FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

The Butcher Files

Renegade

Ever wanted to know what really happened during his time as manager?  Here's the thread to have your questions answered!  I know there's a "Butcherwatch" thread elsewhere, but I think it'd be good to have focusing on his time as ICT manager, where we can find out for ourselves what really went on.

So here are my questions:

How many managerial jobs did Butcher apply for while he was here?  He always used to go on about his love for the club and the area, but I always thought that was just bluff.  I've heard rumours in the past that he applied for quite a few jobs when he was here, but how many did he actually apply for.  I've heard he applied for the Falkirk job just after we were relegated and Yogi went to Hibs, as well as Motherwell, Aberdeen and Hibs a time before, but not Barnsley.  Any truth in these rumours and was there any others he wanted?

Also, prior to our relegation, rumours went round that Butcher had been involved in a training ground bust up with Ryan Esson.  This of course led to us going into the last few pivotal matches with Esson not getting his place back after suspension (he was sent off in a 4-0 defeat at Falkirk you may remember) and eventually going into that relegation decider with Falkirk with Michael Fraser in goal, a far inferior keeper to Esson, who was already leaving anyway (he had signed a pre-contract with Motherwell).  

What really happened between Butcher and Esson and how much did Butcher's ego thus play in our relegation?

Edited by Renegade

Haven't got a clue about those hearsays you publish but I do know this. Butcher has gone. He is no longer an ICT manager sowhatever happened, or didn't happen, prior to his departure has absolutely no bearing on our future so would it not be better to look to the future  and leave the past in the past?

• Agree 4

Butcher has gone. He is no longer an ICT manager

So maybe Ren should have called this thread "The Ex Files".

I can recall a newspaper article about Terry making reference to how disappointed he was not to make it onto Ipswich's shortlist in 2012.

Some people just can't accept there isn't some conspiracy going on behind the scenes at ICT. Involving directors/owners/chairmen/players/managers, hellbent on bringing the club down. Change the record

Edited by Sir C the 3rd
  • Agree 1

Haven't got a clue about those hearsays you publish but I do know this. Butcher has gone. He is no longer an ICT manager sowhatever happened, or didn't happen, prior to his departure has absolutely no bearing on our future so would it not be better to look to the future  and leave the past in the past?

So we should never mention the past ever again?  Tell that to the people who mention February 8th 2000 once a month.

Who do you think will answer your questions mate ? Don't hold your breath on anyone from the club informing the fans on the goings on at the club !

There must be some people on here who know these things and have their own questions.  I myself know a few things myself as alluded to on the other thread and elsewhere and would like to know what went on.

Some people just can't accept there isn't some conspiracy going on behind the scenes at ICT. Involving directors/owners/chairmen/players/managers, hellbent on bringing the club down. Change the record

:blink:

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 1

I do believe you are on about Ross County there 

• Agree 1

I don't really understand why people want to know if Butcher did this or did that during his time here because it has gone. Terry Butcher has turned this club into a top six side atm and whatever he was up to behind the scenes he did a brilliant job. Got us back up first time of asking, got the club into the top six for the first time ever, had us looking at Europe rather than a relegation battle and almost got us to a cup final. Butcher has done this club far more good than he did harm but he wasn't perfect and had flaws which many has alluded to over his time with us. I think he did love it here but with his reputation restored he was always going to leave to bigger things at sometime and yes i didn't think it would be Hibs but they are a bigger club with more resources than us and so i don't resent him for that. What i do resent him for is his immediate lack of respect for the club that gave him his redemption and the fans that loved him for taking the club on to a new level. That will always tarnish the good work he did here but does it really matter to find out more of whether he wanted out by applying for loads of jobs. It didn't change what happened in his 4 years and its not going to change anything now as he is well gone. He ruined his own image with his disrespect and that should be that we should move on and enjoy how ironic it is that everything he did and said when he moved have seen him eating those words big time. So well done Terry you may get that success Hibs were wanting by winning promotion in 2 or 3 seasons.  

• Agree 6

I agree and also think it'll take Hibs a few years to get back up. There's simply far too big a rebuilding job to be done for them to have any realistic chance of bouncing straight back to the top flight. Even the following season, there's likely to be a rejuvenated Dunfermline Athletic side the Championship, so promotion may elude them for a number of seasons.

That said, there's a chance they could get 'lucky' and despite being well 'off the pace', end-up in 4th place and scrape into the play-offs where 'anything could happen'!

Ever wanted to know what really happened during his time as manager?  Here's the thread to have your questions answered!  I know there's a "Butcherwatch" thread elsewhere, but I think it'd be good to have focusing on his time as ICT manager, where we can find out for ourselves what really went on.

So here are my questions:

How many managerial jobs did Butcher apply for while he was here?  He always used to go on about his love for the club and the area, but I always thought that was just bluff.  I've heard rumours in the past that he applied for quite a few jobs when he was here, but how many did he actually apply for.  I've heard he applied for the Falkirk job just after we were relegated and Yogi went to Hibs, as well as Motherwell, Aberdeen and Hibs a time before, but not Barnsley.  Any truth in these rumours and was there any others he wanted?

Also, prior to our relegation, rumours went round that Butcher had been involved in a training ground bust up with Ryan Esson.  This of course led to us going into the last few pivotal matches with Esson not getting his place back after suspension (he was sent off in a 4-0 defeat at Falkirk you may remember) and eventually going into that relegation decider with Falkirk with Michael Fraser in goal, a far inferior keeper to Esson, who was already leaving anyway (he had signed a pre-contract with Motherwell).  

What really happened between Butcher and Esson and how much did Butcher's ego thus play in our relegation?

Rengade you are starting to sound like a bitter ex who heard his girlfriend had been speaking to other lads when she was with you.

Time to move on from Butcher who I feel did an excellent job for us during his time here, yes his manner of leaving was very poor and he has paid the price for that.

As for the club not informing us if there was a bust up between him and Esson, there won't be a club in the county where those things happen time to time and they are kept where they should be behind closed doors

Edited by gordieict
  • Agree 2

Rengade you are starting to sound like a bitter ex who heard his girlfriend had been speaking to other lads when she was with you.

Time to move on from Butcher who I feel did an excellent job for us during his time here, yes his manner of leaving was very poor and he has paid the price for that.

As for the club not informing us if there was a bust up between him and Esson, there won't be a club in the county where those things happen time to time and they are kept where they should be behind closed doors

I'm not asking the club anything. 

As many people will remember, I was always rather skeptical of Butcher's managerial ability and I was quite excited when he left.  I've just always wondered about these things and would like to know what happened.

Edited by Renegade

I'm not asking the club anything. 

As many people will remember, I was always rather skeptical of Butcher's managerial ability and I was quite excited when he left.  I've just always wondered about these things and would like to know what happened.

I understand, but as you probably know you will never find out, and if it really that important now?

The statement first posed sounded pretty bitter.  Maybe as an sidenote, this might have got a better reaction.  It's always interesting to hear about the background of a club.  That's why we read biographies.  Of course it would have been fascinating to hear what happened during Tel's or any manager's time.  I still don't blame Butcher for taking us down (or Tokely or Fraser).  It was amazing we even had a chance after clinging onto Brewster for way past his sell-by date.  And he did well for us eventually.  Aseveryone said, the problem was the leaving scenario.