FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

ICT -V- Gretna : matchday thread

Scotty

40-45 actually and there was 8 or 9 of us policing them.easy money.haha.the gretna fans are good banter cause they know they are s***.

a very professional performance today.3 goals before half-time and then brewster made the right subs at the right times.reintroducing markus and roy.then giving bayne a run.he maybe could've put a youth player on then instead of bayne.

another 3 goals at home.a clean sheet and a good crowd for a gretna game.a pretty good day at the office.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not meaning to put a downer on a 3-0 win or anything, but I felt that our second half performance was our worst of the season.  We gave the ball away constantly!  Had we been playing someone higher up the table than Gretna, we would have been punished heavily with that performance.  Credit to Fraser though he kept the clean sheet and made some good saves in doing so (my MotM).

Not meaning to put a downer on a 3-0 win or anything, but I felt that our second half performance was our worst of the season.  We gave the ball away constantly!  Had we been playing someone higher up the table than Gretna, we would have been punished heavily with that performance.  Credit to Fraser though he kept the clean sheet and made some good saves in doing so (my MotM).

The point is that we were playing against a relatively poor team. This led to complacency and a lack of cutting edge at some points. Even so we had good chances to add another 3 or 4 goals.

I can't see how the second half performance can be said to be worse than the first half against Motherwell.

Guest TinCanFan

Here's my player ratings:

1. Fraser - 7/10 - Had little to do for most of the game but did have a number of decent saves.

2. Tokely - 7/10 - I thought he also had a good game.

8. Black - 6.5 - Not one of his best games and but played okay.

12. Duncan - 6.5 - Like Black he was quiet for large parts of the game.

14. Munro - 7/10 - Looked fairly solid.

15. Cowie - 6/10 - Not one of his better games at all and missed a shot in the first half he really should've scored.

16. Hastings - 7/10 - Played well and had a decent shot saved in the first half.

18. Nicuale - 8/10 - He was immense today.  Two good goals and some great slinky skills.

19. Wyness - 6.5/10 - Okay but not as good as usual though.

24. Rankin - 7/10 - Not bad.

29. Proctor - 7/10 - Played well as a centre back.

Subs:

20. Pattaleinan - 7/10 - Played very well when he came on and was unlucky not to score.

6. McBain - 4/10 - Did little in the short time he was on.

9. Bayne - 6/10 - Not bad in the short time he was on.

lighten up mate

we've just won 3-0 to end a conjested christmas period on a high.  Winning 7 games from 9 and a unbeaten home record of 5 on the trot.  Of course there is going to be some sort of complacency it's just more important that we keep doing what we're doing especially after the start of the season we had

basically... enjoy it while it lasts

All comments on here about the commentary today are my feelings exactly.

"Commentator's refrain..."Oh it's so boring on here  just now, the game has gone flat... oh my, I 'll just tell you then that Birmingham is going to lose and Alex McLeish will be unhappy, Blackburn blah blah , and Wigan is beating so and so---oh and the stunning news just in on my ticker Huddersfield are doing a number o9n a bigger fish etc" Man oh man it was really bad today. I have complained to the BBC before about this bgut oit seems that no one seems to get it.

And to think it had to happen at the only game (I think) which was broadcast today overseas. I think Mike Smith must have relented  and ordered the game to be broadcast since we overseasers are sooooo enthusiastic about getting our Saturday gemme! :clapping03:

As for Marcus' hairdo, maybe he is playing King Henry the 5th at Eden Court in the upcoming Production of ....Henry 5,..... for light relief from the hectic  training..  :002:

I agree with Jay. We were pretty poor in the 2nd half but then again it was simply a training exercise by that point. Still, we could have hit at least 7 although Gretna had some good chances as well.

Easy win for us and I thought the whole team were good. I noted Blackie ripping Niculae a few times for losing possession  :015:

Not really much can be said. The result was never in doubt beforehand.

Guest sophia

Hey TCF, I was also impressed with Marius? slinky display today he was like a coiled spring. Some of his touches were top notch.

Its time for the BBC to shake it up a bit.

Statler and Waldorf were not at their worst today but I feel that was only due to the fact that they didn?t know much about Gretna and were therefore forced to talk about ICT!

I was particularly tickled by the comment from Irvine about Gretna?s non Caucasian striker shortly after Scott Davie had informed us he has come from Chinese and Rumanian football, along the lines of:

?Its not this cold where he comes from?.

Here was I under the impression that Asia and central Europe tend to be a bit on the cold side in wintertime!

RiG - "The result was never in doubt beforehand".

Dangerous talk!

Every victory has to be earned - each game starts at 0-0 and 11-11.

RiG - "The result was never in doubt beforehand".

Dangerous talk!

Every victory has to be earned - each game starts at 0-0 and 11-11.

Perhaps over confidence on my part although that's something I can't be accused of often! That said I was in no doubt that we are by far a better team than Gretna and we would adequately take care of them today and the lads were thoroughly professional in doing so.

If they are to have any chance of staying up they need to sign players before they ripping apart their squad in such dramatic fashion as they are currently doing.

Just back from the game, don't think we were bad at all, we were very professional against an extremely poorly organised side. Gretna turned up today, and there was 5 minutes in the first half before we scored when Yantorno was pissing all over us. They have some good players, but an unbeleivably clueless manager. They should take heart, however, from the fact that Hearts are in meltdown. We played some good stuff in patches and we were strong defensively, minus a few slip ups in the first half.

Frasrer-His usual self

Hastings-Really beginning to play like a full back now, has combined last years superb defensive preformances with a new found freedom to get forward, getting down the flank and putting in a cross.

Munro-Solid and commanding, back to his superb best.

Proctor-Excellent game, Proctor is one of the fittest players in our squad, and reads the game very well.

Tokely-Still not tracking back fast enough for my liking, but unlike every other manager in this league, clueless Irons didn't clock on to that. Got forward and linked up with players well.

Cowie-Looked off the pace, perhaps I'm paranoid, but I fear his relationship with the fans, the coach and his team mates is totally off at the moment.

Black- Didn't take the game by the scruff of the neck like he usually does, but still an excellent preformance by our most talented individual.

Rankin- Had a funny game today, perhaps alot to do with recent speculation, one minute his cross would fair to make it past the first man, the next he is drilling one in to the box with the perfect ammount of accuracy and speed, one of those that "just needs a touch."

Wyness- I actually thought he had an excellent game :024: Excellent first touch and linked up well with Marius, unlucky with his header. There was one delightful pass where, from the middle of the park he chipped it over the Gretna boys head and into space.

Niculae- Excellent preformance, what a change from Wednesday. For all the critisiscm he's got on this thread, listening to the radio on the way back, Irvine got it spot on, he looked like an international player today.

McBain- His usual self. I am a massive fan.

Bayne- Another one thats off the pace, see Cowie :024:

Patty- Excellent preformance, direct and powerful, with just the right amount of skill. I thought it was quite funny when h got pulled up for fouling the same Gretna player about three times in 2 minutes.

All in all good preformance, bring on Hibs

I need to go on wikipedia and find out who Statler and Waldorf are...

That's about as easy as it gets in the SPL, I suppose (except when we did them at Fir Park).

Niculae's first goal was a cracker, not least because of Duncan's magnificent run to set it up.  I thought Duncan was fantastic today, and he brought a great save out of Caig in the second half.

As said before, the second half was a bit of a kickabout - I think that we could have stepped up a gear and scored more if we'd needed to, but they've played a lot of games over the festive period so I think they were entitled to take the foot off the gas a bit.

And a well done to Rossco, who, after being slagged a lot following Pittodrie (not least by me) had a very good game today.

there was 5 minutes in the first half before we scored when Yantorno was pissing all over us.

I must have missed these 5 minutes. Yantorno was rubbish.

I thought him and Skelton were easily there best players. I was even pondering Yantorno as a possible replacement for Rankin  :024:

Wyness- I actually thought he had an excellent game :024: Excellent first touch and linked up well with Marius, unlucky with his header. There was one delightful pass where, from the middle of the park he chipped it over the Gretna boys head and into space.

I thought Wyness had a nightmare today and he's normally a very good player for us. He brushed aside time and time again, didn't look interested and rarely broke out of a trot. I couldn't believe it when Niculae was taken off instead of him

It must have been you that voted for Mcbain as MoTM on the POY vote then. He was only on the park 15 mins  :015:

I thought him and Skelton were easily there best players. I was even pondering Yantorno as a possible replacement for Rankin  :024:

Yantorno is a sand dancer and I really don't think he is any good at all. Thought we dealt with him easily. Skelton was poor as well. I thought he was over run in midfield and while he broke forward a few times his final ball was appalling.

I thought Wyness had a nightmare today and he's normally a very good player for us. He brushed aside time and time again, didn't look interested and rarely broke out of a trot. I couldn't believe it when Niculae was taken off instead of him

Saying he had a nightmare is a bit harsh. His control and passing in the first 30mins was poor (but Cowie, Rankin and Black suffered the same problem till we got the first goal). He then came onto a bit of a game before tiring towards the.

Remember that he is coming back from a hamstring injury and needs to gain match fitness back. Staying on the park instead of Marius (when we were 3-0 up) was of more value. Denzil is a player similar to Michael Owen in that they take time to get back into the swing of things after being injured.

I actually thought that a few of the players looked a bit jaded towards the end (four games in the past two weeks taking its toll). Gretna tired much more however and this is again an example of the benefits of Brews fitness regime.

there was 5 minutes in the first half before we scored when Yantorno was pissing all over us.

I must have missed these 5 minutes. Yantorno was rubbish.

It must have been you that voted for Mcbain as MoTM on the POY vote then. He was only on the park 15 mins  :015:

I never do vote on POTY :029:

Beneath those YouTube highlights someone has commented :

"fantastic player Marius Niculaie...Marius you are the dog untill you die!"

Am I getting old and just not understanding the youth of today, or is this perhaps a Romanian saying?