FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Arbroath home April2024

tm4tj

So absolutely delighted for Alex Samuel .He gives so much every week even though he gets battered from one end of the pitch to the other .Well deserved MoM .Also happy for Wallace Duffy ….Now we got the result we really needed to give us any hope please don’t let it slip . Great effort from all today .C,mon we can do it …..Get behind the team..Looking forward to Queens .

Edited by izzy
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Well Said 7

Good result considering our defensive setup - looking at how poor arbroath were for most of the first half I'm surprised we continued with 3 CB's. Showed them too much respect and almost paid the price for it...they scored with their only shot.

Hope some confidence has been restored with the result, quite a few decent performances today but again not enough converted chances. Hats off to Samuel, he was up for it from the first minute and deserved his reward.

A good platform to build from next week.

• Agree 3
  • Well Said 1

It’s a long time since I’ve left the ground feeling as good as I did today.

In difficult conditions, I thought we did very well.

We won the toss and chose to play with the wind. With the wind advantage, we seemed eager to play more directly than in recent home games and to press Arbroath and even shoot on sight.

We could easily have been two up after five minutes, with Samuel hitting the bar and their ‘keeper saving a good effort.

The game settled and I was worried our territorial advantage and chances were not going to see us get a lead, but a very good finish by Duffy got us in front.

In the second half, we were less direct, presumably as we were playing into the gale, but we made the better chances. Arbroath scored with their only attempt on goal in the whole game, but credit our players for digging deep and getting the win with a tremendous finish by Samuel (who took some stick from the Arbroath defence all game but kept looking for more).

We thoroughly deserved the win and hopefully we now have momentum for the critical visit to Queens Park next week.

Well done to all!

Edited by Robert
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

Game should have been over 1st half. we were all over them
Great save from Arbroath keeper boruc ( cousin of ex Celtic keeper artur boruc ) from a  Samual  hit from edge of box  heading in top bins but he got fingers on it to put it onto bar and out for corner.

couple of mins later Samuel had a turn and hit from inside the box but boruc got down low to his left to save again.

late on in 1st half Anderson was played in but his poor effort couldn’t beat boruc from a couple of yards.

was disappointed how we started 2nd half. Tippy tippy nonsense across the back line, no urgency to take throw ins and free kicks. One ball went out for a bye kick. Instead of taking the spare ball from the ball boy behind the goal ridgers walked slowly over to the corner flag to retrieve the original. We’re we counting down the clock that early.

I felt we were not building on the performance of the first half and letting Arbroath come at us instead. Turned to my mate and said this is going to cost us. Arbroath took the gift and a fantastic hit from  outside the box whissed  past ridgers for the equaliser. Loud boo’s from the home support.

I have seen this tactic from Ferguson before, when we are up he tends to defend the lead rather than try to extend it.

samual had no right to win the ball in the box, turn and smash in the winner. It was pure strength.

if we had taken our chances it could have been 3 or 4 goal win and confidence boost to take to Hampden especially after queens 5 goal hammering today.

• Agree 6

1 hour ago, Yngwie said:

Notable that McGregor was overlooked again, Longstaff and Doran being preferred from the bench.

I’m really surprised we are not using MacGregor. I’ve no issue with Lawal, who works hard and has some nice touches, but MacGregor should be in the team ahead of him.

• Agree 1

Spare a thought tonight for Remi Savage who took a significant boot in the face. Hope he is well.

Alex Samuel was superb today in a very good team performance. 

With Luis Longstaff back today we had a slightly stronger bench. Under no circumstances do we want to lose next week. 

• Agree 6

28 minutes ago, CELTIC1CALEY3 said:

Spare a thought tonight for Remi Savage who took a significant boot in the face. Hope he is well.

It looked a really sore one when he was caught by Cammy Kerr. It looked like he (Savage) tried to pull out but too late. 

• Thank You 2

Good to experience that winning feeling again. Having said that, we did make life difficult for ourselves by not capitalising on our first half dominance. Let’s face it, Arbroath were awful. On a day made for shooting from distance, we were again generally shot shy. Hopefully others will take a cue from the excellent Alex Samuel. 
The one disappointing thing for me today was that despite some good noisy support from the North stand, only Ridgers and Samuel could be bothered to come anywhere near the fans at the end.  Given the cheers and prolonged applause which followed the final whistle I would have thought the guys would have been keen to have some positive interaction with the home crowd for a change. Maybe most of them are not expecting to be here next season. 

• Agree 4

At this stage of the season and in the position we find ourselves then results are way more important than performance.

The team got the job done today and we now need the same again next week.

• Agree 1
  • Well Said 1

2 hours ago, CELTIC1CALEY3 said:

Agree, hope the guy is OK but it got devine on, who is a fighter and battler. To me the kind of guy you want on the park and plays like it means something to him in every game.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

51 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

Agree, hope the guy is OK but it got devine on, who is a fighter and battler. To me the kind of guy you want on the park and plays like it means something to him in every game.

I agree although I think Savage has been good playing for us.  On the game today as others have said we were very good in the first half played well, quick passing, going forward with the ball at speed and and Arbroath struggled to cope, we could have had a few goals if it wasn't for their keeper!  In the second half we were our usual at home sitting back and we struggled.  We have to play a full game at the tempo that we played the first half if we are going to stay in this league.  A lot happier than I have been for a long time but we have to keep pushing!

• Agree 3

Arbroath never really got a look-in in the first half, but pretty much absorbed all we threw at them. We got a lift from the goal and really piled on the pressure for the remaining few minutes, looking to double the lead.

Second half we seemed to sit back and allowed Arbroath the chance to equalise and I really thought "here we go again".

Delighted with the result though - did we really win at home!?

Reality check though - we struggled to get a home win against the basement team, even when they had a man sent off! Hope we can do better next week.

• Agree 2

An extremely important 3 points yesterday which puts us within touching distance of Queen's and possibly even Ayr. Our game next week at Hampden is a hugely important fixture in the long term future of the club and I would implore all fans to get themselves along to Hampden next week.

Irrespective of your thoughts on this stinker of a season, Ferguson, Gardiner, the board, battery farms, concert ventures and our multitude of other shortcomings we need as many fans as possible at Hampden to cheer the team on. 

• Agree 1
  • Well Said 3

Happy days as long as the momentum keeps running. Can officially stop looking over our shoulder at Arbroath results and look up the table. Not officially clear of the automatic drop zone, but unless Arbroath win by 9.25 goals in each of their last 4 fixtures, we should be fine to chase Queens down. Massive 6 pointer at Hampden next weekend.

• Like 1

Pos Team Pld W D L F A Pts
Still plenty work to do, but Arbroath are fecked
1. Dundee Utd 32 19 8 5 64 21 65
2. Raith Rovers 31 18 7 6 51 39 61
3. Partick Thistle 32 13 11 8 58 50 50
4. Airdrieonians 31 13 6 12 39 36 45
5. Dunfermline 32 11 9 12 38 42 42
6. Morton 31 11 7 13 38 37 40
7. Ayr United 31 11 5 15 44 56 38
8. Queens Park 32 9 9 14 43 55 36
9. Inverness CT 32 8 11 13 36 37 35
10. Arbroath 32 6 5 21 34 72 23

59 minutes ago, old caley girl said:

Anyone know why game started so late yesterday? 

Ref's radio wasn't working apparently. 

• Like 1

There is the possibility that Sean Welsh may be suspended for next week. He did not play many league games for us this season but from what I can see was only booked in his final game away to Ayr. The official Queens Park record shows he has been booked 6 times for them in the league but one of those resulted in a sending off. Am sure Queens will check this!!! 6 bookings in one competition equals a suspension.

• Like 1

• tm4tj unpinned this topic