FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Kessock Bridge Fireworks on Youtube

Caley

. The budget sees a surpluss of ?417,000 of which ?250,000 went to the celebrations. Dont you think, in all honesty, that they should be commended on their control of the figures instead of being ridiculed.

Au contraire Alex...i reffered to the YEARLY figures which can be found here http://www.highland.gov.uk/NR/rdonlyres/7E...DDA6/0/AC11.pdf.

Quite frankly, are you taking the p1ss when you say they should be commended for giving 250k of the remaining 417k for 15 mins of fireworks? Thats laughable to me. If i read correctly, the whole Highland 2007 event had an UNDERSPEND of several millions of of pounds.....so to take from the CGF is nothing short of scandalous and heads should roll!

For some reason my link appears not to be working but it was the projected annual figures, the year not ending till March 31st, that I took my info from. CGF donated ?250k. Everyone else donated a total of ?48m to Highland Culture. There is not such thing as an underspend. All that monies will be used in the coming years to promote cultural learnings all around the highlands.

And before asking if I'm taking the p!ss re-read what I wrote. I said, "The budget sees a surpluss of ?417,000 of which ?250,000 went to the celebrations. Dont you think, in all honesty, that they should be commended on their control of the figures instead of being ridiculed".

Whether or not I think the fireworks were right or wrong, and personally I think all firework should be banned, I am commending on control of funds and the fact that a surplus looks like being achieved.

Stop moaning and bitching everyone!!   It's over - some people agreed with it and enjoyed it, some people hated it and strongly objected to it - either way your city tried to give the area something different to mark the end of the thing.

I feel sorry for people who try to provide the area with a wee bit colour and excitement (?!) on a dark, depressing winter's night in the Highlands...they were on a hiding to nothing with you lot of moaning minies.

Guest TinCanFan

I feel sorry for people who try to provide the area with a wee bit colour and excitement (?!)

And they failed miserably.

on a dark, depressing winter's night in the Highlands.

I was more depressed after I saw that.

Stop moaning and bitching everyone!!  

No

Stop moaning and bitching everyone!!   It's over - some people agreed with it and enjoyed it, some people hated it and strongly objected to it - either way your city tried to give the area something different to mark the end of the thing.

I feel sorry for people who try to provide the area with a wee bit colour and excitement (?!) on a dark, depressing winter's night in the Highlands...they were on a hiding to nothing with you lot of moaning minies.

I don't think a fireworks display is different, in fact it must be one of the most common ways to celebrate the end of any cultural event (sporting events like the commonwealth games &olympics; footy world cup; rugby world cup, new years, christmas, bonfire night, etc. What if they had a free concert or something random like that? Or what if they donated 250,000 to charities - surely more people would reap real benefit from that - perhaps economically but certainly socially. If and when i have kids i'd rather freeze my arse off at TCS watching ICT than watching over priced lighting and sound effects...

Guest TinCanFan

:015:

I heard the other day the fireworks cost more than the Sidney fireworks display.  VFM?

Doubt this is true.  The Sydney fireworks cost well over ?1M and they are actually good.

Ritchie, my point about the fireworks being different is that - as far as I'm aware anyway - this display was a first time the Kessock Bridge was used, and was maybe the biggest fireworks display the area has ever had.

Of course the money would've been better spent on a thousand other better causes, everyone accepts that.