FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Rich owner/backer?

Guest Mahonio

Guest Mahonio

I'd like to get your thoughts and opinions on if you'd like us to have a rich owner of backers?

I am a bit annoyed when I see good players go to other clubs yet we have to pluck up free agents. Now, I'm not talking about an owner who'd ruin us in a few years down the line like Romanov did to Hearts, I'm talking someone who'd stick with us, like Roy McGregor (I hear he has a lot of money).

I reckon Hughes and Latapy would use money wisely tbh, there is only so many free agents that we can get in, especially in Jan as clubs don't release players, hence why we haven't signed anyone yet.

Try not to slate me for this opinion lol.

I'd like to get your thoughts and opinions on if you'd like us to have a rich owner of backers?

I am a bit annoyed when I see good players go to other clubs yet we have to pluck up free agents. Now, I'm not talking about an owner who'd ruin us in a few years down the line like Romanov did to Hearts, I'm talking someone who'd stick with us, like Roy McGregor (I hear he has a lot of money).

I reckon Hughes and Latapy would use money wisely tbh, there is only so many free agents that we can get in, especially in Jan as clubs don't release players, hence why we haven't signed anyone yet.

Try not to slate me for this opinion lol.

Two words No Thanks!

You never know, some rich Arabian might pop up and decide to buy us for his son to take control of and make ICT into something similar to Manchester City. 

In all seriousness though, I can understand the frustrations from the OP of not signing 'Name' players but then on the other hand I find it so much more refreshing that we stand by the morals and play the local lads like Nick Ross, Liam Polworth and latest Ryan Christie. 

OTB can do what they like to buy themselves back up the table but at least by living within our means we are not risking our top flight status. I think what last season went on to prove is that you don't need a high profile team to be successful. 

You never know, some rich Arabian might pop up and decide to buy us for his son to take control of and make ICT into something similar to Manchester City. 

In all seriousness though, I can understand the frustrations from the OP of not signing 'Name' players but then on the other hand I find it so much more refreshing that we stand by the morals and play the local lads like Nick Ross, Liam Polworth and latest Ryan Christie. 

OTB can do what they like to buy themselves back up the table but at least by living within our means we are not risking our top flight status. I think what last season went on to prove is that you don't need a high profile team to be successful.

Also OTB is living on debt. Roy Macgregor doesn't give all the money for free despite what some on here seem to think.

I dont' think MacGregor is like Romanov, he doesn't just hand over money.  Hearts ran at a huge loss for the whole Romanov era and relied on cash transfers from Vlad's companies.  I'd be amazed if County operate in the same way.

All of the 'rich' owners in Scottish football have proved a disaster - none of them are actually rich and just allow clubs to run up unsustainable debt. 

on a slight tangent from this...hypothetical for you guys on here :-

euro millions jackpot of say 50-60 million pounds comes your way....... would you donate some to the club and how much ? would you attach strings?

personally I would happily pay 5 million to the club on the understanding I could have a family seat for life/100 years ( ie 2 tickets to pass down) and complimentary access to food drink at half time

euro millions jackpot of say 50-60 million pounds comes your way....... would you donate some to the club and how much ? would you attach strings?

personally I would happily pay 5 million to the club on the understanding I could have a family seat for life/100 years ( ie 2 tickets to pass down) and complimentary access to food drink at half time

If you won 50-60 Million would you be that worried about free food and drink   :lol:  :lol:

Edited by gordieict
  • Agree 1

I thought we had one. Did he not take over around 2000? Mr Global Highland is very much a sugar daddy who puts his money where his mouth is but we unfortunately only have someone who has no interest in football just the land we sit on. Time he stepped down and let Mr Orion in, who I believe has now withdrawn sponsorship for next year

I think the board are doing a pretty good job balancing the books as it is, even if they got 1M handed to them, I very much doubt it would be blown on wages, even being high up the table didn't  draw in a bigger crowd and increase profits. In the long term  our team getting us to a cup final or even winning a cup final will probably have a higher long term value than a short term  1M.

If I struck it rich I would probably want to spend it on improved facilities for the team and fans than wages and probably set up a trust fund  like the late Eddie Thompson did for DDU. I also wished that he could have seen his club win their cup final before he passed away.

Ooo I dream of this, ...a little bit on transfers, and a bit more to turn the stadium into a snazzy little 10,000 seater with wrap-around stands (leaving the main stand alone) with a futuristic titanium coloured roof and with super smart  toilets, food lounges and other facilities...yes I dream alot, and of course would need to buy a flat in the 'Ness

I think the board are doing a pretty good job balancing the books as it is, even if they got 1M handed to them, I very much doubt it would be blown on wages, even being high up the table didn't  draw in a bigger crowd and increase profits. In the long term  our team getting us to a cup final or even winning a cup final will probably have a higher long term value than a short term  1M.

If I struck it rich I would probably want to spend it on improved facilities for the team and fans than wages and probably set up a trust fund  like the late Eddie Thompson did for DDU. I also wished that he could have seen his club win their cup final before he passed away.

Dundee Utd ran up big debts under Eddie Thompson.