FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Dods leaving in the summer

kencar

Dundee United signed a number of players on decent contracts but then less than 6 months later, owing to poor league positions/cup runs and thus poor finances, had to cut the players wages. If United went out of the Cup or get stuck in the bottom six again then Dods nice new shiny contract might well be reviewed before he even plays for United...

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with those who say Dods should continue to play, everyone's known he was off at the end of the season and he has continued to give his all and we have no basis to suggest he will not continue to do so now.

I also agree with those who say he should not play against Utd.  Not because he wouldn't give anything but 100%, but for his own sake.  The minute he steps on the field against them he is in a no win situation.  We win and hinder Utd's league/cup progress and he's public enemy #1 with Utd before he even goes there.  We lose and people will be on his case for any flaw in his match perfromance.

I would be very suprised if Dods had not asked CC to consider this when making the team selection for those matches, rather than CC having to tell him he wouldn't be playing.

Guest Arab4Ever

Dundee United signed a number of players on decent contracts but then less than 6 months later, owing to poor league positions/cup runs and thus poor finances, had to cut the players wages. If United went out of the Cup or get stuck in the bottom six again then Dods nice new shiny contract might well be reviewed before he even plays for United...

I dont think his new contract will be especially "shiny". Dods is on a basic wage of £650 (lets face it, what footballers should be payed) at ICT so I doubt he will getting any more than 1.5k at Utd. I also epect as ET is a pretty shrew buisnessmen he would have offered a contract he knew he could afford to pay.

It's alway a difficult one this.... when loyalties might be divided.... What if he picks up a bad, or even career threatening injury between now and June?

Tis unlikely that any of you guys will remember much about Denis Law.... but I can remember him scoring for Man City, the club with which he finished his career, in the last few minutes of a derby game against Man U, which consigned his old club, and the club that he loved  into the old 2nd Division....

He refused to celebrate that goal.... Now that was professionalism....

I think the whole thread is a non story. This is borne out of the minds of fans who are being sensationalistic. Dods has been nothing other than a true professional while playing for ICT, I see nothing that will make him change his style, and to suggest otherwise is ludicrous and tantamount to calling him a cheat.

Remember, it is ICT who will pay his wages until the season ends.

Guest Arab4Ever

Can anyone remember the name of the player who scored for Chelsea in Europe to knock I think it was Helsinborgs out of some cup perhaps 6-8 years ago. Anyway, he was on a pre-contract to whichever team it was...

Guest Suspicious Mind

I think the whole thread is a non story. This is borne out of the minds of fans who are being sensationalistic. Dods has been nothing other than a true professional while playing for ICT, I see nothing that will make him change his style, and to suggest otherwise is ludicrous and tantamount to calling him a cheat.

Remember, it is ICT who will pay his wages until the season ends.

Spot on.

Why would I pay for a car for six months but not drive because I'm changing it in the summer?

Also cannot believe the lack of recognition of the role Dods has played at the club for the past two seasons. "Easily replaced", "Caff will just step in", "We coped when Bobby left etc. etc. Optimisim gone mad!

If Caff was such an equal to Dods, why has there not been a queue of clubs banging our door whilst he's been stuck in the reserves or benched?

Dods will be the greatest loss to the club as Ike will replace Broonie and, despite his undoubted ability, there is probably more cover for Dargo available.

So play the Machine as long as we can

I just hope there is a meaningful search going on right now to find a successor.... Apart from his proven ability as a quality defender, he's also been an inspirational captain, and is even capable of scoring the odd goal.....

Even at this stage in his career, he could be considered for international honours.... he certainly wouldn't let anybody down..... :025:

Spot on.

Why would I pay for a car for six months but not drive because I'm changing it in the summer?

Not quite the same. You are still going to put the same effort into using it just as much until you get a new one.

What about "If I had been given a better paid job in x months time would I really apply myself as hard as I could do when I know I am going onto a better wage in the future?"

Worryingly this could be my second sensible post in a row but - At least Dods has a) the common decency not to just leave us abruptly and/or in mid season b) does not **** about with contract negotiations and states quite clearly where he stands c) leaves for primarily personal reasons and not fer spondoolachs or glory hunting d) publicly thanks the club fer resurrecting his career and e) openly pays homage to the fans and does not refer to ICT as a diddy outfit.

If only many others would follow suit - The man is a pure pro. RESPECT  :011:

Yes, because you are an honest professional who gives his best every game you play.

Some people have lost the plot with their accusations against Dods, watch out for the solicitors letters coming through the letter box.

I await the hat-trick ender.

I'm not doubting Dods professionalism in the slightest, but fans are fickle people and as I said in my post earlier in the thread, I think it is for his own good that he does not play against Utd because we (and Utd) have fans who will use whatever he does during the match as an excuse to have a go.

It would appear from comments in todays papers that CC has no reservations at all in playing him in these matches, and if Dods is as happy with that and the risk of a slating from one side or the other then go for it, I have no problem with that.

One note of caution.  If he plays against Utd in the cup game and performs to his usual best then it will likely shut most of the disenters up till the end of the season.  However, should the opposite be the case then we will never hear the end of it and Dods will get nothing but dogs abuse for the rest of the season.

:006:

Time for your tablets D

If people believe that then there is something wrong with their metabolism, get a reality check guys.

Dods will perform as he always does, if he makes a mistake.............tough, it happens.

Guest Suspicious Mind

Spot on.

Not quite the same. You are still going to put the same effort into using it just as much until you get a new one.

What about "If I had been given a better paid job in x months time would I really apply myself as hard as I could do when I know I am going onto a better wage in the future?"

Obviously used to spending time with people with a lack of discipline, drive, integrity and motivation.

No a student by any chance? :004:

Don't judge others bu your own standards :018:

Guest Suspicious Mind

A big man charges you wads of cash for emptying your bins (not at Xmas when you need it though), a couple of street lights and fireworks once a year. Design to be as close as possible to your mortgage but in 25 years time you still own bugger all!