FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Butcher offski?

Pele_Is_God

Mo MUST be staying because the club have just sent an email this afternoon saying that he'll be hosting ICT's Christmas Quiz night!

But then it also says "Team of 4: £20" which clearly anticipates Hibs inevitable January signing raid.

And Terry is Santa.

ICT_Christmas_Quiz_2013_mailing.jpg

• Agree 1

If he goes to Hibs then it can only be for the money .....

He has a job to do here, one that he has proclaimed unfinished on numerous occasions. Going to another SPFL club, a club that has routinely performed below Caley Thistle in recent seasons, but which does have the potential to (again) be one of the big boys does not present the same challenge IMHO ... and comes with a lot more pitfalls.

At least 3 ICT managers have moved with the lure of a 'bigger' club and more money but found the grass was not greener ..... look up Steve Paterson, John Robertson, or Craig Brewster's (1st time around) post ICT managerial careers as reference ... or he could look up his own career post-Motherwell until he landed at the TCS. Does he really want to give up being King in his own Castle who pretty much has a job for life on his own terms and revert to being just another temporary solution until things go a little sour? I think (and hope) he has more sense than that.

I could understand the pull of the Championship or the Premiership (if offered), but another SPFL club ... not so much.

Do the right thing Terry. Stay at ICT and cement your status as a club legend by guiding us to our highest ever finish (again), Europe, and a national Cup.

I disagree that if he went it would only be for the money.

No doubt his personal salary would be enhanced but he would also have a club to which he would be able to attract players of a higher standard  due to the profile of the club, it's location and the fact that he could offer a player at least twice what we could.

On top of that, whilst there is no doubt that Hibs have been in the doldrums for years if not decades, if he can turn them around they have the potential to attract regular home crowds in excess of 15,000 whereas I doubt we will ever have a core of more than 4,000 no matter how successful we become.

It would certainly be a much bigger risk than remaining at the TCS but I can see reasons why he may well be tempted to take that risk.

I think the BBC has got it all wong because I am told Chinese State Television has been broadcasting Terry saying he has agreed tactics for the game on Saturday but is not telling anyone.

61 year old Rick Chung, speaking exclusively from his Wok in Paisley Town, said he was actually confuscius by the position because he no speak any lingo proper. He felt Hibs were actually dim sums.

Reporter Dewar, meantime is looking a bit wong kei after peking through the window at Easter Road and concluding that their butcher had agreed terms. Kenny Cameron certainly believes she has got it ho lee wong. Mr Cameron indicated that Miss Dewar was wisky in her report.

Let's hope Terry is not gung ho and Billy 'I'm going to break my peking scoring duck this Saturday in Leith' Mackay rises above this episode in our history.  

• Agree 4

TB has said nothing

apart from this .... http://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/Sport/Football/Butcher-denies-link-to-Hibs-04112013.htm

• Our chairman says no approach. I know and trust our chairman so dont expect him to lie (quite apart from the refreshing fact that he doesnt have a good poker face for lies anyway!)

• ICT have issued a statement to the same effect and condemned the BBC story out of hand in what is quite strong language where you normally have to be quite 'diplomatic'.

• Courier reporting Butcher has not spoken to Hibs and denies "terms agreed". story in tomorrow's paper

• STV reporting that ICT will refuse permission

• Hibs saying nothing

There are a few more twists and turns to come I am sure but ultimately I can see one of three scenarios happening ....

• Butcher will stay on a nice extended contract with extra cash for him, Malpas and Marsella. Interest from another club will always restart stalled salary negotiations !!! Kenny - if this happens, be careful not to use the same invisible ink pen that Steve Paterson and Duncan Shearer used to sign their bumper contracts a few years ago .... and dont let any of them near Tam Cowan.

• Butcher will go to Hibs and we will speculate/argue and get very vocal and nasty about how terms could be agreed before permission was given? who lied? Was this a case of shady agents or representatives agreeing terms so the principles could have plausible deniability? TB will become a pariah despite all the excellent work he has done at ICT.

• The Hibs interest (and media gullibility) is being used as a 'shop window' for other positions, perhaps Middlesborough?

I would be comfortable with #1. I would wish him all the best if #3 happened, but #2 which seems most likely would be very hard to take. He's worked wonders up here, and should be applauded for all he has done ...... but much like Pele making a big deal over turning own Dundee Utd, signing a new ICT contract and ending up at Aberdeen a week later, this would leave a very bad taste in the mouth !!!

I prefer #2. It means we get to sing the Diego Maradona song on Saturday.

• Agree 1

Just noticed that the BBC's Terry Butcher article was last updated at 15:11 to add the ICT statement...which was issued at 17:28!!!

attachicon.gifUntitled-3.jpg

But still standing by their original statement.

All depends on the outcome of the discussions between Terry and Kenny Cameron tomorrow - I truly hope he signs a new deal!

Edited by ICTRoughi
  • Agree 1

Interesting take in the Telegraph

"The former England captain would appear to be a sound choice. It is understood that he is aware of the terms on offer and finds them to his liking, although there has been no official contact between the clubs".

Does this mean that he has not spoken to the club but is aware of what the terms are and that Hibs are aware that he likes the terms?  That would mean Butcher was being truthful when he told Kenny Cameron that he has not spoken to Hibs.  Truthful maybe, but rather economical with the truth.

I hope this is not how it is because it would reflect very badly on Butcher.  Whatever the outcome, it is not good.

Edited by DoofersDad
  • Agree 1

Don't think Butcher realises what he's getting himself into? Alex Miller got Hibs their first cup in almost 20 years and the fans hounded him out. Not because of his negative football...... No! because of his association with a certain Glasgow club! Butch I wish you all the best, don't be surprised when they turn on you. It's not personal it's history! 

• Agree 1

We were quite open about the Barnsley approach so I wouldn't have thought that would change for Hibs if they had made a formal approach for Butcher.

Still, I've readied my "Butcher wasnt that good" lines if he does move in a typically bitter football fan style.

Apologies for the double post but here are some quotes from Butcher from the Inverness Courier:

"Definitely not," was Butcher’s reply when asked if he had agreed personal terms with Hibs.

"I’ve not heard anything and the club has not heard anything. There’s no foundation in it at all.

"From my point of view, it is business as usual.

"I heard reports yesterday (Sunday) that I was heading up and down the A9, and things like that, but I was tucked away in the house enjoying a nice glass of wine!

"I’m very happy here. It’s speculation and I don’t want to answer questions when it’s all ifs, buts and maybes. We’re doing fine here."

:laugh:

Does this mean that he has not spoken to the club but is aware of what the terms are and that Hibs are aware that he likes the terms?  That would mean Butcher was being truthful when he told Kenny Cameron that he has not spoken to Hibs.  Truthful maybe, but rather economical with the truth.

I'm pretty sure that is exactly the state of play. It's all part of the "sounding out" process that happens more often than not, but I'm also sure that Terry would be completely open with Kenny as to the origin of the story, although he wouldn't actually need to because Kenny ain't naive.

The really important question is whether this thread is going to become longer than the 'Butcher to Barnsley' thread.

Maybe a mod could clarify something for me please, regarding the number of 'views' a thread gets? Are these unique views, or as I assume, total number of 'hits'? 

For example, I was on this thread at least 4 times yesterday - would that register as 4 views or would my IP address be recognised as having visited previously, therefore counting as just one view?

This thread will pass the significant 10,000 views before too long! But still well short of the 40,000+ of the 'Butcher to Barnsley' thread...plenty of time yet!

The threads views stat = total hits, not unique ones. The site does though record unique visitors as well. I saw something which showed traffic yesterday (both views and unique visitors) was, unsurprisingly, massively higher than usual.

• Agree 1

Perhaps I am reading it with my pessimist glasses on but I feel Butcher is not ruling Hibs out, quotes such as "I don't want to want to answer questions if its all if's buts and maybes" . Perhaps he is just using this all as a tool for contract negotiations but I will be glad when that new contract is signed and this thread goes the dame way as the Barnsley one.

Manager Terry Butcher is taking training with the team as usual today in INVERNESS

All those reports on Hibs.net that that a Hibs player's ,second cousins ,best friends Auntie had told him there would be a press conference at Easter Road today to unveil Butcher and Malpas are wrong !

• Agree 1

I think The Edinburgh Evening news website publish the "agreed terms" story 1st. And as has often been the case the BBC has lifted the story straight from there. (That or the Scotsman but then they are part of the same newspaper group). It's not the 1st time that this has happened. Perhaps the EN is the reliable source. Though I'd be surprised at that as they often seem to get it wrong.

It all makes sense now!

County draw Hibs in the Cup. BBC push for Butcher to go to Hibs knowing that the draw is rigged and that he will have to face his former derby rivals soon into his new career in Leith. Means the BBC gets to show the County v Hibs Cup game.

#Logic