FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Crowds

HighlandCop

because it's £21 for an adult and £16 concession ( north stand). far too expensive. there is more than one game in town and football needs to fight others for their hard earned cash. if i did'nt have my season tickets there is no way i would have shelled out 2x21 and 1x16.

£58 to watch a game of football, plus over priced coffee, pies , juice, sweets etc,etc.

oh forgot after paying that price you get to freeze your nuts off for 90 minutes.

Why was the crowd so low today?

Money doesnt go as far these days, which is a pity because the ones that stay away are missing out on the best football on show in ages and its not just from one player, its the whole team that play well together.

If it comes down to putting food on the table and paying the bills or football, the former has to take priority. On saying that it would be interesting to see what happens during a good cup run.

Think the neutrals may be spending their money over the bridge. This will probably be temporary as the have novelty value at the moment. Have to agree disappointing crowd today especially with us being on a good run!

Think the neutrals may be spending their money over the bridge. This will probably be temporary as the have novelty value at the moment. Have to agree disappointing crowd today especially with us being on a good run!

They have to much money if they are spending it in Dingwall!

• Agree 1

I thought the crowd would be a good bit higher today. Not only are we playing well but so are St Johnstone and this had every prospect of being a really open game of football between 2 in-form sides who like to play a passing game. It was the sort of game which I would have thought would attract folk who are only going to attend a few games. I wonder why more of those who turned up for the County game and who must have enjoyed it decided not to come today.

The price of attending games is clearly an issue for many folk but it does not explain the overall picture. The recent survey showed that it was cheaper to watch football at TCS than just about anywhere in the UK and yet crowds are holding up very well South of the Border where prices are much higher. We need word to get round that we are playing some really good stuff at the moment and perhaps more folk will feel it is good value.

I think using cost as an excuse is to simplistic,

In many ways we have improved things on the park this year, however as a Match Day experience we are really poor. In effect we turn up, listen to a tinny sound system play a few tunes watch a game of football then go home.

This is not really meant as a critism, however I accept that in effect it is, but what effort is made to interact with the crowd, provide some link between the club and the crowd, etc.

At least when Don had control of the mic there was an attempt to get closer to the crowd and interact. At the moment the club don't seem interested in this aspect or attempting to give an overall entertainment experience.

Having attended numerous games, both football and other sports, in various parts of the world, we seem to offer the least. Even simple thinks such as having a decent sound system helps build up the atmosphere. It also does not cost money for someone to stand and interact with the crowd.

I think using cost as an excuse is to simplistic,

In many ways we have improved things on the park this year, however as a Match Day experience we are really poor. In effect we turn up, listen to a tinny sound system play a few tunes watch a game of football then go home.

This is not really meant as a critism, however I accept that in effect it is, but what effort is made to interact with the crowd, provide some link between the club and the crowd, etc.

At least when Don had control of the mic there was an attempt to get closer to the crowd and interact. At the moment the club don't seem interested in this aspect or attempting to give an overall entertainment experience.

Having attended numerous games, both football and other sports, in various parts of the world, we seem to offer the least. Even simple thinks such as having a decent sound system helps build up the atmosphere. It also does not cost money for someone to stand and interact with the crowd.

To be fair I don't think the rest of the SPL does this very well either. The announcer did well at the derby game playing songs requested by the fans. I do know what you mean tho and it was much better when Don did the on the pitch thing.

they were talking about it on bbc sportsound last night that clubs should drop there prices i see st mirren got a good price list in place

Adult – £20

OAP/Student – £10

Child (Under 18) – £10

Child (Under 12) – £5

Unemployed – £10**

Wheelchair User – £10#

Carer – £10

they is one thing on the above list caley thistle do not do

they were talking about it on bbc sportsound last night that clubs should drop there prices i see st mirren got a good price list in place

Adult – £20

OAP/Student – £10

Child (Under 18) – £10

Child (Under 12) – £5

Unemployed – £10**

Wheelchair User – £10#

Carer – £10

they is one thing on the above list caley thistle do not do

We were! kids were getting in free if they had a courier voucher and were in fancy dress!

Football is over priced...its a simple as that. For example.....i could take a family of 4 ice skating for 2 and a half hours AND get a few quid change for what it would cost me to get into the North Stand to watch a game.

I work a lot in a particular housing scheme in Inverness and I have never been aware of any inter action by the club with the community. Engagement is key not just with the kids but with the adults as well. The club really have to identify themselves and pro-actively make an effort to come along side local communities and not just expect people to come along to a game on a Saturday - nowadays that just does not work. I agree that there are serious issues re admission charges; the SPL pricing is no attraction and is excluding many people from the game they love. Just my opinion for what's it worth, but I believe the ICT board really need to look as to how they can pragmatically and consistently engage with the people in the local communities and not for them just to read about the club in the Courier on a Friday and maybe see an advertisement for a forthcoming match. Yes, the club are doing some coaching with kids and maybe odd visits to schools like all clubs do, that would be expected; but to boast crowds the club really need to do so much more to interconnect with the ordinary people of the "town" and that will take a lot of hard work.

• Agree 1

ICT have one of the busiest and most successful Community Departments in Scotland and our guys are out doing school visits etc most days (including weekends).

A survey was done a little while back that compared community effort by clubs and ICT stood out massively in terms of what they were achieving from the budgets available. Despite that I am sure they would love to be doing more....but that would involve spending more and they just don't have it.

You talk about the club doing more to "interconnect with the ordinary people of the town".....how about the "ordinary people of the town" stop expecting everything handed to them on a plate and at least try and meet the club half way on stuff.

It does my napper in every time I see one of these threads where it's "WE WANT, WE WANT, WE WANT" or "This is so vitally important"....aye, vitally important until someone asks people to volunteer a bit of time or whatever and then silence and nobody to be seen.

I'm not religious, but the sentiments of the saying "The Lord helps those who help themselves" I agree with entirely.

Inverness has a more successful football team than it deserves based on what they city gives back.....if people want more/better then they need to play their part in providing the help and resources to make that happen.

• Agree 5

I remember when we were in the Third Division when we moved from Telford Street, we were pulling huge crowds - consistently around the 3,000 mark. It is obviously more expensive now than it was 15 or so years ago but I would we expecting a much greater attendance. What is everyone doing in Inverness at 3pm on a Saturday afternoon? I must admit, I am not going to many home games these days as I'm down in Glasgow but I woud have thought the next generation would be stepping up and supporting the club.

CaleyD, I agree with a great many of your posts, which more often than not show good sense so I am surprised at this attack on Highland Cop. This person appears to be in a position of hands on contact in his/her domain yet is not aware of any real interconnection between the Club and that domain, which means that somehow the great work you talk of is not getting through to that particular population. Food for thought dont you think? perhaps a bit of liaison between both parties could well be enlightening.

I fully understand your frustrations having done a great deal of voluntary work in my young to middleaged years and realise just what you are saying but perhaps the saying you quoted could have a few words added i. e. But the lord may need a little bit of help himself.

Carry on the good work but always keep an open mind.

• Agree 1

You talk about the club doing more to "interconnect with the ordinary people of the town".....how about the "ordinary people of the town" stop expecting everything handed to them on a plate and at least try and meet the club half way on stuff.

ICT NEED the people of Inverness more than the people need the team. Its up to the club to get out there and drum up interest IMHO

I remember when we were in the Third Division when we moved from Telford Street, we were pulling huge crowds - consistently around the 3,000 mark. It is obviously more expensive now than it was 15 or so years ago but I would we expecting a much greater attendance.

This is a little bit of an exaggeration (as nostalgic accounts of football crowds from days gone by tend to be!) but also a little bit "beside the point".

The official opening of the Caledonian Stadium v Albion Rovers in November 1996 attracted 3734 while the second game was a the first home Highland derby which had 4562 while the second one in March had 5525. There were also 3000 odd for the winning of promotion and of the Third Division title and around 4000 had to suffer that abysmal performance v Brechin before for trophy presentation in April. So yes, by the very nature of a first season in a new ground with Highland derbies and in that unique situation, crowds were enhanced.

But if you look at the bread and butter games of that same period, crowds here were far more commonly on or below 2000. Now even this was great compared with Telford Street, but even this was somewhat helped by the large ongoing novelty of the new ground.

Sooner or later, though, the novelty factors would fade away and I am sure that longer standing fans will also remember the years in the First Division where home crowds were typically around 1800-1900.

So I really don't think that the example cited is either numerically accurate or represents a suitably comparable context.

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Agree 1

My post was not intended to be a pop at HighlandCop or anyone specific. It's just that every time we get a thread like this we get 1001 comments/statements from people saying that the club should be doing this, that and the next thing...and never any "I would like to help the club do......"

The club can't do everything and they can't be everywhere and everything to everyone....certainly not with the resources they have.

Anything I say from here on will just be the same as I've said a hundred times before, so I'll not waste my time and yours.

It's quite simple really, if the fans want it, if the community wants it and if the city wants it...then they have to do their bit to help make it happen.

• Agree 2

It's quite simple really, if the fans want it, if the community wants it and if the city wants it...then they have to do their bit to help make it happen.

Thats exactly where the problem lyes. The overwhelming majority of People just dont care. Why is that? I think price is the biggest bugbear

Football is over priced...its a simple as that. For example.....i could take a family of 4 ice skating for 2 and a half hours AND get a few quid change for what it would cost me to get into the North Stand to watch a game.

But you're not comparing like with like. When you watch an SPL match you are watching the top footballers in the country. If you were to watch the top performers in the country in music, drama or comedy etc you would be paying at least as much. If you are go skating you are entertaining yourself. Skating's an expensive way to entertain yourself - you can kick a ball around the Bught for free!