FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Caff - "Not up to it"

RiG

There seems to be a consensus amongst some ICT fans that if Dods leaves then Caff is not the man to step in a fill his shoes. Is there a particular reason for this?

Stuart has barely had any chances this season and any time he has played he has done pretty well IMO so I can't see why he is suddenly deemed not good enough to come back into the team.

Thoughts?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't seen enough of Caff to make an honest decision on this but.....

When Dods goes we're not just losing a good guy and a pretty decent defender, we're losing a guy that's never given us less than 100% and has become an obvious choice for the captain's armband....

I can't think of anyone else leaving who would be more sorely missed.

Caff is more than 'up to it'.

He might not have the leadership qualities of Dods, but he's as good a central defender. People say he doesn't have the physique....well, it's never been a problem for him before. If anything, Caffs ability to read the game, his positioning etc is far better than any of our defenders.

And a big plus is he's our only defender who can fecking pass a ball!!

I've no worries about Caff stepping in.

Once he gets a few games under his belt I'm sure he'll be fine. He needs a steady run of games to get back into the swing of things

There was a time when a lot of fans didn't think Dods was up to it  :004:

I am pleased to see fans have faith in Caff, Caff and Munro had a great partnership, Munro did the Dodds role Caff tidied up, I think once they get back together it will not take long to rebuild the understanding.

The one thing I don't understand, where as Brown and Dargo have kept everyone informed quite rightly about what they are doing regarding talks Dodds seems to have totally keep CC in the dark, it would seem we knew about DU at the same time as Charlie did, that cannot be right.

If this is the case I think Dodds should be on the bench now until he leaves. :008: :008:

Based on what I have seen of Caff in the SPL, it pains me to say that I think we would concede more goals with him than we do with Dods. Perhaps Caff just doesn't have the presence or strength needed in a league where the players tend to be bigger than in Div 1?

However, he has not had an extended run in the team at this level and has been played out of position a few times, so if given the chance he may well step up to the mark. I really hope so, he has been a great servant, and has more pace and general footballing ability than our other central defenders.

I just don't know if those are the skills that are needed to do the job these days........

I have always been of the opion the Caff is an extremley competent defender who reads the game very well and if not for a poor ref would never have lost his place in the team.

I am no doubt, however, that he may need a few games back in the first team to be "up to speed"

Remember Dods was signed as cover for Caff, turned out he was better than Caff!  CC will be signing a player as cover for Caff/Granty, Caff was looking rusty last time i saw him play, which is understandable, bearing in mind the ammount of SPL games he has played.

Sure i think he will get a chance but at this level he will have to adjust very quickly.

Guest Arab4Ever

I am pleased to see fans have faith in Caff, Caff and Munro had a great partnership, Munro did the Dodds role Caff tidied up, I think once they get back together it will not take long to rebuild the understanding.

The one thing I don't understand, where as Brown and Dargo have kept everyone informed quite rightly about what they are doing regarding talks Dodds seems to have totally keep CC in the dark, it would seem we knew about DU at the same time as Charlie did, that cannot be right.

If this is the case I think Dodds should be on the bench now until he leaves. :008: :008:

CC knows fine well Dods wants away as he spent last summer trying to come here. There is nothing officialy signed yet between Utd and Dods but Levein says there is a verbal agreement in place and Dods should be signing this week on a pre contract.

Guest Get_off_the_park_Wyness!

"If anything, Caffs ability to read the game, his positioning etc is far better than any of our defenders. "

What have you been smoking???!!!  :017: :017: :017:

He couldn't mark a golf card. I'm not saying he's a bad player, far from it - he was doing well for us in Div 1 that he was actually our outstanding player for a while, I remember him being linked to Hibs. He's a good footballer, and he wins most of the challenges he goes for - but his tactical game is his weak point.

I hope he can prove me wrong but IMO we need a replacement for Dods... Caff maybe a better football player than Dod's but if he can't head the ball then we are going to leek goals.. especially when almost every team now plays with a 6ft something striker.. Nish, Sutton, Hamilton, Miller, Killen, Vennogor of Humpadink etc.  Maybe if we were in a league where teams play football Caff would show his quality but unfortunately it will come down to long ball and if we don't have a "hoofer" at the back for set pieces and long balls we'll struggle

Guest Get_off_the_park_Wyness!

" if he can't head the ball then we are going to leek goals.. especially when almost every team now plays with a 6ft something striker.. Nish, Sutton, Hamilton, Miller, Killen, Vennogor of Humpadink etc.  "

A return to the bad old days BM (before Mann) when every diddy team in the second division could give us a doing with the long ball game, especially with Les Fridge in goals.  :024:

If Dods goes then we need another defender regardless. Whether that is a replacement or cover for Munro / Caff remains to be seen.

Caff has not had much of a chance at a run out in the first team because Dods and Munro have been excellent, as has Hastings and even though Tokely is getting less praise this season, Caff is no right back. [If Proctor is being released, maybe we should take him back ? He looked decent enough and seemed to keep Rosscoe on top of his game by pushing for a starting spot]

He maybe didnt do 'magnificently' when pushed into first team action, but then again, would you do well when you hadnt had a first team game in several months ? No, didnt think so. Come the end of the season, Caff will hopefully be there fighting for his place and if he is good enough, he will prove to Charlie that he deserves it ... if not, then he wont. simple as that. We shouldnt write him off just yet !!

I'm all in favour of Caff getting the slot and I have every confidence in him coming up to snuff pretty quickly once he gets match sharpness back, he's more adept at starting moves from defense than our current lineup who prefer the big hoof route, just so long as he doesn't try to be too fancy though - theres nothing wrong with nearly putting the ball into the firth when necessary. We will need someone as defensive backup though, preferably someone young with potential - is there anyone coming through the ranks in-house?

I'm all in favour of Caff getting the slot and I have every confidence in him coming up to snuff pretty quickly once he gets match sharpness back, he's more adept at starting moves from defense than our current lineup who prefer the big hoof route, just so long as he doesn't try to be too fancy though - theres nothing wrong with nearly putting the ball into the firth when necessary. We will need someone as defensive backup though, preferably someone young with potential - is there anyone coming through the ranks in-house?

I've not managed to see him yet but I've heard good things regarding Guy Kerr

Perhaps it is two right backs we need.

If Rosco is restricted in his ability to get up and down the park because of his Gilmour's Groin (or whatever injury he is carrying) he could be the big brave beefcake that we need to stand up to the belligerent bullies that would blight us.

Perhaps it is two right backs we need.

If Rosco is restricted in his ability to get up and down the park because of his Gilmour's Groin (or whatever injury he is carrying) he could be the big brave beefcake that we need to stand up to the belligerent bullies that would blight us.

With Ross in the middle of the park we could then have a passer at right back.

I do think that Stuart does get caught for concentration and is susceptible to get drawn further upfield at crucial times.

Blackie wins a lot of headers despite his size so why is this such an issue for Caff? He never had much of a problem when he came up against the giant that was Ricardo Fuller. He has won plenty of headers in his time including in the long ball reliant first division against teams like Clyde.

Blackie wins a lot of headers despite his size so why is this such an issue for Caff? He never had much of a problem when he came up against the giant that was Ricardo Fuller. He has won plenty of headers in his time including in the long ball reliant first division against teams like Clyde.

He's been caught out with headers evertime I've seen him play at centre half, he can play as much football as he wants but defenders are on the team sheet to primarily defend.  You never know, now that Dods is out the squad Munro might become the more dominant defender and Caff can pick up the pieces.  If any player deserves a break in the first team it is Caff but I'm not sure he's 'the mann for the job' :016:

Guest Suspicious Mind

I'm very nervous at the prospect of Caff and Granty being our starting centre back partnership.

Our defensive strength has very much been centred round two good old fashioned physical stoppers so we are not replacing like with like. Caff undoubtedly has much better ball skills but this is not what we rely on to date.

If we can't bring in another CB perhaps we could use Hastings physical presence in the middle with Granty (appreciate they are both left sided but don't see a problem) and look for further cover at full back. Should be easier to find that a replacement for the Machine.

Caff will continue to be an important part of the squad but as a starting CB, not for me.

Right on cue Harry, here I am :003:

Caff has filled in when required and did a good job at Tynecastle last year. He may not have the same presence as Dodsy but we have to try him out first and see if he gets up to speed, if not, he will always be the 'back up man'

If not first choice, decent squad player to have in your team.