FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Are certain Players guaranteed their positions?

davieB

Nope, not a knee jerk reaction after todays woeful performance.

It seems to me though that certain players simply aren't 'doing it' this season.

Tokely...legend he may be, but I've yet to see him have a decent game this season. In fact, he's been by and large poor.

Dods...we know he'll be away this summer, and while he's not been bad this season I don't think he's been half the player he was last year.

What must Caff do to get a chance?????

Duncan.....sorry, but anyone who can't make a simple pass shouldn't be playing at this level.

Black....I've seen absolutely nothing so far to justify the reaction we all had to his possible movement to Utd in the summer. He's been gash.

Up front....hmmmmm, still trying to work out why Rory gets a place on the bench let alone the pitch!!

It seems to me that when certain players eg Hart have a bad game they get slated, then disappear for a while. Yet others can play poor week after week and play every match.

It's time CC started being a bit more ruthless.

Nobody played well today, but Black wasn't gash, he & Dods worked their socks off....

Tokely was disappointing but it's unfair to say he hasn't had a decent game this season.... he played very well against Celtic (home) and against Dunfermline & even scored the winner in that one....

Black has been awful this season.

Tokely....two decent games then. Not many in the season to date.

Dods wasn't the worst today, granted, but as I said I'm basing this on the season so far. In saying that, his tackle that gave them the penalty was totally avoidable and should never have been made.

You've missed out the most obvious player

Roy Mcbain  :008:

It's like starting with 10 men

He contributes nothing. More often than not he goes backwards or sideways. He can't takle. He has no positional sense.

I used to think he looked out of his depth in the 1st division so how he starts week in week out astounds me.

Black - think CC see's a bit of himself in the lad and possibly cuts him a bit more slack when it comes to team selection than he does others.  Black himself seems to have developed the attitude that he can do no wrong when he is on the pitch and if he targetted the effort he uses arguing and back-chatting the ref back into his game then I think the potential is there.

Dods - I believe he is selected ahead of Caff because of his experience and leadership on the park.  However, with him now looking to serve a suspension then Caff has to come in and show he is worthy of the place.  If he can do that then CC may be tempted to take a cash offer for Dods in the transfer window putting a few more pennies in the bank for much needed players elsewhere.

Tokley - Quite simply....who else is there to realistically challenge him for his place

Duncan - I still think the guy gets a lot of undeserved flack.  Admittedly he nerve shines out in a game, but the players who stand out are just as often those who have a bad game as those who have a good one.  He is one of the few players you can rely upon for consistency.

Dargo - Don't think we get the best from him playing alongside Bayne.

Bayne - Don't think we see the best of him playing as an out and out striker.  Would like to see him sittingbehind a front two doing the graft, chasing the ball...basically doing all the leg work for a front two who can then concentrate more on getting into dangerous positions and causing trouble for the opposition.

Wyness - He hasn't shown much of his old self in what I have seen of him since he returned, again I think this may be down to the formation and tactics we play and would like to see himgiven a chance alongside Dargo with Bayne sitting in behind them.

Sorry CaleyD I usually agree with the majority of your comments but there is NO WAY Bayne could/would/should play behind a front 2. Agreed he puts his heart and soul into every performance but that has to be to make up for his lack of basic footballing skills. He has very poor control, can't pass, he has poor positional sense and isn't even that good in the air. He does work his socks off though and I wish that work ethic would rub off on some of our other players

Guest Get_off_the_park_Wyness!

"It seems to me that when certain players eg Hart have a bad game they get slated, then disappear for a while. Yet others can play poor week after week and play every match."

Bingo. Although at least he finally managed to drop Rankin.

"You've missed out the most obvious player

Roy Mcbain 

It's like starting with 10 men"

:018: Don't agree with that one. McBain covers as much ground in 90 minutes as anyone on the park. He makes as many attacking runs as anyone - and always covers back for Hastings when he's caught upfield. I think you'll also find that he has more shots on target than any other midfielder bar Bazza. Plus he rarely gives the ball away. The trouble is he's not a winger! He didn't do the business out there in the first division (that's why County released him on a free!) it was only when Pele ingeniously decided to employ him as a midfield anchor man that he became a player.

So wouldn't it make sense to play McBain in Duncans position (where he has played his best football for us) - and stick Sutherland out on the left? Just a suggestion.  :024:

Not sure I agree with the McBain comments.

I thought he was one of our few decent players yesterday and has been pretty consistent all season. He's a very skillful player who I think, doesn't always have the confidence to show this. The trouble with Roy is he's so one footed he often tends to turn inside, rather than take someone on. But he does do a huge amount of work. As said, he's far more suited to the centre than he is being stuck out on the wing.

Duncan....I like Russell, and appreciate he does all the dirty work, for which he seldom gets praised. The problem is his passing. The numbers of games I've been to this season where any neutral would've thought his first name was 'fuxake' Duncan are plentiful. A player at this standard should at the very least be able to pass more than 20yds to a team mate.

i say giv zander sutherland a chance as he was our best player those last 15 minutes against dunfermline and i agree with the comments on rory mcallister i hav yet to see watever it is that brew and cc got so excited about its all very well playing well in the reserves but its a completly different ball game(pardon the pun) to playin top flight football

i also would like to see gary mcswegan givin a chance as he wasnt to bad aginst hibs and he has great pedigree