FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

current form

Bronson

Not been on here for a long time so apologies if this has been discussed before.

I'm really concerned about our current form. Think I'm correct in saying we haven't won in 9 now. 5 draws and 4 losses. (Not including cup games v raith and celtic). I've never been good at maths but I make it 5 points out of a possible 27. I would imagine that is the worst form in the league at the moment. I'm fairly certain that we crashed and burned in the latter stages of the season.

Is it down to expectation? While we're written off there is no expectation so there is no pressure. Now that the prize is in site (europe) and we are/have been favourites for Europe we are really struggling. Where is the consistency? The way we played first half v Aberdeen and against Celtic was fantastic.

Also am I correct in saying Esson has not kept a league clean sheet in the league since coming in from brills original injury.

Though I am excited about the possible best season ever I am also concerned that we bottle it in the cup and end up 5th in league.

It isnt great but I think a lot has come from just the squad size. I don't think the players are physically tired but mentally as most have played nearly every game this season. We should have won a few in that 9 and I think although performances have dipped we are still competitive and things have just not gone our way. The Aberdeen game we should have won, 3 times ahead against killie and we couldn't hold it, 1 up at Utd against 10 men and we didn't put them to the sword, Motherwell away we got back on terms and then conceded and Dundee a game we dominated and had a couple of our chances like ofere's dink gone in then we would have won. It is  a dip and concern but we haven't been played off the park and had we been a little bit more street wise then we would be well clear and even challenging Aberdeen. We can still get 3rd as there is still a few more performances in the tank but we have to accept without a large squad with the ability to rotate over a season that players will burnout and we wont play as crisp and vibrant as we were in the first half of this season.  

It's still completely in our own hands. I'm just praying it works out.

Yogi has also struggled to identify his preferred starting line up, changing almost on a weekly basis between Christie, Doran, Ross and Williams.

I too am beginning to experience the squeaky bum syndrome. I am not overly concerned about the swopping around and I do think that Yogi knows his best team. I hope that he will play that "first team" in both fixtures this week. Not sure why Vincent has come back in to the mix all of a sudden ? Draper is a miss. Raven isnt except that will result in yet another shake up. I am not at all convinced by Ofere and would rather see him used as the battering ram target man and allow Watkins to move about.

I'd be more concerned if we were losing games or (in the ones that we are losing) losing by a margin. We aren't. Apart from Partick and Aberdeen, who can't do any wrong against us, we are nip and tuck with anyone else. A 1-1 draw away from home against St. Johnstone who are fourth and pushing is not a bad result. We're not "throwing it away" , others are fighting just as hard as us for their season. As for changes yesterday, I think that Ross and christie were left out because they would have been battered by a big, physical Saints midfield. There was also little point in having ball carriers on that pitch - hod carriers would have bbeen more appropriate. Vincent shores it up when the usual "enforcer" isn't there. Doran justified his inclusion, so has Ross every time he has played. Swings & roundabouts, but limited by the squad size and not evidence of not knowing your best side.

Tell you what though, tuesday becomes important and it's against a side that are beatable. Get there and support the team instead of getting on here and worrying. It'll do more good.

One word - "confidence". That's all that's different now compared to earlier in the season. The games against Aberdeen and St J sum this up: leading in both in the final 30 min and coming out with only one point in total reflects the jitters in our play late in these games as opposed to the confidence we showed when we were sealing wins at the beginning of the season. IMO we're playing pretty well for the majority of these games, but just can't nail them at the crucial moment. Will take any kind of scabby win to turn this around!

• Agree 2

End of seasons are always tricky for clubs with small squads

Fatigue, suspensions, injuries, and young players on a learning curve

However the manager has to realise, that  "closing the stable door",  "and running down the clock", is not a cardinal sin.

The number of free kicks ICT  give away is costing the team  dear .  Especially towards the end of games. It can't be easy for such a small club, but there are players who should play , who sit on the bench. It all helps to give the others a brief respite.

Any way best of luck to the team as they  enter the last lap of a very long race.