FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Richard Offiong

RossP

Could be lazy journalism, but bbc gossip column says we are after Hamilton Accies striker Richard Offiong. *EDIT* Its a story from the Daily Express, so its definitely lazy journalism!!

Richard Offiong (born 17 December 1983 in South Shields, England) is an English footballer, currently playing for Hamilton Academical. His normal position is striker.

Offiong started his career with Newcastle United as a youth but never made a 1st team appearance for the club. During his subsequent spell at Newcastle he was loaned out 3 times. During his time at Newcastle Offiong was capped by England at u20 level. His first loan out was at Darlington for a 2 month spell between November 2002 and January 2003 in which he scored 2 in his 7 league appearances for the club.

He was then sent out on loan straight away to Motherwell for 4 months till May, where all of his 9 appearances for the club came from the subs bench and did not find the net once. The season after nearing the end of his Newcastle contract in March 2004 had a short 1 month loan spell at York City before he left Newcastle at end of the season. During 2004 to 2005 Offiong has some brief spells abroad in the likes of Turkey, Korea and Belgium.[2]

Offiong joined Doncaster Rovers on a free but was limited to only 5 appearances at the club and subsequently left at the end of the season.

He joined Hamilton Academical and has had a succesful start to the season. Richard is now one of the fans favourites, he is strong, pacey and a great shot, the future looks bright for the young star.

Four years ago

This guy thought Bobo Balde was his toughest opponent.

Truthfully though he was one of quite a few lads who came through the Newcastle school but never made the grade. One of those works with me now. I'm quite sure maturity has taken over and he see's football as a career now and not just a licence to go clubbing. Could be a worthwhile investment.

I'd have him in the team, question though, not that it matters but would this be the first coloured player to play in Inverness colours :024: I can't think of anyone

HC - i think the politically correct term has reverted to 'black' as opposed to 'coloured' ... at least it has over here. Leaving semantics aside, to answer your question, I believe he would be the first black player to pull on an ICT shirt, certainly in the first team for sure. At the end of the day, if a player is good enough thats all that matters and his background, religion, ethnicity, nationality or anything else thats not directly related to his football skills matters not a jot. (not that I am saying you are suggesting otherwise).

I'd have him in the team, question though, not that it matters but would this be the first coloured player to play in Inverness colours :024: I can't think of anyone

HC - i think the politically correct term has reverted to 'black' as opposed to 'coloured' ... at least it has over here. Leaving semantics aside, to answer your question, I believe he would be the first black player to pull on an ICT shirt, certainly in the first team for sure. At the end of the day, if a player is good enough thats all that matters and his background, religion, ethnicity, nationality or anything else thats not directly related to his football skills matters not a jot. (not that I am saying you are suggesting otherwise).

I am anything but racist, just thought that it was interesting

definitely interesting .....

Whilst the backbone of the team will undoubtedly remain primarily Scottish and probably 'Highland' for years to come due to the club's current size and the often used 'geography' excuse it is refreshing to think that there are no barriers (other than wages) to signing any player who might be willing to come to us. I also thought the signing of Juanjo was significant as it went outwith the bounds of parochialism that we seemed to have in years gone by .....

I'd have him in the team, question though, not that it matters but would this be the first coloured player to play in Inverness colours :024:

I can't think of anyone

Harry, in the multi cultural society we live in nowadays the question should never arise. I know your question is one of interest and nothing to do with racism but others may not see it that way. If any player wants to come to Inverness, and is good enough, thats all that matters. I might be wrong here but I think we are the only team in SPL without a player of ethnic origin.

Scotty, have you chosen to forget Sergie

I'd have him in the team, question though, not that it matters but would this be the first coloured player to play in Inverness colours :024:

I can't think of anyone

Harry, in the multi cultural society we live in nowadays the question should never arise. I know your question is one of interest and nothing to do with racism but others may not see it that way. If any player wants to come to Inverness, and is good enough, thats all that matters. I might be wrong here but I think we are the only team in SPL without a player of ethnic origin.

If other people are seeing it that way then it is them that have the issue, my statement was one of intrigue.  It is only an issue if you make it one, I just asked a simple and honest question.  I'm actually really ****ing annoyed that a question like mine would be even considered to be racist if people can't speak freely about another person's skin colour and ethnic origin because they are scared they will be accused of being intolerant to a race, that is when there would be a problem.

Yes, and I was successful until you mentioned him .....  :017: :017: :017:

I'm actually really ****ing annoyed that a question like mine would be even considered to be racist

Didnt think your comment was racist in the slightest, merely espousing my own opinion which is that "If a player is good enough then that is all that matters and his background, religion, ethnicity, nationality or anything else thats not directly related to his football skills matters not a jot"

Harry, I am trained in, and have a fair bit of experience in, discriminatory councilling, and I know, and have acknowledged, that your question was one of curiosity, and not a racist remark. I do know, however, that people can, and will, take the wrong interpretation from the question. Hence the comment. Not a reflection on you but a reflection on society. Apologies if you feel offended.

Yes, and I was successful until you mentioned him .....  :017: :017: :017:

:015: :015: :015:

I'm actually really ****ing annoyed that a question like mine would be even considered to be racist

Didnt think your comment was racist in the slightest, merely espousing my own opinion which is that "If a player is good enough then that is all that matters and his background, religion, ethnicity, nationality or anything else thats not directly related to his football skills matters not a jot"

:021:

- edited to sort out the quotes : Scotty

Guest Arab4Ever

Harry, I am trained in, and have a fair bit of experience in, discriminatory councilling, and I know, and have acknowledged, that your question was one of curiosity, and not a racist remark. I do know, however, that people can, and will, take the wrong interpretation from the question. Hence the comment. Not a reflection on you but a reflection on society. Apologies if you feel offended.

If somebody can find an offence in what he said then the problem is theirs. If we are going to go down the road of not mentioning skin colour then perhaps we shouldnt ever mention hair colour, sex, age or sexual persuasion etc just incase someone is offended. The amount of publicity racism gets just makes it an even bigger problem too. Ageism, sexism and homophobia are all arguably as bad as racism but they get no where near as much attention from the PC crew as racism. If Harry had asked "is he the first homosexual player" I doubt anyone would have batted an eyelid.

If Harry had asked "is he the first homosexual player" I doubt anyone would have batted an eyelid.

Nah... Barry Robson was our first  :015:

I jest of course  :023:

Guest Arab4Ever

If Harry had asked "is he the first homosexual player" I doubt anyone would have batted an eyelid.

Nah... Barry Robson was our first  :015:

I jest of course  :023:

How very dare you, do you know the implications of such a scandalous homophobic remark :014:

It is amazing that any implications have been raised at all that in any way he might have meant anything other than what he actually said, i.e. simply musing and simply stating facts. And Harry is only interested in opining oin one thing on here --football! Hoch! Hoch1

In point of fact he was simply calling a spade a spade...... :024: