FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Killie Tactics?

These are not critical but fer open discussion fer voyeurs of yesterdays game - remembering it was do or die!!

First half: Dods marking Naismith - Caff on Nish - would it have been more effective the other way round?

Were Wilson and Pat O'Linnen playing a tad too much forward and leaving Rosscoe and Fagan exposed.?

Where were Duncan and Black playing - looked like me that Duncan was deep - Black in front - Duncan sweeping-Black central.

Bayne and McSwegan were both up front - Both were target men. We lost Bayne's movement but did McSwegan actually move?

SECOND HALF:

Why wasnt McSwegan hooked?

When Rory came on - Bayne became the target man and Rory the runner - did yas notice the difference?

Pat O'Linnen played deeper and to more effect.

Straight from the off Duncan and Black held the same line. Evidently discussed at half time.

SUBSTITUTIONS: Shurely Rory fer McSwegan should have been the first: Wilson was fecked - the natural sub would have been Hart out on the right; If Black went should his replacement not have been Rankin - a playmaker.

So ya bring on Hart and play him on the left and bring on Zander and play him on the right!!

As I said - up fer open discussion - and I challenge anyone to give me a sensible, serious rationale to the contrary.

These are not critical but fer open discussion fer voyeurs of yesterdays game - remembering it was do or die!!

First half: Dods marking Naismith - Caff on Nish - would it have been more effective the other way round?

Agreed, I also said this to a mate during the match

Were Wilson and Pat O'Linnen playing a tad too much forward and leaving Rosscoe and Fagan exposed.?

You said it yourself on another thread, this was our last chance saloon, we had to win yesterday so can't really have a go at CC for trying to attack Killie. 

Where were Duncan and Black playing - looked like me that Duncan was deep - Black in front - Duncan sweeping-Black central.

Duncan always plays as a defensive midfielder and Black is at his best when he let free to run around park.  Black has absolutely no positional sense at all, so IMO the only way to play Black in the team is if you have a hlding midfielder sweeping up.

Bayne and McSwegan were both up front - Both were target men. We lost Bayne's movement but did McSwegan actually move?

Rubbish, Sweggers played more like an attacking midfielder for a lot of the match doing most of his work infront of their defenders while Bayne tried to play the line.  My only criticism is that they played to far apart as a partnership and didn't really play off each other during the match.

SECOND HALF:

Why wasnt McSwegan hooked?

Because he was doing alright, I would have personally started with McAllister if CC was set on going for 2 upfront but thought Sweggars actually put in a decent shift.

When Rory came on - Bayne became the target man and Rory the runner - did yas notice the difference?

Only difference was that McAllister is a younger player and able to run at defenders with the fresher legs.

Pat O'Linnen played deeper and to more effect.

Markus played in the same all game, if anything he was pushed further forward because the team went into all attack towards the end of the game.

Straight from the off Duncan and Black held the same line. Evidently discussed at half time.

Duncan sat behind Black all game pulling the strings

SUBSTITUTIONS: Shurely Rory fer McSwegan should have been the first: Wilson was fecked - the natural sub would have been Hart out on the right; If Black went should his replacement not have been Rankin - a playmaker.

So ya bring on Hart and play him on the left and bring on Zander and play him on the right!!

As I said - up fer open discussion - and I challenge anyone to give me a sensible, serious rationale to the contrary.

Subs all did well and even though you were pissing and moaning that Black was subbed you couldn't notice because the replacements did such a good job, Zander and McAllister especially.

You could easily sit and pick holes out of any performance but at the end of the day we watched 2 evenly matched teams but Killie got a few more breaks than us, that is all!!

:017: :017: Does anyone else agree about Hairy's comments on McSwegan? - a decent shift - feck me!!

We "attacked" Killie in the first half?  :017: :017: :017:

Marcus didnt change his pattern?  :017: :017: :017:

2 evenly matched teams?  :017: :017: :017:

Was there anybody there with any non tinted tactical nouse?

McSwegan started well, but after our goal disappeared until he hit a fericious shot from thirtyfive yards after an hour.

We attacked until we scored then sat deep/were pushed back.

Marcus had a good game, my MoM, looks to be a goal threat cutting in from the left and not afraid to try to skin the defender, and good in the air as his goal showed.

Evenly matched...............well I thought we could have drawn the game given our more advanced second half display.

I thought Caff had a great second half, should be replacing Dods for the last five games, we need to know now in competitive matches if he is going to cut the mustard.

Duncan and Black were just fine, Black not looking likely to get sent off, but there is always the chance of it after the first booking.

I have no complaints about yesterdays performane, better than the United game and we played with plenty of endeavour in the second half.

First things first I'm pro-Christie, as most of you will be aware, but messageboards are all about giving your opinion and I think on hindsight CC was just a tad to bold with the formation.

I said last week that I wanted to see Paatelainen get a start at Killie but I feel he should have been up front with Bayne, John Rankin would have been in midfield left.

Having said that the way things have been going we'd probably have been beaten 0-1, better being beaten in an attacking style than a negative one. It does go to show you though that many fans beg to see a more attacking swashbuckling formation than we tend to use.  We should remember though that Inverness have got where they are today by playing as a tight unit.

Other things:-

I agree with IHE regarding McSwegan, didn't impress me at all.

I agree with Harry on the evenly matched teams bit though, there was very little in it

Guest warwickboy

You could easily sit and pick holes out of any performance but at the end of the day we watched 2 evenly matched teams but Killie got a few more breaks than us, that is all!!

I agree with you. That's all three games between our sides that I have seen this year, and you're right - Killie essentially have got the breaks.

ICT should have won at Rugby Park back in September, and the reason why they didn't escapes me. We were lucky.

The game at Inverness - well 4-3 what can you say? What a game, and again we were lucky.

Same thing yesterday - I thought ICT eventually ran out of time and had Killie camped in their own half at the end.

Our two teams always give us exciting matches when they meet. Killie have pipped it this season. You'll get your turn over us, I'm sure of it. That's football.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

SECOND HALF:

Why wasnt McSwegan hooked? He was hooked wasn't he?

When Rory came on - Bayne became the target man and Rory the runner - did yas notice the difference? No. They were both used as target men with balls being punted up to them.

Pat O'Linnen played deeper and to more effect. Seemed to help out Hastings when he needed to.

Straight from the off Duncan and Black held the same line. Evidently discussed at half time. Duncan was always further back than Black who seemed to spend a lot of time trying to help the wide players bring the ball infield or at least offering himself for a pass by pressing forward.

SUBSTITUTIONS: Shurely Rory fer McSwegan should have been the first: Wilson was fecked - the natural sub would have been Hart out on the right; If Black went should his replacement not have been Rankin - a playmaker. I would agree with most of that.

So ya bring on Hart and play him on the left and bring on Zander and play him on the right!! What is wrong with that? It's not like we haven't done that before. Hart has played well on the left before and Xander has usually come on to play on the right hand side. Not too sure why this is causing so much confusion.

I agree with you. That's all three games between our sides that I have seen this year, and you're right - Killie essentially have got the breaks.

ICT should have won at Rugby Park back in September, and the reason why they didn't escapes me. We were lucky.

The game at Inverness - well 4-3 what can you say? What a game, and again we were lucky.

Same thing yesterday - I thought ICT eventually ran out of time and had Killie camped in their own half at the end.

Our two teams always give us exciting matches when they meet. Killie have pipped it this season. You'll get your turn over us, I'm sure of it. That's football.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

Cheers for the honest assesment Warwickboy. You're right our clubs do serve up good encounters when they meet.

I warn you though, Immortal Howden Ender will accuse you of being a member of "The Charlie Christie Protection Society"  :015:

Good luck in the Cup Final.

SECOND HALF:

Why wasnt McSwegan hooked? He was hooked wasn't he?

At half time is what I meant.

When Rory came on - Bayne became the target man and Rory the runner - did yas notice the difference? No. They were both used as target men with balls being punted up to them. Disagree. Bayne saw more of the ball in the last 10 minutes than he did in the rest of the game.

Pat O'Linnen played deeper and to more effect. Seemed to help out Hastings when he needed to. Yes - in the second half.

Straight from the off Duncan and Black held the same line. Evidently discussed at half time. Duncan was always further back than Black who seemed to spend a lot of time trying to help the wide players bring the ball infield or at least offering himself for a pass by pressing forward. Concede that one.

SUBSTITUTIONS: Shurely Rory fer McSwegan should have been the first: Wilson was fecked - the natural sub would have been Hart out on the right; If Black went should his replacement not have been Rankin - a playmaker. I would agree with most of that.

So ya bring on Hart and play him on the left and bring on Zander and play him on the right!! What is wrong with that? It's not like we haven't done that before. Hart has played well on the left before and Xander has usually come on to play on the right hand side. Not too sure why this is causing so much confusion. Answered on another thread. Just that Marcus was a natural left footed wide player - Hart would have fitted in on the other flank.

2 evenly matched teams?   :017: :017: :017:

I think this part is particulary unfair IHE.

As I've mentioned earlier, I thought there was nothing between the teams on Saturday, a Killie fan has come on here and stated that basically we were unlucky and deserved more. The papers I read today were complimentry to ICT, generally stating, again, that we were unlucky.

I just wondering, you know how you remark words to the effect that some of your fellow members are seeing things through their "CC protection society" viewpoint and unable to offer an unbiased slant. Well could your viewpoint be clouded by the opposite ?

Before you start giving me the IHE rant :003: I do realise you're not particulary anti-CC.

:hiding01:

Guest flood

As I've mentioned earlier, I thought there was nothing between the teams on Saturday, a Killie fan has come on here and stated that basically we were unlucky and deserved more. The papers I read today were complimentry to ICT, generally stating, again, that we were unlucky.

I just wondering, you know how you remark words to the effect that some of your fellow members are seeing things through their "CC protection society" viewpoint and unable to offer an unbiased slant. Well could your viewpoint be clouded by the opposite ?

Before you start giving me the IHE rant :003: I do realise you're not particulary anti-CC.

stats from Daily record...

POSSESSION

Killie 58% ICT 42%

SHOTS ON TARGET

Killie 7 ICT 4

SHOTS OFF TARGET

Killie 4 ICT 2

CORNERS

6 6

FOULS CONCEDED

10 15

OFFSIDES

5 1

I was at game and Killie deserved win. We dominated first half and went 3-1 up and had many chances. You got a goal early second half and had to go for it to get top 6, but I never felt in any great danger, particularly after Black was hooked for the second time this season at RP. After the game we could not think of another player who has been removed twice in one season before being sent off!

stats from Daily record...

POSSESSION

Killie 58% ICT 42%

SHOTS ON TARGET

Killie 7 ICT 4

SHOTS OFF TARGET

Killie 4 ICT 2

CORNERS

6 6

FOULS CONCEDED

10 15

OFFSIDES

5 1

I was at game and Killie deserved win. We dominated first half and went 3-1 up and had many chances. You got a goal early second half and had to go for it to get top 6, but I never felt in any great danger, particularly after Black was hooked for the second time this season at RP. After the game we could not think of another player who has been removed twice in one season before being sent off!

Flood, you quote the Daily Record stats.I notice you don't mention the Daily Record report, :024: it clearly says "Caley Thistle were worth a share of the spoils"

You say you didn't feel in any great danger in the second half ! Killie did very little in the second half, ICT had a couple of really decent chances in the 2nd half, we deserved a draw.

Zander played on the wing but never once played down it. He kept on coming inside on his left foot and into a packed midfield. When he plays on the natural left he consistently hugs the touchline and tries to get as close to the bye line as possible before crossing with his well favoured and effective left foot. Hart, at times, can cross well with his right foot and can often try and hit the line. Again he found himself trying to manouevre on to his right foot and slowed the game up. Most of his "crosses" were limited to free kicks and corners.

At half time it could have been 4 or 5 at I feared a trouncing. As I have already alluded to we made several changes in the formation at half time and gave it a go. As the Killie fan said taking off Black gave them confidence as he was clearly the one player who looked capable of playing a telling ball. We deserved a point at least in the end because of our dominance in the second half but we could have won it if we were sounder tactically. They always looked the liklier team to score and I felt that they took the foot off the pedal in the second half.

Fer fecks sake - I am playing the devils advocate.  :001: :001:

Creates more posts as well.  :015: :015: :015:

Zander played on the wing but never once played down it. He kept on coming inside on his left foot and into a packed midfield.

I think you were watching a different game from some of us at times. Xander was forced to cut infield a lot of the time because no one was pulling wide to offer support and Tokely was having to hold back and couldn't overlap. He has hugged the right hand touchline on plenty of ocassions this season when he has come on.

Zander was cutting inside and not taking the full back on is what I said and you agree. Thank you. I watched the whole 90 minutes. :001:

and you've still managed to talk absolute pesh :023:

I saw the full 90 and from reading your posts I feel as though I was at a different game

Zander was cutting inside and not taking the full back on is what I said and you agree. Thank you. I watched the whole 90 minutes. :001:

Good for you. Would you like a medal?

Xander was forced into doing that. he has never had a problem doing that other times this season on the right hand side.

fao Stevie and Harry Chibber

Kilmarnock 3 ICT 2

get a grip guys we've taken 10 points in the league since the turn of 2007; 8 league games, good point away to aberdeen and at home we comfortably dispatched a tired hibs side.  we also managed to beat the mighty st mirren who had half a dozen first team players out 2-1 and demolished dundee united 1-0 thanks to barrys late effort.  theres more going on just now that us 'not getting the breaks' as youve said explains why we lost on saturday

Kilmarnock 3 ICT 2

get a grip guys we've taken 10 points in the league since the turn of 2007; 8 league games, good point away to aberdeen and at home we comfortably dispatched a tired hibs side.  we also managed to beat the mighty st mirren who had half a dozen first team players out 2-1 and demolished dundee united 1-0 thanks to barrys late effort.  theres more going on just now that us 'not getting the breaks' as youve said explains why we lost on saturday

considering you were only there for the second half I'm surprised you don't think that it was the better team that lost considering how strong we played in the 2nd 45. 

I was obviously addressing last Saturday when I said we were evenly matched teams... but out of curiosity, how many of the Killie players would you actually take in the ICT squad?  I would have Naismith (obviously), Di Giacomo and Greer... and considering we were missing 2 of our best players it is hardly a huge gulf in talent.... and on the day the game really was settled because of a couple of defensive lapses or 'breaks' for killie, if you like.

And although I might be pro ICT (heaven forbid), you both seem incapable of giving the team and Christie any credit when and if they deserve it.  It seems that you both made a decision to not back Christie to be controversial and are now to stubborn to get behind the team  for the fear of looking like a **** (copyright clacher).

Kilmarnock 3 ICT 2

Och diddums, the poor wee Hibbies had to play 3 games in 7 days. No clacher I not having that one :018: we hammered them (again) fair and square.

Clacher of course you're entitled to criticise but you're even looking for negative points when we get victories :confused01:

P.S. were you sitting up the back at Rugby Park ?