FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Butcher and Malpas extend contracts

CaleyD

Seems a sensible move to keep with a trusted & experienced management pair for football reasons for a few years

but also in these times of austerity it would be a good control of costs manoeuvre by the board. Replacing management would not be cheap for a variety of different reasons.

May as well be done now to settle the club

As usual the site admin and moderating team can only see nothing but positives :amazed:

dougal

Bollocks.

The ubiquitous Bollocks phrases. Golden bollocks, Grande bollocks, dogs bollocks, dougals bollocks, bollocks dougal.

When does you fishing permit expire Dougal.

As usual the site admin and moderating team can only see nothing but positives :amazed:

dougal

Bollocks.

The ubiquitous Bollocks phrases. Golden bollocks, Grande bollocks, dogs bollocks, dougals bollocks, bollocks dougal.

Looks like you were'nt disappointed Scotty , 1 poster dares have an opinion and the personal insults soon start !

• Disagree 2

While I agree in principle with those who say that this is a funny time for a manager to sign a new deal, I have to wonder about the would-be alternative. Lets just say hypothetically for a moment that Butcher was to resign right now - who would be in the running to replace him? Derek Adams? Jimmy Calderwood? Jim Duffy? These types would be the kind of names trotted out and bar a surprise appointment, the job would probably go to someone like that. None of those aforementioned or similar candidates would be as good as the current incumbent. None of them would be as good as bringing people in, particularly from down south (this is where having a "big name" manager perhaps does help) nor have the PR skills that come in only a few managers even in the game worldwide and Butcher is one of them. Nobody has the package of the incumbent. He ain't perfect by any means, but Butcher is the best we have or could have - for now.

One word - vision.

I think Kenny Cameron and the board are showing vision in giving the management a contract extension. The management team, I believe, share this vision. I sincerely think they are aiming for top six. And by top six I mean not merely a placing come the end of the season, but in terms of the club becoming established in the SPL and moving forward.

I am pleased that they have signed on and share the vision the club has.

Yes, we have been unfortunate with injuries this season.

Yes, there have been drastic changes in playing personnel.

Things change in football.

Things change all of the time in life.

Here's what I'd really like to know - the wage structure of each and every SPL club. I would hazard a guess that we are probably working on the smallest budget - hence the loan signings. Hence the untested young guys who are coming in looking for their breaks - like former player Adam Rooney.

One thing I will say though is that Terry Butcher is, pound for pound, one million times the manager Neil Lennon is.

Edited by Top Six Next Year
  • Agree 1

Guest Mahonio

To all you guys questioning the timing of this news take a look at this quote from Kenny Cameron "The league position never entered the directors thoughts".

Surely that quote means that the board were never likely to sack Tel so even if we are still bottom by the beginning of January, it wouldn't make any difference because Kenny would still offer new contracts.

I was starting to really turn on Terry after the Aberdeen result but now that he is staying on until 2014, i am going to back him all the way, sometimes i am very quick to turn on managers but just now i am managing to stick by 2 managers, who in the past i would have called to be sacked, these being Andy Robinson and in a way Craig Levein.

Now, let the climb up SPL table start :twothumbsup:.

Good post Mahonio.

The board have made it very clear that they are sticking to their guns and are prepared to back Terry and Mo and their vision for the club which is only fair given the job the managment team has done over previous seasons. I too was seething after the Aberdeen game but for me the last couple of games we have shown real signs of improvement and that this squad could yet turn out to be very good indeed. If we can kick on from last week i see no reason why we cant start climbing the table.

dougal

Bollocks.

Looks like you were'nt disappointed Scotty , 1 poster dares have an opinion and the personal insults soon start !

Indeed ... the discussion was going quite nicely with many opinions expressed in a reasonable fashion and then rebutted by others with differing opinions. no harm, no foul, and no petty bullshit.

There was therefore no need for one poster to ruin a post that might have contained several perfectly valid points by personalising it and insulting other peoples opinions, even if they were the opinions of moderators ..... I also see it as somewhat ironic that he says he is not scared to have an opinion then seeks to deny and denigrate others from having a different one .....

anyhow, lets see if we can get back on topic ....... this is not what the thread is for and I stand by my comments in post #21 .......

What? Dougall on a fishing trip?

Why that must be right since bollocks rhymes with rowlocks.... :rotflmao:

This Board decision could turn out to be the smartest move of the season. Inspired even.

It should improve the stability of the club, give confidence to the players and reduce the nervousness of a Management team which some fans have been reviewing in a negative light.With an assured future for the foreseeable time Terry and Mo can calm down and spend their energy on the players and on team strategy/tactics.

If it does not bring an upbeat tone to this club I will be very surprised indeed. With George Fraser keeping his very competent eye on what is transpiringanand his elegant finger in the pieto assist the able Kenny Cameron how canm thius club now fail?

Great decision . Great future for Inverness Caley Thistle. :twothumbsup:

Heard you the first time.

Wow, Renegade. You've changed your tune. Although I disagree about Jimmy Calderwood. Look at the before and after of his time at Aberdeen and Dunfermline to see what a fine manager he was.

I applaud the decision :clapping: (see, I told you). He's done wonders since he got here. Let's give him a longer run to run the club his way, the same way that Pele moulded ICT to his ideas.

So we are "firmly rooted at the bottom of the table" are we .. .?

We are 1 point behind the three teams above us, two points behind thetwo above them. One win and one or more of those above losing and wecould be up 2 or 3 places and right back in it. In terms of goaldifferences, we are on -9 as is Dumfermline with Hibs on -7. Aberdeen areon -3, courtesy of their recent 4-0 thumping of the Fifers. And even StMirren are still within our sights.

There is a loooooong way to go in this league. Our new team isstarting to show some confidence and therefore results. The picture ismuch more hopeful now than it was at the start but they just need to keepplaying and keep grinding out results.

Too much of football is about sacking managers, but there are heavycosts involved in that mindset and it is too often the easy answer to what areusually much deeper underlying issues. To create a measure of stabilityat this stage shows that the board have confidence in the strategy that Terryand June have laid out and are willing to put their money where their mouth is.

More sail!

• Agree 2

So we are "firmly rooted at the bottom of the table" are we .. .?

We are 1 point behind the three teams above us, two points behind thetwo above them. One win and one or more of those above losing and wecould be up 2 or 3 places and right back in it. In terms of goaldifferences, we are on -9 as is Dumfermline with Hibs on -7. Aberdeen areon -3, courtesy of their recent 4-0 thumping of the Fifers. And even StMirren are still within our sights.

There is a loooooong way to go in this league. Our new team isstarting to show some confidence and therefore results. The picture ismuch more hopeful now than it was at the start but they just need to keepplaying and keep grinding out results.

Too much of football is about sacking managers, but there are heavycosts involved in that mindset and it is too often the easy answer to what areusually much deeper underlying issues. To create a measure of stabilityat this stage shows that the board have confidence in the strategy that Terryand June have laid out and are willing to put their money where their mouth is.

More sail!

Who said we are "firmly rooted to the bottom of the table"? From what I can see anyone speaking out against the wisdom of offering contracts at this stage has also acknowledged that, given good results, we could turn this position around in a few games and have said so before you took the time to recap the league position for us. Think back to the Brewster sacking, when fans started calling for his departure we had not even hit the bottom position, I am not suggesting that we sack Butcher and I do not believe anyone has suggested that. What is being suggested is that offering a new contract when things are so uncertain may have been the wrong move, should things not improve, and consider that the teams immediately above us are showing signs of improvement too, then it could end up being a costly exercise.

Like any other fan I hope beyond hope for my team to do well but I question the logic of offering contracts to an underperforming management team who had refused to give contracts to a couple of our better performing players just a few months earlier, Butcher may be a legend but so were Munro and Duncan. Legend status should not be a consideration in the extension of contracts, results should be, this decision could have waited, this decision should have waited.

• Agree 1

While I can see both sides of the argument I remain convinced we should have waited a bit, at present nobody knows if Butchers strategy is going to work, early signs haven't been over encouraging so I am just a bit confused about the timing.

Finally having a go at people for having some doubts about this is ludicrous in the extreme, I would have thought Moderators understood that the purpose of a forum was for people to express their opinions.

• Agree 1

To all you guys questioning the timing of this news take a look at this quote from Kenny Cameron "The league position never entered the directors thoughts".

That's not what really people are questioning. Seven weeks into a season is a funny time to offer new deals - when things become clearer in January, that would have been more appropriate.

That's not what really people are questioning. Seven weeks into a season is a funny time to offer new deals - when things become clearer in January, that would have been more appropriate.

When the league is the bread and butter for clubs then league position should be the first thought of the directors, I was going to rant about poor running of the club but that would be wrong since I have not seen the quote in it's full context.

I am delighted with the new contract for Terry and Mo. For me they are the ideal team to bring the team forward as they have a definite plan of where they want to take the club.

I can understand the point of view that the signing may be early with where the club is at the moment and can see the argument for waiting until January.

But IMHO this is a sharp piece of business by the board. They show confidence in the management team at a crucial time, which can only benefit a team struggling mainly due to an atrocious injury record this season. This will bolster the team and hopefully this will bleed through into our performances.

Remember, moderators are posters too.

My previous comment was with regards to the negative comments against something that is surely only a positive move by the club. However, there are certain posters who always find a way to take the shine off of anything that happens, in my opinion, based purely on stirring the muck. I also wonder how many of the negative posters have seen us play this season on a regular basis and if the answer is yes, then there is no way that the form of the team should lead to the negative conclusions drawn out kindly for us all to see. Yes, the club the management the players and the fans all have their faults as well, but playing devils advocate does little to raise confidence and the belief of others if they read what they see at face value. I am not convinced that many of the postings on here are for real, and fishing trips are a part of forums that we all have to sift through.

I have no issue with anyone partaking in debate, whether positive or negatively, but simply being negative for the sake of it is just immature and frankly turns a lot of people off.

Why wait until January to make this decision? The club see the current duo as the way forward, signing them on now builds confidence in many ways for players, management, investors and fans alike. Would some like to see the current management fall flat on their faces. I fully understand why the question was asked, I just wondered if it should have been asked at this time.

With regards to the bread and butter comment, surely there is more to this than simply we are bottom of the league full stop. The board obviously have more vision and are looking at the bigger picture, sometimes you have to go backwards before you can go forward.

Remember this, not everything you read on here is meant with good intentions, I'll let you make your own mind up about that.

And to finish off, I am sure the board will have a few legal loopholes to use if it all goes tots up, so I am all in favour of this early boost.

• Agree 2

Think back to the Brewster sacking, when fans started calling for his departure we had not even hit the bottom position

I think that says it all about Brewster and his second time at the club. IMHO, most fans were against him returning from the off (including me!). Just like McLeish at Villa, there's far less give'n'take.

While I can see both sides of the argument I remain convinced we should have waited a bit, at present nobody knows if Butchers strategy is going to work, early signs haven't been over encouraging so I am just a bit confused about the timing.

Finally having a go at people for having some doubts about this is ludicrous in the extreme, I would have thought Moderators understood that the purpose of a forum was for people to express their opinions.

Other than the "bollocks" comment which was a response to a poster starting the personal bullshit and having a go at the moderators rather than a moderator having a go at anyone - ie. the opposite of what you seem to be suggesting - can you show me where any moderator has sought to deny a poster the right to express their opinion in this thread?

Other than the "bollocks" comment which was a response to a poster starting the personal bullshit and having a go at the moderators rather than a moderator having a go at anyone - ie. the opposite of what you seem to be suggesting - can you show me where any moderator has sought to deny a poster the right to express their opinion in this thread?

Can you show me where I said that the moderator "has sought to deny a poster the right to express their opinion", I just thought that post #11 was having a go at people that up until that stage were just expressing their opinion.

Remember, moderators are posters too.

My previous comment was with regards to the negative comments against something that is surely only a positive move by the club. However, there are certain posters who always find a way to take the shine off of anything that happens, in my opinion, based purely on stirring the muck. I also wonder how many of the negative posters have seen us play this season on a regular basis and if the answer is yes, then there is no way that the form of the team should lead to the negative conclusions drawn out kindly for us all to see. Yes, the club the management the players and the fans all have their faults as well, but playing devils advocate does little to raise confidence and the belief of others if they read what they see at face value. I am not convinced that many of the postings on here are for real, and fishing trips are a part of forums that we all have to sift through.

I have no issue with anyone partaking in debate, whether positive or negatively, but simply being negative for the sake of it is just immature and frankly turns a lot of people off.

Why wait until January to make this decision? The club see the current duo as the way forward, signing them on now builds confidence in many ways for players, management, investors and fans alike. Would some like to see the current management fall flat on their faces. I fully understand why the question was asked, I just wondered if it should have been asked at this time.

With regards to the bread and butter comment, surely there is more to this than simply we are bottom of the league full stop. The board obviously have more vision and are looking at the bigger picture, sometimes you have to go backwards before you can go forward.

Remember this, not everything you read on here is meant with good intentions, I'll let you make your own mind up about that.

And to finish off, I am sure the board will have a few legal loopholes to use if it all goes tots up, so I am all in favour of this early boost.

You are correct this is a move by the club which was done from a positive perspective, it is a move which shows commitment to the management team, my original point though is not one of negativity for the sake of negativity as your post here would seem to be hinting at, I am thinking that Butcher himself said (during the transfer window) that the way things are in the game short contracts are the way to go at this time for reasons already discussed on this forum. It seems a little hypocritical that management should be offered extensions to their contracts when players have the uncertainty of short term contracts hanging over them, everyone knows that playing careers are short so why give players even more doubt with short contracts? Why not raise their confidence by giving them longer terms also?

Why is it down to the fans to create confidence in the team rather than the other way around?

We have already taken the big step backwards through relegation, then moved forwards through a great season last year, do we have to go backwards and forwards in alternative seasons? I am not trying to play devil's advocate, I am genuinely wanting to know why this has been announced now. If I was to play devil's advocate I would ask if this is a move to build confidence in the fans given our league position rather than a move to build confidence within the team. For the record I do not believe this to be the case.

As I said before, what is good for the goose should be good for the gander and if the club feel that players should only be given short term contracts for financial reasons then the same should go for the management team. If players are seen as a financial risk and are kept on due to performance then the same should go for coaching staff. I hope that the club answer my concerns now by proving me wrong and showing the same level of commitment to the playing staff as they have to the coaching staff. I would also hope that you could take the time to reread my posts and take notice of the positive aspects within them instead of picking up on the negative aspects and dwelling on them.

• Agree 1

Who said we are "firmly rooted to the bottom of the table"?

The term, which was from yourself, was actually "sitting rock bottom" and I had inferred that to mean what I said in my post which is not necessarily the case. My error, apologies.

However, I still believe that this is good news as it should still any rumblings or uncertainties, at least for a while.

Then again, when things really are tough, no manager ever wants to hear a Club spokesperson say " . . . . has the full confidence of the Board . . . " as that is usually an indicator of this: getmecoat.gif !!!

• Agree 1

Who said we are "firmly rooted to the bottom of the table"?

The term, which was from yourself, was actually "sitting rock bottom" and I had inferred that to mean what I said in my post which is not necessarily the case. My error, apologies.

However, I still believe that this is good news as it should still any rumblings or uncertainties, at least for a while.

Then again, when things really are tough, no manager ever wants to hear a Club spokesperson say " . . . . has the full confidence of the Board . . . " as that is usually an indicator of this: getmecoat.gif !!!

Thanks for the apology, green dot for that. I meant exactly what I typed we are sitting rock bottom in no way do I think we deserve to be rooted there, nor do I think it is beyond our ability to get off the bottom but it is a possibility that we could find ourselves there at the end of the season and this should be a consideration when planning for the future, we have no idea of the terms of the contracts which have been awarded but I do think that if they were to remain contracts of SPL value and we were to find ourselves an SFL club once again that would be a serious misjudgement.

I'm happy he has been given a new contract as i rate him as a manager quite highly, however this season he has scared me a little in the way of getting rid of Munro and Duncan and not replacing them with anyone as good or better. I'm also not the biggest fan of these loan moves as i like to see players playing for us for the longhaul. I do however understand why he does this and we recieved Aaron Doran because of this.

We do seem to be improving but as someone else said, so are Hibs and Aberdeen. Seeing as his contract has been signed up till 2014 is everyone happy if he is still with us if we get relegated this season? I don't think it'll happen but i think its a tough spl this season and it could. If we get relegated would we be ok with that for the long term plans of this club and hope Terry can bring us back up the first chance of asking?