FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

As a new season looms

gordieict

So the new season is almost upon us, lets all look forward to it with anticipation.

We all need to show a bit of patience as the squad gets used to playing with each other. Lets not shout Butcher never should have got rid of Tokley at the first poor performance as remember there were plenty of poor performances with Tokely in the side last season.

The new players need a chance to bed in, the new squad needs a time to gel together lets give them the chance to do that.

Finally please no "should Butcher go" polls should a couple of early defeats happen.

Lets all believe!!!!

• Agree 3

:clapping:

Baring in mind all the shennigans thats gone on during the close season, now is the time, more than any other, to get behind the lads and Terry and Mo.

There's real potential here. King and Warren had glowing reports from their previous clubs. Raven and Draper have a history that sounds promising. Oswell could make his mark by continuing with his goals, as could Sutherland. I don't think Doran is quite as tricky as Hayes but he could be just as effective. And the jewel in the crown? Andrew Shinnie. Put his injury problems behind him and he may well be the SPL's surprise of the season.

I don't have too much concern over the likes of King or Hogg. Big injuries to get back from but not injury-prone. Tudur-Jones and Raven are far bigger worries. They've had too many shift works (2-weeks on-2 weeks off) over their career. The Gary Gillespie Syndrome. Maybe not their fault but do they have the body to play football?

That certainly does not mean that some of us will be silent if we feel that we are treading the same path as previous seasons. I am already concerned about his potential selection and tactics for Midden. As far as I am concerned I will say it as I see it - warts and all.

people! calm down lets be contructive here.

have to agree, that youve been very pesimistic. perhaps in an atempt to show that you are seeing both sides of the coin, but your first 2 you did were very good, cant say i agree with what youve said in this one but try not to be over critical, or to over think it. say it how you see it and try to be positive, it is a fans view after all.

Ross is merely saying what the majority of non happy clapping, rose tinted spectacle wearing, forever optimists are saying. I feel that the article is practically bang on and indeed provides a reality check. I actually feel that it did contain several positive statements, albeit more in a hopeful nature - which is again realistic. There is equally a drop of humour mixed in.

I had even found myself agreeing to a degree with the Jamboree rodent - As many of us have alluded to before last season was a feckin disaster area from start to finish. This pre season has not been anywhere as bad but we are starting off the campaign with a relatively untried squad, there are still doubts about the first eleven, tactics have been variable and we are really at risk with injury prone signings with no experience comparable to the SPL.

But the slate is clean and the murmurs is that the togetherness factor is back and we have players. Yearning to play for the shirt, with a blend of experience and yoof. The performances on the park however are the proof of the pudding and hopefully there will be more positives to ponder on and provide fresh hope this evening.

O2B

• Agree 2

2 out of 10??? What would you have given us for finishing below Hibs? If we'd won a single game more, we would have finished above Aberdeen. What if we hadn't finished FOURTEEN points above Dunfermline but still avoided relegation? What points then?

Two out of ten is for finishing a point or two above the relegated team. Not being nowhere near relegation and competing with the much bigger financed Hibs and Dons is worth more than that.

And why, if season tickets being down is for not having players that have been here for the last ten years, not playing attractive football and relying on players coming for a few peanuts more, have Hibs and Aberdeen not crashed? They were no better than us last season and Hibs haven't looked inspiring for this either.

• Agree 1

Naevity? really? Aberdeen have the third biggest budget in the SPL, Hibs have the sixth. We have the tenth. Fact. If we there therefore finish above or near them we are doing well. Fact. We have signed untried but potentially useful players this year, who will hopefully fill the same untried, potentially useful and distinctly unhighland shoes as Rooney, Hayes, Rankin and those others that we mind sae fondly. Naeve?Not really. The boys right.

• Agree 1

NAIEVE: Showing or characterized by a lack of sophistication and critical judgment.

As ICTChris succinctly pointed out - we were pissh last season. The points apply to the standard of performance on the park and have feck all to do with budgets and league position. If we had sneaked in front of Aberdire we would have deserved a 3 maximum. The games after the split were ABYSMAL.

But hey ho - who gives a feck as we were a feckin EIGHT at Midden yesterday - and yesterday is more important than yesteryear. :fingers:

• Agree 1

Naevity? really? Aberdeen have the third biggest budget in the SPL, Hibs have the sixth. We have the tenth.

Any figures for this? Not doubting you but it would make interesting reading.

Well....as far as im concerend, its a clean slate and a fresh start for ICTFC. I will give the lads time to bed in etc. i have been liking the reports i have been reading the last few games, and heres hoping this is the shape of things to come.

i for one am not a subscriber to this Top 6 talk......No 1 priority is to survive. Any thing else is a bonus. Much Kudos will go to the team IF we can do that, but hopefully, it will be done with at least a modicum of flair. I will be soooo happy if we can pull that off.

But....im in agreement with IHE......if we start to emulate last season...yup...im going to be spouting off....coz at the end of the day...i have ICT's best intentions at heart....and i believe in straight talking, even if it is painfull to endure

Edited by SMEE

Well-written article and it's his opinions so he is entitled to them . However, my opinion is that a 2 rating out of ten, or even the hint of a 1, is too low--C'mon, that's just hitting below the belt for effect.

I asked C.B. to send me an Oxford English Dixshonary and, yes, he's right---Naive is not spelt naieve....shoot! :wink:

Thank goodness none of us are perfect...........except the Pimple, of course.