FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Inverness CT -V- Partick Thistle - Preview

tm4tj

Jags on Jags

Third place Partick Thistle come calling at the Caledonian Stadium this Saturday for a game scheduled to kick-off at 3:00pm. The sides can't be separated so far this season with both fixtures ending all square. Partick will be looking to hang on to the coat tails of the top two who face each other on Friday night whilst we are in desperate need of points to avoid being sucked into the hub of the relegation play-offs. Both sides exited the Scottish Cup last weekend against Premiership opposition, but it's back to the grind on Saturday with a tough encounter expected. Off the field, the Battery Farm project is still a cause for concern with the local council doing a U-turn. You couldn't make this up, what an omnishambles.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Match/Ticket Info

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

H2H v Partick Thistle Pld Won Drn Lst For Agst + / -
Home 26 12 7 7 39 33 +6
Away 25 6 7 12 26 40 -14
Neutral 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Total 51 18 14 19 65 73 -8

Home team is normally the best indicator in these fixtures. We suffered a couple of heavy away defeats a year or two ago but other than that most of these fixtures have been close affairs and usually favour the home side. Both games this season ended all square, although it's fair to say that Inverness shaded the play but our lack of penetration in the final third is a continuing problem.

Last 10 Competitive Meetings v Partick Thistle
draw.png
1 - 1
(A)
draw.png
0 - 0
(H)
win.png
1 - 0
(H)
loss.png
1 - 5
(A)
win.png
1 - 0
(H)
loss.png
1 - 4
(A)
win.png
1 - 0
(H)
win.png
2 - 1
(A)
loss.png
0 - 1
(A)
draw.png
3 - 3
(H)

FULL TIME: 0 - 0.  Thistle be the day:  This will be the day that Duncan Ferguson made his bow to the Caley Jags fans. The weather might have dampened the atmosherics, but inside the stadium it was a warm welcome for Big Dunc. He was without the long term absentees (MacGregor & Nicolson) plus more recent victims in Sean Welsh, Danny Devine and Wallace Duffy. After the first win last week, it was an unchanged starting XI that took to the sodden turf. Partick had our olde foe Brian Graham up front. Enough said.
Neither side can complain about a point apiece but Partick will now know that they can not expect to pick up easy points against us. In fact had Gilmour placed his shot within the bounds of the posts then we could have taken all three points. Meh! Another step in the right direction for Inverness who matched high scoring Partick Thistle all over the park. Best for Inverness were the tricky Longstaff, the unflustered Ujdur and the driving force of Gilmour, with Ridgers doing his bit at the end.

Pos Team Pld W D L F A Pts
Big game on Friday night: Raith v Dundee United
1. Dundee Utd 22 14 6 2 45 11 48
2. Raith Rovers 22 13 5 4 40 31 44
3. Partick Thistle 22 10 7 5 43 34 37
4. Morton 22 9 5 8 32 27 32
5. Airdrieonians 21 8 4 9 20 24 28
6. Queens Park 23 7 5 11 31 41 26
7. Ayr United 23 7 5 11 30 41 26
8. Inverness CT 23 6 6 11 26 28 24
9. Dunfermline 22 6 6 10 24 32 24
10. Arbroath 22 5 3 14 23 45 18

FRIDAY 16TH FEBRUARY

Raith Rovers v Dundee Utd

SATURDAY 17TH FEBRUARY

Airdrieonians v Ayr United

Dunfermline v Arbroath

Inverness CT v Partick Thistle

Queen's Pk v Morton

Last Time Out

Both sides fell at the 5th round stage of the Scottish Cup. We went down 3-1 to a seasoned Premiership side in Hibs. Defensive blunders, a deflected goal and a bit of extra quality saw Hibs through to face Rangers in the next round. The goal of the game came from Aaron Doran in stoppage time. A mere consolation, but a cracker nonetheless.

<<click watch on X to start video>>

No disgrace really, but the disappointing aspect of this defeat, as is the case most weeks, is our inability to break down a defence and get a shot on target. However, with Alex Samuel injured, we lost our only form of aggression up front, and with it, any hope of causing an upset.

Partick had cheered us all up when they knocked County out of the Cup in the previous round, however, surprisingly they found Livingston to be much more resilient and went down 2-3 after extra time. McInroy and Fitzpatrick had put the Harry Wragg's two ahead on the hour before Livi produced a match winning comeback to win in extra time thanks to Kris Doolan's untimely substitutions.

Latest Team News

Inverness will be without Luis Longstaff for a couple of months with a knee injury. Alex Samuel missed out last week with a fractured hand and misses out again. Morgan Boyes fell out with a post against Hibs and will be out. The post escaped without injury and will be back in action on Saturday. :moon02:Danny Devine and Nikola Ujdur have had limited training this week.

Partick Thistle manager Kris Doolan lamented making the two substitutions in the five minute spell between Partick going 2-0 ahead and Joel Nouble starting the Livi comeback in the 66th minute. My Bad he said :amazed: Speaking on BBC Sport:  "I'm gutted. We put so much into it, but to be 2-0 up and lose is tough. We pushed them the full way. I take responsibility, I made two subs quickly, took off two key players. Maybe they should have stayed on the pitch. "We caused them problems, but we just couldn't deal with their physicality at the end of the game. It's heartbreaking when it comes down the last 20 seconds and you lose a goal, but there are positives to take."

Team v Livi in Cup:
Sneddon

McMillan Williams 71)   Muirhead (McKenzie 100)   Neilson   Milne

Bannigan   Stanway

Lawless (Diack 64)   McInroy (Alston 87)   Fitzpatrick (Ngwenya 87)

Graham (Adeloye 64)

Subs not used: Mitchell; Stewart; Lyon

• Like 2

Huge game tomorrow at EEP, results depending over there, we could be 2nd bottom or only 3 points off the bottom spot with a game more played if we dont pick up something.

3 points badly needed and a home win for some confidence, but expect PT to sit in knowing we will be insipid and a nervous afternoon all round.

• Agree 3

• tm4tj pinned and featured this topic
2 hours ago, Alan said:

Just a shot at goal would be a welcome addition to our boring possession football

Totally agree Alan we have to have a real go for a change and win a home game. 

• Agree 2

Was at the Scottish cup game a few weeks ago in Dingwall when they trounced county 3-0.

very strong centre backs with both full backs getting up the park with ease. 

like others we have played this year they have a Connolly, Easton, Middleton, Thomas type winger in Fitzpatrick who roasted county’s Randall at right back that day.

hope I am wrong but can’t see us with our home form taking anything from tomorrow.

interesting to see how our young centre backs handle the experienced Graham.

With Devine, Boyes and Ujdur all out or struggling, it’s a good job we brought defenders in!

I hope they can handle Graham. If they can, I actually fancy us to get something from this. 

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, Duke of Inverness said:

I'm going 3-1 PT. We won't handle Graham and our goal would likely be a penalty. Plus I'm not going as I can't stand our insipid and boring tactics. 

Make your mind up! Are you going or not going.....

• Funny 5

If you don't shoot you don't score. Here's the goal that won the game 2-1 for Raith Rovers last night. Some strike: Boom!

Thank you to all 7,923 of you, our highest attendance in 27 years.

• Agree 1

50 minutes ago, een said:

Truth is we are presently sitting 6th.

Fingers 🤞

The reality now is, the only two teams below us have games in hand against us. We’re also playing them both in the next 10 days.

• Thoughtful 1

-Play OK

-Lead or level into the 2nd half

-Make the same subs every week that unsettle us/sub Billy Mckay

-concede goal(s)

-RINSE AND REPEAT.

It would be nice if we could show that we're learning week on week but we're not.  That goes for the players and the manager.

• Agree 1
  • Well Said 1

That was more like an exciting game and certainly was not flat. I thought we were better first half, Partick took second half.

I thought we had some nice touches and there was some good play.We have to remember that this team is work in progress and half the squad are new.We gave away soft goals and could have won it if pebble had just passed to Cammy running up his inside.

That was never  a red card when you consider kerr being poleaxed and no cards shown.

At least we never lost,which looked highly possible the way things were going .

Positive signs althoughI must admit some of the substitution were a bit strange.

Edited by Douglas Mackenzie
  • Agree 2
  • Well Said 2

• tm4tj unpinned this topic