the Royal Staff pub which is where I normally go before matches (I normally get there around 1.30 on match days). Best kept ale in town and very much away fan friendly. Nice beer garden out the back and a big bouncy castle out back as well should anyone be getting silly by that time!!!

8. From the Staff 100m up the hill and then a swift right and another 50m to La Fontaine which is the boozer at the away end of the ground. Not greatest place in my opinion. Often aggro when big games are on as well but I doubt any aggro with ICT (mainly only kicks off for Oxford, Hereford, Brentford, etc).

9. Other side of the roundabout (20m) is the entrance to the away section.

Guest Mahonio

I like randomly giving people red dots. It pleases me.

So would you be one of the individuals who has given Mahonio three red dots in total for taking the proverbial out of himself?

I'm afraid it very much does look like abuse because of personality clashes to me, rather than any effort to respond appropriately to posts actually made.

Personally, if I can't give a green dot, I don't give any. I have never been on a forum before which allows members the option to denigrate other members posts without having to have the courage to put their names to their opinions. Red dots are the coward's reaction.

After all, why would a discussion forum allow people not to have to discuss? I can see the point of the green dots as a plethora of "I agrees" would be rather monotonous...but red dots are disagreeing with something, which would, in a real discussion forum, require a few words of explanation.

(And Mahonio.....try bolding words you want to emphasise......that arouses less ire than using Capitals on a forum...and smilies like rant.gif rather than exclamation marks )

Again, thanks OQ for defending me here and i take your point regarding my posting style. As i said earlier on, i feel i am being treated very unfairly for a post written a year ago which i had the courage to apologise for due to being in the wrong and by the way, i agree with OQ post regarding abuse of the red dots, i feel that i am one of the said "targets" for getting red dots :shrug:. Now i suppose i better post this because i am :offtopic01:.

Why do you always bring up the old chestnut of saying it's because of the "Butcher Out" thread you started, nearly a year ago (which wasn't even the first one you made)? How do you know that this "targeting" is specifically because of that thread, which you seem to blame for every red dot you have ever gotten? You also fail to mention that in that "apology thread", you got 12 green dots. It should be noted as well that you asked for match updates this time last season and got a similar reaction - and this was before the Celtic 6-0 game.

Personally, I think you wouldn't get so many if you got over it and stopped commenting every time one comes your way.

Edited by Renegade

Guest Mahonio

Do us all a favour next time and start a new thread please. You'll see less red that way.

Why because its pre-season updates i was looking for and the name of this thread funnily enough is "The Pre-Season thread" so if i did start a new one then surely the mods would just merge my one and this one but point taken lad :twothumbsup:.

[warn='Righto guys and girls.']This forum is for ICT related topics, not discussing the rights and wrongs of red dot green dot.[/warn]

If you want to continue the discussion about the way people type then do it by PM. There are now 25 hidden posts already on this thread. Please keep to the title as the pre-season thread is important to some. Some members have already been PM'd regarding red dot bullying, if this continues then more PM's will be sent out.

Mahonio, try and keep to the topic as well please. If you have an issue with any post then please report it through the system.

Remember, we are all different in some way or other, please respect others opinions and posting style.

• Agree 1

Well maybe the answer to all this nonsense is to get rid of the red dot-green dot stuff completely. Opionions no doubt differ but I really fail to see the use of them apart from stirring up more controversy perhaps. The green ones feel good and the recipients of the red ones feel.

Since we all have th right to post what we like , provided it is within the rules, then can't a person just say honestly that they don't care for a post of have a different opinion on the subject without all this sly stuff.

We all got on fine for years and got along with a lot more humour before the mantra "Keep it Simple Sam"" became not enough for the modern scene which seeks to provide so many options for every single thing that one does that one needs a huge Manual to access a web site , or buy a new telly or a new computer these days.

Now please give me a dot so that I can check myself out.OOOOOOOH!

:werenotworthy:

[warn='Please Read.....']Ok, here is the deal.

Moderators have tried to be as polite as possible in bring this thread back on track and from what I can see they have been ignored, and in some cases people have started to take the piss.

If you don't understand polite, then perhaps you'll understand this....

1. We HAVE identified a handful of users who appear to be bullying one other user. These people have been messaged asking them to stop, some have ignored that warning and a site suspension is now being considered. Bullying WILL NOT be tolerated in any form.

2. A few more users have decided to jump on the bandwagon thinking it is some kind of game....STOP NOW or risk the same fate as those above.

3. We have a Report System for dealing with any issues a user thinks may exist. Site rules/guidelines clearly state that this is how any/all problems should and will be dealt with. The moment a "victim" chooses to ignore that system and start ranting on the forum they become part of the problem and will be dealt with accordingly.

4. There will be no further discussion of this matter on this or any other thread by site users. If you have a problem with anything in this post or in regards to this topic, Report It or PM a Moderator. Any more posts on the matter will be deleted and warnings will be issued.

Now...can we all just grow up and get back to football??? Thank You.[/warn]

• Agree 3

Ok Back on a football theme, is anyone else not impressed by our signings / loans / quality of players attracted here? Looking at the squad we have no right back ( proc aint a right back ) One experienced central defender (who aint really a central defender ) we've signed a few kids and two very much untried players at SPL level and one first div player who could hardly be described as a prolific scorer in that league.

The SPL kicks off a week saturday and our squad looks so weak that i'm beginning to worry.

• Agree 2

I'm a little apprehensive, but that's probably more to do with not knowing much about our new players (and their being so many of them) as opposed to not thinking they are up to the task.

A fortnight is a long time in football (especially during transfer time) so I'm trying to remain in "wait and see" mode.

Ok Back on a football theme, is anyone else not impressed by our signings / loans / quality of players attracted here? Looking at the squad we have no right back ( proc aint a right back ) One experienced central defender (who aint really a central defender ) we've signed a few kids and two very much untried players at SPL level and one first div player who could hardly be described as a prolific scorer in that league.

The SPL kicks off a week saturday and our squad looks so weak that i'm beginning to worry.

I have to say that I sort of agree to a certain extent. I've only seen many of these new signings once and on the whole, only Tansey I thought looked like a particularly good capture. There's hasn't been a signing this time round, and there hasn't been one for quite some time where I've gone "Yes, this man WILL improve the team", and from what I've seen so far, none of these new signings really look like the sorts I'll be doing cartwheels over.

This team has potential - that I do believe, but it just needs one or two big players to come in and that could turn this team from perhaps a decent one into a good one.

Guest Mahonio

i am all sorted regarding updates for the remaining pre-season matches by the way, thanks to Lizi :twothumbsup::twothumbsup:.

Oh and also CapitalCaley, he is doing the England tour games for me :twothumbsup:, bad of me to forget he was doing updates as well so just for me :yellowcard:.

Up until the weekend i have to say i was confident that Terry would have the majority of the rebuilding work done however we are still clearly in need of new arrivals and quickly. Almost every team in the SPL has strenghtened significantly however we seem to be quite a bit behind.

My faith in Tel is unfloundering but at the rate we are going it is going to be into the start of the season before we have any sort of complete squad or any sort of cohesion. It takes a long time for any team to gel after such a refit and we really need to get new players on board asap

hopefully this week will see some reinforcements join the team

It's probably too early to be uploading the Private Fraser 'we're doomed' clips but I am seriously worried. I do admire Terrys plan of using youth and presumably moulding these guys for the future, long term that's great, but not if it gets us relegated this season!!! I'm sure there will be more developments before the start of the season. If we're all saying we need more players, i'm sure Terry and Mo have figured that out as well! I'm sure they will still be on the hunt and hopefully it will all be in place for the Motherwell game. I'm expecting us to lose in England which is a bad advert for the SPL, but hopefully it will be good work outs for them. I am looking forward to the England trip but if we do perform badly it will be a bit embarrassing speaking to the locals afterwards, however, Motherwell Away is when it all matters though.