FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Games after split - next argument with SPFL!

PerfICT

Anyone noticed that there'll be the usual stramash regarding post-split fixtures if St J end up in 6th?

Based on the season so far, we'd be due to play Celtic, Aberdeen, Dundee United and St J at home, with only Motherwell away. However, one of the home matches will be switched to being away - so which will it be?

From a financial perspective, we'd probably want to play Celtic, Aberdeen and Dundee United at home and switch the st J game, but from a league position perspective, I wonder whether it would be better to "sacrifice" the Celtic game? Thoughts?

Not that we have any say in this; you can be sure that the ultimate decision will be to our detriment.

There will always be an imbalance with the fixtures with the current set-up. Even getting to the split at 33 games means half the teams have more home games than away fixtures. And the scenario of playing a team 3 times at home and just once away does happen!

I'd prefer to see the split after 22 games with a further 10 games post-split. That ensures equal home-and-away games against clubs for all.

Or even better, I'd like for the 'top tier' to be a 16 team, 32 game league - but that's a whole different can of worms, and the SPFL can never please everybody.

However, I'm really pleased about the implementation of the beginnings of a pyramid system, from next season and also the 'Premiership' play-off spot in place now.

With Hearts effectively doomed from the off, there would've been so many dead-games in the bottom half of the table this season but instead, teams like County, Killie, St. Mirren, Partick and even Hibs have a lot to play for over the next few weeks.

Edited by Sneckboy
  • Agree 1

There will always be an imbalance with the fixtures with the current set-up. Even getting to the split at 33 games means half the teams have more home games than away fixtures. And the scenario of playing a team 3 times at home and just once away does happen!

I'd prefer to see the split after 22 games with a further 10 games post-split. That ensures equal home-and-away games against clubs for all.

Or even better, I'd like for the 'top tier' to be a 16 team, 32 game league - but that's a whole different can of worms, and the SPFL can never please everybody.

However, I'm really pleased about the implementation of the beginnings of a pyramid system, from next season and also the 'Premiership' play-off spot in place now.

With Hearts effectively doomed from the off, there would've been so many dead-games in the bottom half of the table this season but instead, teams like County, Killie, St. Mirren, Partick and even Hibs have a lot to play for over the next few weeks.

I think the main reservation for clubs over a 16 team league is that it would only offer 30 games which is 8 games of lost gates. However perhaps 16 teams. Play each other twice to 30. Then have a play off finals to determine Europe and relegation in a home/away knock out format. Need many more teams going up and down though. Or the potential for it.

Anyone noticed that there'll be the usual stramash regarding post-split fixtures if St J end up in 6th?

Based on the season so far, we'd be due to play Celtic, Aberdeen, Dundee United and St J at home, with only Motherwell away. However, one of the home matches will be switched to being away - so which will it be?

From a financial perspective, we'd probably want to play Celtic, Aberdeen and Dundee United at home and switch the st J game, but from a league position perspective, I wonder whether it would be better to "sacrifice" the Celtic game? Thoughts?

Not that we have any say in this; you can be sure that the ultimate decision will be to our detriment.

The SPL ... and presumably the SPFL - given that the actual 33+5 game schedule has not changed  - try to even out the post split fixtures over 2 seasons ..... so that teams have 38 home and 38 away overall.

Last year we had 19 home and 19 away with the post split being 3A (St J, Celtic, County) and 2H (Well, Arabs). We will have 16H games pre-split so we should have 3H and 2A to give us the 38-38 2 season total. Logic suggests we should play Arabs and Well away this year since we played them at home last year so the other 3 - Celtic, Aberdeen, +team6 would be home games. but its the SPFL so anything can happen !