FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

The Pre-Season Thread

Guzz

Right. Am planning on both Yeovil and Bristol. Can't do Aldershot (I'm only a part-time fan after all) but might make Buckie the week after. Does anyone know either Yeovil or Bath? It's all zider country to me...

Don't know much about them atall, other than there's flights from Sneck and Glasgow to Bristol. Bristol is pretty much joined on to Bath, and there's a few of us staying in Premier Inn in Bristol. That is the extent of my knowledge. Oh and there's a Butlins not too far away in Minehead, if that's anyones type of holiday!

Booked. Anyone going to Yeovil?

Unfortunately ICT have planned their Englandshire tour whilst I'm on holiday.. :cry:

The only one I may have a slight chance of going to is Bristol Rovers in sunny Bath.

Would it not be logical to arrange the Ross County friendly to the pre-season, even if it was moved to Dingwall.

Would it not be logical to arrange the Ross County friendly to the pre-season, even if it was moved to Dingwall.

There's a charity one in september!

Yes, that's the one I was referring too.

Has that one not been arranged to fit in with an International free week or something?

We've not heard anything about this over the bridge. Anyone care to explain when this friendly is taking place?smile.gif

There's a charity one in september!

Yes, that's the one I was referring too.

Has that one not been arranged to fit in with an International free week or something?

We've not heard anything about this over the bridge. Anyone care to explain when this friendly is taking place?smile.gif

Not sure of the date but it was announced a few months ago as part of the Inverness Courier / ARCHIE Foundation ?1m appeal to fund the new childrens ward at Raigmore

Who put the Y and the O in Yeovil :ohmy: :ohmy:

Try the Lion Brewery B&B fer Alderhot :thumbup:

If you are staying at the Lion Brewery, you'll certainly get comfortable cheapish digs and a good welcome and a decent pint and possibly some live music. It is not actually in Aldershot but on the far side of Ash - a good 2 or 3 miles outside of Aldershot town centre (a bit long to walk although there is a possible amusing pub crawl). Not much else very close by the Lion except a take away place, a scabby offie and a cheapo oriental or indian resto. From the Lion, it is an easy walk up onto the Army ranges from there as well (open to public when they are not shooting!!). The train to Aldershot town is not an option (wrong route) but there should be an infreqent local bus into town or it would maybe cost you 6 or 7 quid in a private hire taxi.

For those thinking of staying at Tiffanys... Ha ha ha!!! You could do worse than stay above Aldershots premier strip club and you would be right in the town centre with plenty of pub options ;-)

Cheers

Scott

Me and Uncle Albert are staying in Plymouth for a couple of weeks and I suppose it would be rude not to take in the games.

We are planning Yeovil and Bristol Rovers but can't make Aldershot. Pity we couldn't get a game against the Pilgrims.

Staying in Warminster for a few days, maybe do Longleat on Wednesday (might leave UA there)

Thats us sorted for Bristol and Aldershot. Good deals at Travelodge Cheltenham on way down on Wednesday, Ibis Bristol Thursday, and Potters International in Aldershot Friday and Saturday. Can't wait for the fun to begin :drinking01:

Thats us sorted for Bristol and Aldershot. Good deals at Travelodge Cheltenham on way down on Wednesday, Ibis Bristol Thursday, and Potters International in Aldershot Friday and Saturday. Can't wait for the fun to begin :drinking01:

:twothumbsup: Good stuff! Have you seen the stadium in Bath where we're playing Bristol? looks like Central Park, Cowdenbeath! It has a bar linked to the stadium I believe, which is very handy!

Who put the Y and the O in Yeovil :ohmy: :ohmy:

Try the Lion Brewery B&B fer Alderhot :thumbup:

If you are staying at the Lion Brewery, you'll certainly get comfortable cheapish digs and a good welcome and a decent pint and possibly some live music. It is not actually in Aldershot but on the far side of Ash - a good 2 or 3 miles outside of Aldershot town centre (a bit long to walk although there is a possible amusing pub crawl). Not much else very close by the Lion except a take away place, a scabby offie and a cheapo oriental or indian resto. From the Lion, it is an easy walk up onto the Army ranges from there as well (open to public when they are not shooting!!). The train to Aldershot town is not an option (wrong route) but there should be an infreqent local bus into town or it would maybe cost you 6 or 7 quid in a private hire taxi.

For those thinking of staying at Tiffanys... Ha ha ha!!! You could do worse than stay above Aldershots premier strip club and you would be right in the town centre with plenty of pub options ;-)

Cheers

Scott

Cheers Scott - the Lion Brewery looked like a cheap option at a Real Ale pub BUT a possible amusing pub crawl - tell me more !! What will be the craic on the Saturday - best craic and watering hole before the game ?

Cheers Scott - the Lion Brewery looked like a cheap option at a Real Ale pub BUT a possible amusing pub crawl - tell me more !! What will be the craic on the Saturday - best craic and watering hole before the game ?

If you are genuinely interested in a pub crawl from the Lion Brewery to Aldershot stadium, I can give you a list of venues (Standard of England, Ash United FC clubhouse, Greyhound, etc). Up to 1/2 mile between some of the pubs and you could get through roughly 7 or 8 boozers before stumbling up to the ground.

However, if there are a few of you, I would suggest trying to arrange a 'guided tour' of the Hogs Back Brewery (www.hogsback.co.uk). This is a real brewery and well worth doing the tour. Last time I went on it, it was 8 quid a head and I'm sure I had at least 8 quids worth of beer on the way round - they dont scrimp on the ale sampling!!! The place is in Tongham and a short ride from the lion brewery (maybve 1.5 miles). Down the road from there as well is a decent boozer called the White Hart which itself does an excellent range of beers! The White hart has live music on as regular basis and also has regular beer festivals which are well worth a visit!

Around the football ground, your pub options would include the Crimea pub just over the road from the home end of the ground. Probably the busiest pub pre-match if that is what you are looking for. Large beer garden out the front. Under the railway bridge about 100m further along the High Street is a pub called The Beehive. This place has a bit of a reputation for aggro although I doubt many of the wee forehead Burberry capped lot will be looking for trouble on a friendly match day. If you go up Redan Hill (turn left up the hill immediately after the railway bridge), you will find the "La Fontaine" pub at the top of the hill on the roundabout. That is pretty much right where the (quite well hidden) away fans entrance is found. However, I have always found this pub to be pretty dreary and serving poor quality beers by utterly disinterested staff! One street down from there however (on Staff Road), you will find the Royal Staff pub which is unlikely to be hugely busy but does serve probably the best ales in town and is away fan friendly and also has a good beer garden out the back.

Hope that helps.

Scott

• Agree 1

Who fancies doing a mini Highland March to the game ? I like the thought of the Brewery trip as well.

I may never come back from Aldershot :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

:twothumbsup:

Remember I am relying on you for a lift the next day lol Guess we'll both be lost in Aldershot! Of course, we also have to make it a shot themed march. At least 1 shot in every pub, and maybe a shot afterwards per goal scored. A nice 5-4 victory could make that interesting! :sarcastic:

Who fancies doing a mini Highland March to the game ? I like the thought of the Brewery trip as well.

I may never come back from Aldershot :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

:twothumbsup:

Remember I am relying on you for a lift the next day lol Guess we'll both be lost in Aldershot! Of course, we also have to make it a shot themed march. At least 1 shot in every pub, and maybe a shot afterwards per goal scored. A nice 5-4 victory could make that interesting! :sarcastic:

I like the idea of a brewery trip, as a warm up on the Friday :drinking03: . I like the idea of a march, and a drinking game on the way, now let me think about that one :ponder:

If the game at Aldershot was an evening kick off I woould go fer both but neither before an early kick off - Its not that I am becoming an old softie it is just becos I am feckin lazy.

But we have a choice fer the Friday - I fancy booking in at the hotel (doubt if we will get there till mid afternoon anyway) and head in marching on to Aldershot - and a taxi back home.

Hit us with the pubs Scott and we will route Aldershot March 1 - anyone care to sponsor us ??

Plus a long shot BUT is anyone from my neck of the woods fancy going up and down to Yeovil - sharing the drive if needed - well the drive down anyway :tongueincheek: