ICT Supporters Trust Statement: Pre-season

ICT Supporters Trust

The Supporters Trust has issued a fresh statement about the ongoing situation today, which is being sent to all members. You can read it on this link:

https://www.ictsupporterstrust.org/post/statement-pre-season-2024

The Trust Board will continue to work on behalf of our members and the wider fan base, and we would welcome further members. Anyone joining now will have their membership apply until the end of July 2025. You can join using this link:

https://www.ictsupporterstrust.org/join-us

Many of you who supported our Stronger Together initiative indicated (understandably) that you would not contribute as long as the CEO was at the club. Given that the club has publicly confirmed that they have accepted his resignation, you can use the link below to contribute to this initiative, either through a subscription or by making a donation. As confirmed before, the Trust Board will only use this to purchase shares in the club when it is has sought and received commitments from the club Board on behalf of the Trust's members:

https://www.ictsupporterstrust.org/stronger-together

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Thank You 1
  • Well Said 8

• Robert pinned and featured this topic

Some may read this and conclude the trust, in confirming a shift in their formal position with regards to advance purchasing, were not, and have never been, privy to any meaningful discussions with regards to potential avenues for re capitalising the club. If this is the case it could then be argued this new stance should have been the trusts position from immediately after the last public utterance from the CSD (Club Stasis Department). Not a criticism merely an observation that if there was no insight as to what was happening a united front may have been the smart play from the outset. If there was indeed an insight then the club has now, it would appear, excluded the trust from future dialogue ( were the club simply spinning plates as well as statements ? ) if so it could be contested any gentlemen's agreement between club/trust is now off the table.

To all intents and purposes, certainly to this particular layman, it seems the fans and wider audience are being deliberately starved of specifics within the close season timeline, and, given the accounts remain outstanding, it wouldn't take a leap of imagination to imagine the club strategy may be, that on a set date they call in the administrator citing low season ticket and merchandise sales = immediate working capital / cashflow crisis so pointing the finger directly at the fan base, and away from those who most deserve criticism. 

Notwithstanding the fan base and trust are being treated with disdain, but alienating the media is really not a smart play.  

• Agree 1
  • Well Said 2

8 minutes ago, Leaky Blinder said:

To all intents and purposes, certainly to this particular layman, it seems the fans and wider audience are being deliberately starved of specifics within the close season timeline

It's a reasonable assumption that if there was any good news, they'd be falling over themselves to tell us.

Therefore, there isn't any.

• Like 1
  • Thoughtful 1

21 minutes ago, Leaky Blinder said:

To all intents and purposes, certainly to this particular layman, it seems the fans and wider audience are being deliberately starved of specifics within the close season timeline, and, given the accounts remain outstanding, it wouldn't take a leap of imagination to imagine the club strategy may be, that on a set date they call in the administrator citing low season ticket and merchandise sales = immediate working capital / cashflow crisis so pointing the finger directly at the fan base, and away from those who most deserve criticism. 

Every fan would immediately call the club out if it is stupid enough to blame fans for the demise of the club. We all know the real reasons why things are in such a mess, and it’s nothing to do with the actions of fans, and definitely not due to the actions of the Trust. 

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Robert said:

Every fan would immediately call the club out if it is stupid enough to blame fans for the demise of the club. We all know the real reasons why things are in such a mess, and it’s nothing to do with the actions of fans, and definitely not due to the actions of the Trust. 

That goes without saying, but we shouldn't underestimate the sheer ineptitude of the current board and/or advisers

• Agree 4
  • Well Said 1

Due to the u turn by the Trust I would be worried about being one of those punters who purchased a season ticket or club merchandise after the initial meeting. 
Astonished that the Trust took the Boards word at that same meeting on the weak premise that communication would improve and everything will be ok.

Even the press are now getting the silent treatment from the Club maybe they should attempt to contact ex players/legends/managers to get their say.

I’m not going to name anyone publicly but I’m very surprised that some individuals have not said anything unless they know of something they are not willing to divulge. 

Dougal

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Well Said 2

The Trust has been working hard for a number of years to establish a meaningful and constructive relationship.  Such a relationship would clearly be in the best interests of the club and the community it serves.  Unfortunately the club has only engaged sporadically, yet the Trust has continued to offer support and help to the club.  Working together for the mutual benefit of the club and the supporters is, after all, the purpose of the Trust.

As a former Trust Board member and Chair, I know how hard the Trust Board has always worked to keep lines of communication open despite all the knock backs from the club over the years.  It therefore saddens me to read the latest statement from the Trust.  It is clear that despite the Trust's very significant efforts in these past few weeks, the point has been reached where the Trust feels it is obliged to take radical action to shock the club's management out of its self-destructive path.  This will have been a very difficult decision for the current Trust Board to have taken and I applaud them for doing so.

The Trust's previous statement was very different in that it was encouraging fans to buy their season tickets and club merchandise.  They will have been well aware that this was at odds to the views expressed by over 200 fans at the Caley Club a few days earlier.  They felt able to give that encouragement by accepting, in good faith, assurances provided by the club which it now transpires were worthless.  It is self-evident that assurances about communications have not been honoured, because there has been no communication.  We don't know whether there was any truth in the club's statement about discussions with potential investors, but what we do know is that if there had been such discussions, they haven't delivered what one would expect "hugely promising discussions" to deliver.  

No doubt the Trust will continue to seek dialogue both with those currently in charge and with potential investors.  As fans, we need to support the Trust in their continuing efforts to secure a sustainable future for the club.  Potential investors need to know that the support for the club is strong but that there is no support for those currently running (ruining) the club.  

• Well Said 4

9 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

the Trust feels it is obliged to take radical action to shock the club's management out of its self-destructive path.  This will have been a very difficult decision for the current Trust Board to have taken and I applaud them for doing so.

The Trust's previous statement was very different in that it was encouraging fans to buy their season tickets and club merchandise.  They will have been well aware that this was at odds to the views expressed by over 200 fans at the Caley Club a few days earlier.  They felt able to give that encouragement by accepting, in good faith, assurances provided by the club which it now transpires were worthless.  It is self-evident that assurances about communications have not been honoured, because there has been no communication.  We don't know whether there was any truth in the club's statement about discussions with potential investors, but what we do know is that if there had been such discussions, they haven't delivered what one would expect "hugely promising discussions" to deliver.  

I am beginning to suspect the true motivations of those in charge at the club, and consequently whether the club will survive.

They appear to have little or no regard for the club, its history, the players nor the supporters.

Those in charge seem to have a separate agenda, to the detriment of the club, which will perhaps benefit them and no-one else.

Are people really applauding the supporters trust here?

They refused to properly back the fans actions following the meeting.  Then came out with a statement encouraging us to do the opposite and have now done a complete about turn with little to no explanation of the original position or the change.

Not looking for anyone to round on them but also don't think we should be blowing smoke up their butts.

• Agree 3
  • Well Said 5

2 minutes ago, STFU said:

They refused to properly back the fans actions following the meeting.  Then came out with a statement encouraging us to do the opposite and have now done a complete about turn with little to no explanation of the original position or the change.

Not looking for anyone to round on them but also don't think we should be blowing smoke up their butts.

I sadly can’t disagree with this comment. The situation at the club is so embarrassing. I want to support and back the club but finding it extremely difficult to do so. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, STFU said:

I couldn’t agree more. I found it bizarre they were so willing to back buying season tickets on assurances from a board that are clearly less than trustworthy. 

• Agree 6

1 hour ago, vinnie87 said:

I couldn’t agree more. I found it bizarre they were so willing to back buying season tickets on assurances from a board that are clearly less than trustworthy. 

I think they got hoodwinked in the same way we all have at some point. There are one or perhaps two people on the board that appear to be trying to get things done, and they (ST) wanted to believe or took a leap of faith that this would happen, and they (Board member[s]) would be true to their word. Whether the board member[s] were farting against thunder and couldn't get things done for some reason at board level, or it was all just blowing smoke at the ST, the assurances the ST got clearly didn't come to pass. 

• I think the line in the sand for many is that the CEO needs to be gone first and foremost. We know he has resigned and is working his notice, but we have no idea what that period is and when he will leave for good. Is it a week? a month? 3 months? 6 months?  Rightly or wrongly, he is clearly the largest lightning rod for criticism and the focus of all the blame. We will probably never know the full details but clearly very few people want to do anything at, or for, the club while he is still there. 

• Personally, I am disappointed in the board also. I have never been one to jump on any #SackTheBoard type campaigns but its getting almost impossible to have any other opinion of the current incumbents of the ivory tower. With the treatment of Doran, Esson and others, as well as the complete and utter lack of any communication or apparent action coming from this board, what else are we to think? These people are elected by the shareholders, to work for the good and benefit of ICT FC. Clearly, they have not fulfilled that role on multiple levels and don't even have the balls to come out and tell it like it is, and spearhead a call to get back to basics and foster the TogetherNESS that worked well in the past. We have players not contacted since May. Even if the manager is on holiday, sipping cocktails and enjoying himself knowing his own contract was secure, then surely the Director of Football or another director should be talking to these players. More worrying is the accounts situation. I don't pretend to understand the dates and company law rules, but it is not rocket science to know they will not be good and could be triggering in terms of admin events. 

• The manager gets lumped in with the board here. He should not have gone on holiday without letting his squad know where each and every one of them stood for next season. Some difficult conversations for sure, and maybe some wage negotiations if anyone is a relatively high earner but we want to keep them (and they want to stay) but to completely ignore the squad, is unforgiveable. It certainly seems contrary to the process we used to do as someone mentioned elsewhere in this or another thread.  I get that we possibly can't afford to pay him off, and there is likely no way he will walk away as if he does, he will have yet another 'failure' on his record in club management. Best for all would be him swallowing his pride, adjusting his management style (autocrats rarely ever win in the end), and trying to do well this season. If he does well, we do well, and if he does really well, perhaps someone 'bigger' might come looking for him 🙂     

• Agree 1
  • Well Said 3

32 minutes ago, Scotty said:
  • These people are elected by the shareholders

Are they?  I was looking up the Articles of Association the other day.  There's a later revision to them, which amongst other things, allows the directors to appoint other directors.

So were the shareholders involved in electing any of the current board?

And do a third of them offer themselves for re-election every year, as required by the A of A?

I'll dig out the exact references if anyone wants.  The documents are at the Companies House website.

elected or co-opted is important but makes no real difference in this situation. Their purpose on being on the board, however they got there, is to work for "the good and benefit of" the club. I don't see much of that. We do seem to "re-elect" on a regular basis, its one of those things that get lumped into the AGMs (when held!) as a motion to re-elect en-masse the directors who need to stand for re-election. As there are seldom any actual elections its really just a rubber stamp to renew a term. Perhaps if the board will not co-opt a Supporters Trust member at the next AGM (if and whenever held) then we could nominate one or more people to see if that triggered actual voting!    

• Agree 1
  • Thank You 1

Catching up on this thread, as someone (STFU, I think, but apologies if it was someone else) has said elsewhere, this is not the time for fans to be arguing amongst themselves, as that will merely be what SG wants to see.

I know this is a Forum and debating is good, but we really need to stand together at this time and avoid recriminations.

If nothing else, the statement will hopefully have resonated with some on the Board and may prompt them to get things concluded and fans updated. It is likely that today’s squad update was issued as a result of what the Trust said yesterday.

I understand the absolute deadline for the submission of the accounts to 31 May 2023 is the end of this month, which presumably means close of business on Friday. I believe our licence is at risk if we miss that deadline, but I know others are more clued up on this than me, and will be able to correct this if my understanding is wrong.

• Agree 1
  • Facepalm 1

7 hours ago, STFU said:

I seem to recollect that at the meeting in the Social Club, it was suggested that there were legal reasons preventing the Supporters’ Trust from publicly supporting a ban. Has the legal situation changed, then?

• Agree 1
  • Thoughtful 2

18 minutes ago, Charles Bannerman said:

I seem to recollect that at the meeting in the Social Club, it was suggested that there were legal reasons preventing the Supporters’ Trust from publicly supporting a ban. Has the legal situation changed, then?

Someone challenged the legality claim made at the meeting and it would appear they were right to do so given the trust's latest statement.

57 minutes ago, Charles Bannerman said:

I suggested in a post here beforehand that someone at the club might take umbrage at the Trust recommending a boycott, and might consider legal proceedings.  But, not being a lawyer, I didn't know whether such a case could be made, nor how likely it was to happen.

Maybe Chinese whispers turned that into something less vague?

1 hour ago, Charles Bannerman said:

On what basis though? A private club with no actual connection to the football club (not supported financial) other than a common interest suggests that members of the public consider carefully whether to shop there until as individuals they are (as individuals) satisfied they consider it good value? Surely its all about how you word it and presentation of the point, or were they really going to say 'don't buy season tickets or avoid financial transactions with the club because they are a bunch of ***insert slanderous & libelous statementing*** aka cowboys and full of lies.'..............in which case then I could see why the club may take action at such accusations.