Shane Subberland

Yngwie

I believe Shane has made 56 appearances off the bench for us - is this an ICT record?

More importantly, is that his destiny here, to be a squad player and sub at best? Hailed somewhat bafflingly by Terry at the start of the season as the ideal replacement for Jonny Hayes, it clearly hasn't worked out that way.

He's 22 now, and out of contract in a few months time. Would you offer him an extension? And would he want one, or would he fare better elsewhere, perhaps dropping a level or two in the hope of getting regular games or getting played as a striker?

I think it was against Aberdeen he came on as a striker and IMO did very well, probably because that's his position.  How Butcher though thinks he's a winger beggar's belief!

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 3

IMO Shane is a tough player to categorize into a position. His heading, strength, shooting and (for the most part) dribbling are all pretty good however his touch and hold up play let him down. If he could improve his hold up play then he would turn out to be a good target man forward however at the moment i think he is more suited to being a winger.

I remember his goal against Motherwell at home (a couple of seasons ago IIRC) when he was playing on the right wing, he beat a couple of players out wide, drifted in and unleashed an unstoppable shot past the Motherwell keeper. That sort of play led me to think that coming in off the wing was his strongest asset, unfortunately due to other players doing better in his position and showing more consistency Shane has been consigned to being a bit part player. I think given a prolonged run in the team or indeed any team then he could refine his skills and become a good SPL player, its just unfortunate here at the moment that we dont have many back up strikers to Billy McKay so we cant loan him out to get playing time and also the form of McKay/Shinnie et al is keeping him out

Fer fecks sake he is a better Rory McAllister - but he is OBVIOUSLY a centre forward at SPL level. And it looks like he has fallen out of grace with our glorious leader who would apparently favour toung untested loanees. Shane will probably be at Hellgin next season.

Hold on, up front with McKay? Who do you then get shot of? Foran? Doran? Shinnie?Ross? IMVHO Shane is not the equal of any of these players either skillfully or tactically and is in what is probably the best position he can expect in this squad. I'm not being harsh here, he's a lovely lad with considerable ability but what's in front of him is probably impossible for him to overtake.

Not as a feckin substitute it is not and also not against certain teams. Roberts is another example. I am still unsure as to whether Shane has the ability to be a centre forward but I would love to see him given a chance to see - he certainly ain't a winger. Ditto for Rastamouse.